I'm going with no. I think it fits into it own slot as "The Players".

I don't think so, at the end of golfers careers when they are up for the hall of fame this tournament doesn't hold any more weight than the other regular tour events, at least I don't think it does. Great tournament, with a great field though.

While I’m not sure on calling it a major, I’ve heard announcers say something along the line of “his career includes 18 wins of which 3 are majors and a Players Championship”. So while it doesn’t carry the same weight as a major, it carries more weight than just about all of the rest.

No it isn't. It's a big tourney with a great field, but there are a lot of others out there that have the same. Still a prestigious win though.

Not for me. I'm actually leaning the other way, where I feel like there are 3 real majors (Masters, US Open, British Open). After that, a handful of really strong second tier events like the PGA Championship, Players, and WGC events.

Quite simply No. It just doesn't have the history of the other 4 Majors. The others began so long ago when golf was in its infancy.

British - 1860
US Open - 1895
PGA - 1916
Masters - 1934

Players? Didn't start until 1974

nah, course really doesn't blow up my skirt. I don't really recall any players calling it a 5th major, more so the media/tour jamming it down our throats. How many times this week on GC will we see "The 5th major" plastered across the screen? The PGA tour wants it to be a major so bad it's pathetic. It's lacking the things to me that make a major like mystic, history, venue, dramatic/memorable moments ( I can only think of 2) pedigree of winners, etc. You can't just flick a switch and make something a major, it needs to be done from within.

The Masters wasn't an original Major, they "flipped a switch" and it was. There was no Masters tournament before 1934

I like calling it Golf's "Unofficial" 5th Major

But to make it official? No way. I don't watch a lot of LPGA Golf but their decision to make whatever tournament a Major to have 5 in the calendar year was/is a joke.

Not a major but it would be interesting to see this course set up for the PGA championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. 4 majors. There are a few tournaments a year that are basically just below majors, including the players, but no it’s not a major.

I’m sure my mind has changed or could change on this, because I’m not really passionate either way. But that’s my current stance.

Agree with cbaker. Not a major. There are a handful of tourneys that def have more prestige than others but none of them hold water to an actual major. The Players, AP and The Memorial Tournament are in that next tier. Maybe a few more that I’m not thinking of but those jump right out to me

Same for me. I don't think there's any such thing as a 5th major.

For me this ins't a 5th major. It's a great test of golf, with a solid field, but the mystique/nostalgia isn't there for me. I can see why people think it could be and the players themselves think it is, but it falls short for me.

I’m with you specifically on the major championships as a measuring stick - that means Tiger is what one or two shy of jack?

Also Rickie won this, we cant consider it a major lol :angel: :alien:

Jack won it 3 times!

I would say it is. As per the field is really strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. The history just isn't there and it dilutes the record books. It's a great tournament at a great venue and it is a prestigious warm-up for the first major of the year, but it stops there IMO.

It ultimately depends on how you view the current 4 Majors.
Are they Majors because the best of the best show up on a great/amazing/historic golf course? Or are they Majors because it was arbitrarily decided that they were 100 years ago and that's just the way it is dammit.

I agree with AG on this.

What EXACTLY is the criteria to hang the "Major" title on a tournament?

The Masters wasn't an original Major, they "flipped a switch" and it was. There was no Masters tournament before 1934
Pretty sure that Bobby Jones fella had something to do with that. I'd venture to say times have changed a bit since 1934.

Agree with cbaker. Not a major. There are a handful of tourneys that def have more prestige than others but none of them hold water to an actual major. The Players, AP and The Memorial Tournament are in that next tier. Maybe a few more that I’m not thinking of but those jump right out to me

Yup, well said, I agree with this. This tourney is not a major.

DJ just said he'd be okay with the Players being an official major (which may have been a PR answer). He also said Tour players already look at it like a major anyway.

Nope. There have been 4 forever and that is the way it should stay. I am a traditionalist. Adding a 5th would reap havoc with the record books as well.

⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

What he said !

The field is deeper than any of the 4 Majors, Fact. You can't try to argue with that.

1) It's hard for me to wrap my head around calling any tournament a major that Ben Hogan and Arnold Palmer (for instance) never got a chance to play. Think about how artificial the Evian is as a 5th major for the LPGA, and I don't think they called past champions of that major winners.

2)The Players is definitely the 5th biggest tournament in men's golf, or at least pro golf, but as golf at the highest level is a global game now, seems not right to put yet another major in the USA. Again, I think that was the thinking behind the Evian.

But it's not like all four tournaments were always "majors" (the US Open and British Open were). The Masters was added eventually. There were tournaments that were considered majors that aren't anymore (e.g., the US Amateur). I think the current configuration is only 50 or so years old. I'm not for making The Players a major, but the idea of the current crop being unassailable tradition is incorrect.

It already is a major. Not a 5th major - just a major. Don’t know why it isn’t called as such.

Ask the players if they would rather win the PGA Championship or the Players. You may be surprised.

No no no. It would be nice if a line wouldnt be crossed these days but sadly it seems anything goes. Why not 6 or 7? With all these years of the tour hyping the hell out of their owned tourney and venue they will push real hard if they can squeeze another buck out of it. I wonder who originally started the 5th major whispers?

No no no. It would be nice if a line wouldnt be crossed these days but sadly it seems anything goes. Why not 6 or 7? With all these years of the tour hyping the hell out of their owned tourney and venue they will push real hard if they can squeeze another buck out of it. I wonder who originally started the 5th major whispers?

why is 4 the right number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back