Tendonitis - Golfers Elbow

Thanks will try the tape. I practice off Mats and Grass depending on driving range. I have been trying to avoid REST and ICE. Afraid my small swing improvements will vanish....

It is boring but rest and ice.

Exactly this. I took a month off after the 2012 Morgan Cup because of this and have had no issues since.

You do NOT want this to become chronic. So a month off beats dealing with it forever.

Okay will listen to the voice of reason....

If rest,ice and other simple remedies do not provide relief in a reasonable time take a look at WWW.TENEXHEALTH.COM
This procedure uses ultrasound to locate damaged tissue.It can then go in an quickly cut and remove the damaged tissue which is the source of the pain.It should be covered by your medical insurance.
Above all do not take repeated cortisone injections.

Thanks. Really appreciate your advice. :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Voltaren gel. I had to get a shot of cortisone in my right elbow which worked great. The Dr also gave me a Rx for Voltaren too which he recommended I use before I play and have had no problems since. My left started acting up and he said use the gel on it. A week later no pain. I hate pills so a topical was perfect for me.

I have had it in the outer portion of my left (lead arm) and it has been a bear. I have tried rest (no more hitting the range 2-3 times a week) and try to stretch my wrist whenever possible.

Along with that, Advil/Aleve, ice and a compression wrap for when I do actually play. It has gotten better but I think I will give it a several weeks to a full month off around the holidays.

good luck!

Active Release Technique or Trigger Point ?

I don't know. He just gave my elbow a good crack and said I should have told him after it hurt for a week instead of waiting a few months.

I have cubital tunnel syndrome that flares up at least once a month. I use a compression sleeve to give some added support and it usually helps it calm down after a day or so. I try to last through the season and allow the winter for rest, it isn't the best plan, but I have managed the last ten years this way.

The only way to get ride of pain outside of drugs is to stop doing what is causing the pain. I'd take a break and allow time to heal the pain.

Any advice on dealing with elbow pain?

You have lots of good advice already. Is it pain on the inside or outside? If inside (golfer's elbow) then lay off hitting off mats and stay off the range if you are a digger. That and Meloxicam (generic Mobic) keeps the pain down for me unless I bump it or something. Meloxicam seems to work a lot better for me than the OTC stuff.

Out side lateral proximal radial humerus join. Rest. Massage therapy. Anti-inflammatory meds. So far.

So I'll start by saying that I'm not a good golfer, but I'm good at diagnosing and treating injuries like these. I can tell you what has helped others and hopefully you can benefit from some of it. By the way, I agree with the other posts here about ice, rest, but I would lean towards Active Release Technique and Acupuncture for your type of injury.

Most often injuries like this don't happen because of WHAT you do, but HOW you do it (not yelling, just have caps for inflection). Otherwise all golfers would have elbow pain when they hit off mats, take divots, etc., but they don't. One option would be to have someone evaluate your swing (which I can't do) and change it to prevent this type of injury. Or you could work on lining your body up so your joints will be able to function the way they should with the least amount of effort. That is where I would start if I were you. Here are a couple of good books that can give you an idea of how your posture can affect your joints to cause pain and dysfunction and what you can do to correct it yourself. I am a big fan of self care because the more you know about the rights and wrongs of body mechanics, the fewer injuries you will get and the fewer interventions you'll need like Massage, Chiropractic, Injections, etc...

1. Pain Free at your PC by Pete Egoscue
2. 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back by Esther Gokhale

These books have helped countless patients of mine throughout the years become empowered so that they can start taking control of their own health saving tons of money at the same time because they don't require unnecessary treatments, injections, etc. They can show you some quick and simple ways to fix your body alignment. If your tires on your car aren't in alignment, they will wear out prematurely. Our joints are the same.

We are really a big machine of Levers (joints) and Pulleys (muscles) that need to be lined up to work properly. If you need more one on one assistance, I would look for an Egoscue practitioner in your area or someone trained in other Posture Correction Techniques like Alexander Technique to prevent these flare ups from happening over and over again in the future. They can be expensive, so I would start with the books first. These are more preventive in nature and they won't relieve your pain right away, which is why I would wind a qualified Active Release Technique practitioner and Acupuncturist (preferably trained in Sports Medicine or Orthopedics).

I hope this helps, and feel better soon!

Thank. The rest and ice is working so far.

Will be doing the reading as recommended as well.

But with a little rest I am feeling a lot better.

Thanks

Elbow pain.

Elbow pain.

Voltaren gel. I had to get a shot of cortisone in my right elbow which worked great. The Dr also gave me a Rx for Voltaren too which he recommended I use before I play and have had no problems since. My left started acting up and he said use the gel on it. A week later no pain. I hate pills so a topical was perfect for me.

I used to sell this for my previous employer. It's a legitimate product made with diclofenac (think ibuprofen), a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory in the gel. Topicals like Icy Hot and Aspercreme actually are just irritants- they make blood flow to the area, no actual anti-inflammatory in them, Voltaren Gel actually has anti-inflammatory in it. Rubbing 2-4 grams around the entire area, not just on the point of pain, works wonders. The orthopods I used to call-on prescribed this religiously since it's non-systemic, meaning, it doesn't get into the blood stream and travel throughout the body. That's an issue with oral meds due to causing gastrointestinal bleeding... 100,000 people go to the emergency room every year from ibuprofen, and the like, overuse.

RICE, rest-ice-compression-elevation is the best. Voltaren Gel works fantastically, but it does require a prescription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Four weeks of not swinging a club. Pain only slightly better.

Send in the roids. Lol

Only physical therapy so far. Also thinking acupuncture

Only physical therapy so far. Also thinking acupuncture

Seriously. Go to a chiropractor and have him pop that elbow. Tomorrow.

Okay thanks

I used to sell this for my previous employer. It's a legitimate product made with diclofenac (think ibuprofen), a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory in the gel. Topicals like Icy Hot and Aspercreme actually are just irritants- they make blood flow to the area, no actual anti-inflammatory in them, Voltaren Gel actually has anti-inflammatory in it. Rubbing 2-4 grams around the entire area, not just on the point of pain, works wonders. The orthopods I used to call-on prescribed this religiously since it's non-systemic, meaning, it doesn't get into the blood stream and travel throughout the body. That's an issue with oral meds due to causing gastrointestinal bleeding... 100,000 people go to the emergency room every year from ibuprofen, and the like, overuse.

RICE, rest-ice-compression-elevation is the best. Voltaren Gel works fantastically, but it does require a prescription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I play a lot of tennis and have to quit every now and then because of terrible pain on the inside of my elbow ( I know golfers elbow) Could I rub this stuff on before I play so it wont flare up during play? I only ask becasue it doesnt hurt when I am not playing but is unbearble while I am. Or maybe I need furhter intervention as to why it hurts so bad.

Two months later pain finally gone.

Time off to rest was the best solution.

The best solution appears to be graphite shaft for everything but my putter

Back