The 2021 MLB Thread

Gotta share this whenever I see it come up.

The Braves in the offseason market so far. :rolleyes:

St Louis with the first big splash of the off season for the NL Central.
3B- Nolan Arrenado
:D:D

St Louis with the first big splash of the off season for the NL Central.
3B- Nolan Arrenado
:D:D

I’m super excited especially reading early reports we didn’t have to give up Gorman or Liberatore.

This has been rumored for about 3 years and it FINALLY happened.

This doesn’t make the Cardinals World Series contenders, but a middle of the order featuring Arenado, Carlson, and Goldschmidt looks pretty darn good.

Absolute steal of the best 3B in MLB. Cards give up only a couple of longshot prospects and an average Major League LHP. On top of that they hold the Rockies up for $50M cash!!

The Rockies owner Monfort and the GM Bridich are both the worst in MLB. Absolutely clueless. When the Covid crap is over I expect fans to not return to Coors to see this misguided team.

Oh, also Story is the next to go.

Phils brought back Didi 2 yr $28M. I like it, low risk.

Absolute steal of the best 3B in MLB. Cards give up only a couple of longshot prospects and an average Major League LHP. On top of that they hold the Rockies up for $50M cash!!

The Rockies owner Monfort and the GM Bridich are both the worst in MLB. Absolutely clueless. When the Covid crap is over I expect fans to not return to Coors to see this misguided team.

The players aren’t confirmed but if Gomber is in fact going, he is very talented

The players aren’t confirmed but if Gomber is in fact going, he is very talented
As with any other pitcher, not at Coors Field.

How did they not get one of the Cards 3B prospects in return???

At least he didn't go to the effing Dodgers.

I’ll be honest, I don’t think Nolan Gorman would have ever been an option. The biggest thing for me is the uncertainty around the opt out. If he plays really well over the next 2 years, it’s feasible he could opt out.

Either way, as long as it doesn’t come out that Gorman or Matt Lieberatore were included, I think this was a great deal for the Cardinals.

It doesn’t make them a World Series team, but puts them at the top of the NL Central in my opinion.

This is a tough time to be a Rockies fan. That trade is brutal

That was going to be my comment as well. I like Gomber, really like him but his big loopy curve is going to struggle in Colorado. Just like life he'll either learn to work around it or he will get lit up. I think it was purely a salary dump of an unsatisfied player. Retaining their 3 top 10 3rd baseman was brilliant. St Louis develops great pitchers, they struggle with position players though. The last time they had a top 10 high ceiling, can't miss, pure hitter, 3rd base prospect (Zack Cox) he got traded and never made the majors. :unsure:

That was going to be my comment as well. I like Gomber, really like him but his big loopy curve is going to struggle in Colorado. Just like life he'll either learn to work around it or he will get lit up. I think it was purely a salary dump of an unsatisfied player. Retaining their 3 top 10 3rd baseman was brilliant. St Louis develops great pitchers, they struggle with position players though. The last time they had a top 10 high ceiling, can't miss, pure hitter, 3rd base prospect (Zack Cox) he got traded and never made the majors. :unsure:

I would agree to an extent with these statements, but the Cardinals developed the best pure hitter of the early 2000s in Albert Pujols, who did play 3rd base for some time.

They also have a very very strong OF prospect who played very well last year in Dylan Carlson.

Either way, I don’t see this as anything other than a fleecing by the Cardinals

I would agree to an extent with these statements, but the Cardinals developed the best pure hitter of the early 2000s in Albert Pujols, who did play 3rd base for some time.

They also have a very very strong OF prospect who played very well last year in Dylan Carlson.

Either way, I don’t see this as anything other than a fleecing by the Cardinals
Oscar Tavares(rip) also, but they have had several "can't miss" that just missed. Colby Rasmus, they bet on Bader and O'Neil and traded arozarana and Pham. There's definitely some disconnect in the scouting lines.

Oscar Tavares(rip) also, but they have had several "can't miss" that just missed. Colby Rasmus, they bet on Bader and O'Neil and traded arozarana and Pham. There's definitely some disconnect in the scouting lines.

Arozarena could be a flash in the pan, let’s see him in some extended playing time before we crown him a stud.

