The 2020 “Season” - What Wedges?

Jaws MD5 C grind 54 and 58. Got them very end of last season and will be gaming them for the foreseeable future. Great feel, amazing spin. The best I’ve used in a while.

Can you provide a comparison of these two irons pros and cons? These are the two I’ve narrowed my search to...

Ping G700 - high, straight and long. Feel and sound take some getting used to. Wide soles and long heel to toe length which may or may not work for you. Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 "Stiff" w/ Pro Soft inserts. If you want to hit the ball high, far and straight and don't care about sound/feel, the G700's are hard to beat. You need to hit them on grass though as the wide soles and long heads can be a bit much. More in the SGI category to me. I can play shovels and these fit in that category but among the straightest irons I have ever played. Distances are crazy long in the long irons and come back to earth, somewhat, in the shorter irons. Takes a few rounds to get distances correct and there is the possibility of hitting a few flyers if your miss is toe side (which is my normal miss). Very fun iron to hit as it seems like they go too high but that's the magic in getting a low spin head to stop close to where it hits.

PXG 0211 - high, straight, about 1/2 club shorter than G700 loft to loft. Feel and sound are somewhat amazing. Soles on the long irons are wider, but no where near as wide as G700 and head length tapers from long iron to short iron. Nippon NS Pro 1050 GH w/ Pro Soft inserts. Smaller head size overall than the G700 but still more in the distance/GI category to me. Provides me with an iron that has a more consistent distance, does not seem to have flyers when I miss (distance is lost more so than G700 where a toe miss seemed to go further than expected) and feels magnitudes better with a much more muted sound. Not as forgiving as the G700 but with either iron a bad swing produces a bad shot and for the other reasons the 0211 is my preference.

Long time Ping player as I have played iE1, G25, G30, i200, i210, G400, G410 and most recently the G700. Favorite Ping's were iE1 and G25 followed closely by i210.

PXG 0211 look a lot like the iE1 but play more like the G25 as the 0211 are plenty forgiving and are more like a cross between the G25 and iE1 but heads are not quite as big or with as much offset in the longer irons as the G25. Offset of the 0211 is closer to the iE1 and head size is as well.

I reshafted the 0211 with the Nippon 1050GH with a build based on 37.75" 5 iron (like the G25 standard lengths) @ D2 swingweight. Compared to the Ping G700 5 iron, my 0211 5 iron is 0.5" short as the G700 is 38.25" which along with the overall head design leads to shorter lengths, but for me I just take more club if I need to hit it farther.

This is the best image I have seen to show how the PXG 0211 head length is from long iron to wedges.

G700's are excellent irons for the right golfer/swing/what your game needs and if they were not such a PIA to reshaft, I would have reshafted them but I have been enjoying the 0211 so much that I really don't have a desire to try other irons at this time.

PXG 0211 Head.png

What wedges are you going to put into Play this insanely altered and awkward COVID stricken season? New shiny? Old faithful?

What, and more importantly, whhhhyyyyyyyy?
RTX4 were a staple before the slow transition into MiM. I'm one of the absolute worst when it comes to 'plug and play' with wedges though.. incredibly picky with what I am looking for in both weight and greenside creativity.

Ping G700 - high, straight and long. Feel and sound take some getting used to. Wide soles and long heel to toe length which may or may not work for you. Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 "Stiff" w/ Pro Soft inserts. If you want to hit the ball high, far and straight and don't care about sound/feel, the G700's are hard to beat. You need to hit them on grass though as the wide soles and long heads can be a bit much. More in the SGI category to me. I can play shovels and these fit in that category but among the straightest irons I have ever played. Distances are crazy long in the long irons and come back to earth, somewhat, in the shorter irons. Takes a few rounds to get distances correct and there is the possibility of hitting a few flyers if your miss is toe side (which is my normal miss). Very fun iron to hit as it seems like they go too high but that's the magic in getting a low spin head to stop close to where it hits.

PXG 0211 - high, straight, about 1/2 club shorter than G700 loft to loft. Feel and sound are somewhat amazing. Soles on the long irons are wider, but no where near as wide as G700 and head length tapers from long iron to short iron. Nippon NS Pro 1050 GH w/ Pro Soft inserts. Smaller head size overall than the G700 but still more in the distance/GI category to me. Provides me with an iron that has a more consistent distance, does not seem to have flyers when I miss (distance is lost more so than G700 where a toe miss seemed to go further than expected) and feels magnitudes better with a much more muted sound. Not as forgiving as the G700 but with either iron a bad swing produces a bad shot and for the other reasons the 0211 is my preference.

