The 2014-15 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't jump on this one. Hey, maybe the refs will make an equally bad call and give it back to Auburn...

Go LSU! Don't want to see Bama is the top 4.

No. 6 Gorillas Rally in Fourth Quarter for 38-31 Victory

PITTSBURG, KS — Sixth-ranked Pittsburg State University started fast, then finished in a flurry to pull out a 38-31 victory over the University of Central Missouri Saturday (Nov. 8) in front of a sellout crowd of 10,043 fans at Brandenburg Field/Carnie Smith Stadium. The win moves the Gorillas (9-1, 9-1 MIAA) one step closer to at least a shared MIAA crown, while the Mules (7-3, 7-3 MIAA) dropped from conference title contention after the slugfest.

Pitt State will travel to Edmond, Okla., to face the University of Central Oklahoma in the regular season finale next Saturday (Nov. 15). The game will be aired on the MIAA TV Network. UCO (8-2, 8-2 MIAA) posted a 45-13 win over Lindenwood University Saturday. Seventh-ranked Northwest Missouri State University (9-1, 9-1 MIAA) remained tied atop the MIAA standings, along with Pitt State, with a 42-14 road win over Emporia State University. The Bearcats will face Washburn University in Kansas City, Mo., at Arrowhead Stadium next Saturday.

In Pittsburg, quarterback Anthony Abenoja tossed a 75-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Marquise Cushon on the game's first offensive play to stake the Gorillas to a fast start. The Pitt State defense forced a pair of punts and sandwiched in a drive in which the Gorillas held UCM on downs at the PSU 24. Abenoja then led the Gorillas on an eight-play, 75-yard drive that culminated with a one-yard TD pass to tight end Kyle Swartz for a 14-0 Pitt State advantage with 45 seconds remaining in the opening period.

UCM countered with a 21-point second quarter outburst. Quarterback Hayden Hawk scored on a 12-yard touchdown run to draw the Mules within seven points, at 14-7, then one play later defensive lineman Josh Powell intercepted an Abenoja attempted screen pass and returned it 20 yards for a TD to knot the score at 14-14. The Mules intercepted another Abenoja pass and returned it 64 yards to the PSU 13, but the Gorillas defense stiffened and forced a UCM field goal attempt which was blocked by Pitt State's Jason Peete.

The Gorillas, who piled up 310 yards of offense in the first half, missed a pair of opportunities down the stretch in the period as place kicker Connor Frazell missed field goal attempts of 41 and 32 yards. His second try came as time expired in the opening half, coming on the heels of UCM driving 74 yards for a go-ahead one-yard touchdown run by running back LaVance Taylor. Pitt State put together a pair of third-quarter scoring drives to re-take the lead, 28-21. Backup QB Ramsey Hamilton scored on a four-yard run with 10:03 to play in the third period and Cushon, who caught nine passes for a career-high 221 yards, slipped free for a 47-yard touchdown reception with 3:18 to play in the period.

The Mules countered with a 10-yard TD scamper by Taylor to knot the score at 28-28 with 14:37 remaining in the game and Will Mondragon's 19-yard field goal put UCM in front 31-28 with 12:10 remaining.

Frazell booted a 40-yard field to get the Gorillas even at 31-31 with 7:20 to play in the game.

The Pitt State defense forced the Mules into a four-and-out drive, giving the offense the ball back with 5:37 to play. Abenoja, who finished the game with 428 passing yards, completed strikes of 21 and 27 yards to wide receiver Gavin Lutman on the crucial drive, before running back Jamal Tyler scooted into the end zone from 23 yards out for the winning score. The Gorillas sacked Hawk three times on UCM's final possession. Safety Keeston Terry registered two sacks, while defensive end Heath Wilson effectively ended the game with a fourth-down sack of Hawk at the UCM 19 with 1:03 remaining.

Tyler finished the game with 94 rushing yards for the Gorillas, while Lutman had seven catches for 122 yards. Taylor carried the ball 26 times for a game-high 190 yards for the Mules.

Linebacker Spencer Brown led all tacklers with 13 stops (five solo) for the Gorillas. Terry made 10 tackles with the two QB sacks and one pass break-up.

http://www.pittstategorillas.com/news/2014/11/8/FB_1108142912.aspx?path=football

Here's hoping tOSU doesn't get smoked.

Pretty sad when your only wish is to not get embarrassed .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On to TCU - K State

That play had nothing to do with luck. Just a bad decision by the center

Agreed, but there is nothing lucky about alot of the Auburn '' luck '' plays either.

The play against Georgia not withstanding.

TCU draws first blood with a TD

Go Green! See ya on the other side. Great chance for things to progress tonight with a great game.

I'm going to watch the Suckeyes and Moo U

Should be a decent game

I'm going to watch the Suckeyes and Moo U

Should be a decent game

Don't mind me. :alien:

failverines.0.0_standard_709.0.gif

Agreed, but there is nothing lucky about alot of the Auburn '' luck '' plays either.

The play against Georgia not withstanding.

I think a lot of the Auburn plays that have happened between the last couple of years could be classified as luck.

Not taking anything away bc they have to line up & play ball, but they have been on the receiving end of some plays that are/could be classified as luck.

Well so far this is going exactly as I expected .

Here's hoping tOSU doesn't get smoked.

Pretty sad when your only wish is to not get embarrassed .

My thoughts exactly...I pray this is a good game but I'm not getting my hopes up...might be going to bed early if the game keeps at this pace

My thoughts exactly...I pray this is a good game but I'm not getting my hopes up...might be going to bed early if the game keeps at this pace

Last play was tOSU in a nutshell . Great front four an no one behind them. Dude misses an easy tackle and they give up seven.

Fickell sucks.

Ezekiel Elliot could develop into something special.

Wow I didn't see this happening

Darron lee is a man.

I'm guessing this is going well for OSU

The refs got that one right, LSU 7-0.

Wtf that was offisdes

I'm guessing this is going well for OSU

No they failed miserably on a punt return. They are losing . So I am talking to myself in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back