Tell Me About Nike Clubs From Those Days

collegefbfan

Reaction score
I watched a documentary about Nike Golf. It said that Nike never made a profit from their golf sales. I wasn't really wanting clubs or 100% into getting lessons, etc. back then. What was like the ultimate game improvement irons and driver back then? Did anyone here LOVE Nike golf stuff? Or what was like the "gotta have, gotta have it now" piece of Nike equipment? Any other cool things about Nike Golf you know?

STILL rocking my Nike Slingshot hybrid... almost never use it but it is a tank when you're in trouble.

Their blades were really pretty 😍

Their wedges were really good, as many of us who went to the old THP ultimate demo day events can vouch for their performance.

Their woods were good, I don’t know why they didn’t get as much love as they should have.

I was a massive Nike Golf fan. First "real" set that I purchased for myself were a set of Nike Slingshots. Loved those freaking irons.

The Nike SQ driver was a must have in the bag for me. And pretty exclusively only played Nike balls.

Their blades were really pretty 😍

Their wedges were really good, as many of us who went to the old THP ultimate demo day events can vouch for their performance.

Their woods were good, I don’t know why they didn’t get as much love as they should have.
Those Nike VR wedges were freaking fantastic!

I went through a stretch where I liked a lot of what they put out. They definitely put out some clubs that were...ugh. But they had some highlights.

SQII is still one of my favorite fairway woods ever
Vapor Fly Pro was a good set of irons that were compact with plenty of help.
Vapor Pro Combo was a cool story of tech with a multi-piece iron set that blended from long to short iron.
VRS Forged irons were amongst the first of the forged cavity back players distance irons. Thicker sole(which I liked) and help bring that style to mid to higher handicap golfers.
STR8 fit adapter the final handful of years was the best in the business. Esp when they chopped weight from it for the Vapor range.

They sounded like ****, quality control was ****.
They got much better when Nate got there and handled R&D, before that, "good" would not be the word I would use to describe them.

They got much better when Nate got there and handled R&D, before that, "good" would not be the word I would use to describe them.
Drivers and fairways legit had to be the worst sounding clubs of any back in those days.

I didn’t think they were all bad. Originally, sure. Got better when the Ignite line came out and the SQ stuff. Not the sumo, it got a little rough there.

I may also be remembering the fairway woods and not the drivers, or blending them together

I didn’t think they were all bad. Originally, sure. Got better when the Ignite line came out and the SQ stuff. Not the sumo, it got a little rough there.

I may also be remembering the fairway woods and not the drivers, or blending them together
Ignite 450 was a good sounding driver. Nice shape to it too.

I have never played a Nike club.

Ignite 450 was a good sounding driver. Nice shape to it too.
Agreed. It may get a little fuzzy after that but that’s irrelevant

oh and their golf balls were Bridgestone.

VR Pro irons were really good.

SQ stuff had the worst QC of any driver since I have been doing this. That adapter weighed like 4x what other brands had and broke a lot. Dymo followed it and the QC got better, but the driver was slow.

When Nate came on, you saw his stuff start to take shape with Vapor

SQ stuff had the worst QC of any driver since I have been doing this. That adapter weighed like 4x what other brands had and broke a lot. Dymo followed it and the QC got better, but the driver was slow.

When Nate came on, you saw his stuff start to take shape with Vapor
I remember that stuff being good.

Didn’t know the SQ QC was bad though. Adapter I knew about, and how it turned everything basically into a hook.

I remember that stuff being good.

Didn’t know the SQ QC was bad though. Adapter I knew about, and how it turned everything basically into a hook.
Back in those days, Tiger was using it, if he had one of those bachelorette things with a male anatomy on the end, you would have used it. :ROFLMAO:

My only foray into Nike gear was a set of CCi Forged cavity backs. They were more demanding clubs than I should have been playing at the time but when I managed to hit them as intended they were excellent performers. Great looking satin finish, thin top line and minimal offset. Wish I still had them just to mess with occasionally.

Back in those days, Tiger was using it, if he had one of those bachelorette things with a male anatomy on the end, you would have used it. :ROFLMAO:
Prototype swoosh logo, totally adds length off the tee.

I was a staff player for them for a while, always liked their forged clubs, I played the original blades, the VR Pro II blades and like the VR Limited driver and fairways (the last glued driver they made. One Black ball was great as well.

Their Vapor lines are truly the first clubs I ever WANTED. Like needed them. I had two Nike drivers, four fairways (still have one and think it’s one of the best fairways ever), irons, putter and balls. I loved all of it and was truly bummed when they stopped making gear.

1708714569082.png

Sexy Gina Carano GIF

oh and their golf balls were Bridgestone.
Nike PD Soft was my ball of choice back in those days. Loved that ball. Has to be just a e6 though, right?

Back