Long time Ping player as I have played iE1, G25, G30, i200, i210, G400, G410 and most recently the G700. Favorite Ping's were iE1 and G25 followed closely by i210.

PXG 0211 look a lot like the iE1 but play more like the G25 as the 0211 are plenty forgiving and are more like a cross between the G25 and iE1 but heads are not quite as big or with as much offset in the longer irons as the G25. Offset of the 0211 is closer to the iE1 and head size is as well.

I reshafted the 0211 with the Nippon 1050GH with a build based on 37.75" 5 iron (like the G25 standard lengths) @ D2 swingweight. Compared to the Ping G700 5 iron, my 0211 5 iron is 0.5" short as the G700 is 38.25" which along with the overall head design leads to shorter lengths, but for me I just take more club if I need to hit it farther.

This is the best image I have seen to show how the PXG 0211 head length is from long iron to wedges.

G700's are excellent irons for the right golfer/swing/what your game needs and if they were not such a PIA to reshaft, I would have reshafted them but I have been enjoying the 0211 so much that I really don't have a desire to try other irons at this time.

View attachment 8938565
Great post and thorough description - many thanks. I’m leaning towards the G700 due to forgiveness and actually prefer a longer heel to to size. Just turned 60 and I want these to last me more than a few years. Thinking of getting them shafted with the UST Recoil 780 SmacWrap.... again thanks!

Taylor Made Milled Grind 2 are going up against my SM7’s that I got later in the season last year.

It will be really difficult to get me off the v-sole Clevelands as I LOVE them so much that I play them not only in my wedges but in all my irons. I buy a couple of Cleveland wedges every year. This one I just got and I need to have it bent a little flatter before putting it in the bag.

Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 4.42.58 PM.png

I put a set of 50-54-58 Ben Hogan Equalizers in the bag for this year. They match my PTx Pros was the main reason, and that I like trying different wedges is another. I am not sure they are my absolute favorites yet, but I am committed to finding out more. I have started making pretty consistent lately so I am liking them more.

What wedges are you going to put into Play this insanely altered and awkward COVID stricken season? New shiny? Old faithful?

What, and more importantly, whhhhyyyyyyyy?
I set my wedges up last year after years of neglect. Cbx OG in 48/52/56. Absolutely love em

Great post and thorough description - many thanks. I’m leaning towards the G700 due to forgiveness and actually prefer a longer heel to to size. Just turned 60 and I want these to last me more than a few years. Thinking of getting them shafted with the UST Recoil 780 SmacWrap.... again thanks!

I believe you will be very happy with them.

CBX2 in 52, 56 & 60. If I’m feeling frisky then I’ve got my PM Grinds 2.0 in 54, 58 & 64. Just love the CBX2’s though.

2020 has seen my RTX4 58 MID get the boot for a Vokey SM7 60D. The CBX2 is firmly in the 54 slot. And I feel the bottom of my bag is situated well for the time being.

The Vokey SM6's are in play and will be in play for the foreseeable future. If they move on, I'll be going with the RTX4's.

Sticking with my RTX-3 54 and 58 degree wedges. Both low bounce.

After switching last season, the low bounce worked wonders for my short game. Hard conditions, spurred the switch, and paid off.
For a lot of years I thought about making the switch, and now that I have, I may not ever switch back.

MD4 52s, 56w and 60x. If they aren't playing up to snuff, I can always go back to my trusty CBX 52, 56 and 60 from my backup bag.

MP18MMC set PW
T7 52*
'19 PM 56* (just bought a week ago, two practice sessions, I am loving this wedge so far, can't wait to play)

I bought new RTX-4 heads (50, 54 & 58) over the winter and replaced them into my old RTX-3 recoil wedge proto shafts. Went all black this time around, look pretty sweet. Just get along really well with Cleveland wedges so decided to stick with them and ended costing me like a 1/3 of full replacement.

Going with Honma TW4. For one they are still new and haven't given them a proper lengthy trial. Enough to get a feel for them but not enough for a Final verdict.

Going with Honma TW4. For one they are still new and haven't given them a proper lengthy trial. Enough to get a feel for them but not enough for a Final verdict.

2nd on the Honma TW4, they look good and have the bounce I normally play

Back