Remember David Freese and Allen Craig?

Arozarena could be a flash in the pan, let’s see him in some extended playing time before we crown him a stud.

Remember David Freese and Allen Craig?
That's true :unsure:

MLBPA says no to universal DH and expanded playoffs.

What. The. #@$?

That is more jobs and more money. What are the players thinking?
I’m a AL guy through and through.... seeing NL baseball and pitchers hitting 9th and the double switch in the 4-5th inning just makes me hate NL even more...
From my perspective NL and MLBPA doesn’t want universal DH, then don’t use DH when in AL cities... You don’t want DH all the time don’t use it at all.... make it a rule... AL plays with DH; NL doesn’t regardless of city and see how quickly MLB adopts DH league wide

I’m a AL guy through and through.... seeing NL baseball and pitchers hitting 9th and the double switch in the 4-5th inning just makes me hate NL even more...
From my perspective NL and MLBPA doesn’t want universal DH, then don’t use DH when in AL cities... You don’t want DH all the time don’t use it at all.... make it a rule... AL plays with DH; NL doesn’t regardless of city and see how quickly MLB adopts DH league wide
I read an article that said the players union is saying no in part because they don’t want to give up a bargaining chip for the 2022(?) labor negotiations. It’s a shame the labor / management relationship is so contentious

I read an article that said the players union is saying no in part because they don’t want to give up a bargaining chip for the 2022(?) labor negotiations. It’s a shame the labor / management relationship is so contentious
Especially with pending pending collective bargaining on the horizon

I'm a NL guy and it sucks watching AL teams not having to use any strategy at all. A trained monkey could manage an AL team. Fill out the lineup card and sit on your hands the rest of the game. DH is so old/non fielding players can go up and swing as hard as possible 4 time a game and get a check.

Owners need to grow a pair and blow up the current league to retake control of their teams for the good of the game. Real salary cap and non guaranteed contracts. Say what you want about the NFL but they don't allow one non-performing player to become the franchise boat anchor.

So MLB has pitched a 154 game season(with full 162 payouts) and delaying ST until late March.

So MLB has pitched a 154 game season(with full 162 payouts) and delaying ST until late March.
Not terrible as long as they start letting fans back in. Last year is the first time in 20 ish years I haven't been to a game. I definitely missed it.

I'm a NL guy and it sucks watching AL teams not having to use any strategy at all. A trained monkey could manage an AL team. Fill out the lineup card and sit on your hands the rest of the game. DH is so old/non fielding players can go up and swing as hard as possible 4 time a game and get a check.

Owners need to grow a pair and blow up the current league to retake control of their teams for the good of the game. Real salary cap and non guaranteed contracts. Say what you want about the NFL but they don't allow one non-performing player to become the franchise boat anchor.
And here I thought you were brighter than that... 😜
Little league is great for double switch... I prefer professional pitchers to pitch and professional hitters to hit.... taking a starting pitcher out in the 4th inning because you have runners on the corners and 2 outs with the pitcher coming to bat is an absolute joke.... then I have to watch platoon players rotate positions and lineup because, well, they’re platoon players for a reason.... moving your starting 3B to left field by the 7th is an even bigger joke... all because you want a pitcher to have a spot in the batting lineup.... no thanks!
And since you love the strategy of the game so much, why do NL teams always use DH in AL parks? Rhetorical.... we both know why.... better baseball 😉

I really hope I can get to a minor league ballgame this year. Social distancing was in at AA games far before it was cool worldwide.

And here I thought you were brighter than that... 😜
Little league is great for double switch... I prefer professional pitchers to pitch and professional hitters to hit.... taking a starting pitcher out in the 4th inning because you have runners on the corners and 2 outs with the pitcher coming to bat is an absolute joke.... then I have to watch platoon players rotate positions and lineup because, well, they’re platoon players for a reason.... moving your starting 3B to left field by the 7th is an even bigger joke... all because you want a pitcher to have a spot in the batting lineup.... no thanks!
And since you love the strategy of the game so much, why do NL teams always use DH in AL parks? Rhetorical.... we both know why.... better baseball 😉
Nope not better just logical to play a dh because it's allowed. Silly logic

Back