What other tournaments would even remotely be close to this conversation to fulfill that whole thing?
A few of the WGC have stronger fields (even though they are their own thing)

The memorial is close based on field strength as well.

A few of the WGC have stronger fields (even though they are their own thing)

The memorial is close based on field strength as well.

Is it though? Has it ever been mentioned in the same breath as The Players? I don’t remember it if it has.

I think things like the whole it would open Pandora’s box thing is just curmudgeonly get off my lawn talk.

What other tournaments would even remotely be close to this conversation to fulfill that whole thing?

Maybe the WGC Events and the Memorial? Only ones I could think of that feature a pretty full field of top 50 players. I prefer only 4 majors. I am still trying to wrap my head around the new year round schedule and changed tourney dates.

Is it though? Has it ever been mentioned in the same breath as The Players? I don’t remember it if it has.

I think things like the whole it would open Pandora’s box thing is just curmudgeonly get off my lawn talk.
Can't find 2018 but here is 2017 showing the field closeness.

177d3b864df90efdb9428c84981471f8.jpg

Can't find 2018 but here is 2017 showing the field closeness.

177d3b864df90efdb9428c84981471f8.jpg

Still didn’t answer my question. When has it ever been talked about in the same breath or manner as The Players?

Maybe the WGC Events and the Memorial? Only ones I could think of that feature a pretty full field of top 50 players. I prefer only 4 majors. I am still trying to wrap my head around the new year round schedule and changed tourney dates.

I think that’s the list most would come up with, and I just don’t see how those would open up for people clamoring for a 6th 7th or whatever major.

But, people hate change, so I know it’ll never happen. Man, I wish it would though to watch the upset on social media. Haha

Still didn’t answer my question. When has it ever been talked about in the same breath or manner as The Players?
Oh talk alone not even close Players has gotten the most chatter. I was merely trying to say it's not the blow out of proportion greatest field ever blah blah that so many (especially Twitter) claims and that as far as the field piece there are some comparables to reference.

I wish they would just let it have it's own identity as it's own tourney and not a faux major.

When thinking of whether to make The Players' the 5th major, the phrase "Change for the sake of change" comes to mind. There's absolutely no good reason to do it, yet certain people wanna see it done.

I absolutely can't stand the term "5th major." It's even more annoying that the PGA Tour tries to jam it down our throats every single year with this tournament. There are only 4 majors and that is not changing anytime soon. The Players is an important tournament but it's not as important as those 4 events. Add in the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the golf course that they play it on every year and I'm not a big fan of this event at all.

I don't know if I like the term, but it's an event a lot of players put stock into. The fact it was moved into March with the rest of the Florida swing is very welcoming and now moves a lot of momentum heading into Augusta.

No. No. No.

Always thought if were going to award another tournament status as a major it’s time to recognize the brilliance of the sandbelt and give Aussie golf the respect it deserves. If NZ is included in the rotation it’s quality would be superior to sawgrass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely can't stand the term "5th major." It's even more annoying that the PGA Tour tries to jam it down our throats every single year with this tournament. There are only 4 majors and that is not changing anytime soon. The Players is an important tournament but it's not as important as those 4 events. Add in the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the golf course that they play it on every year and I'm not a big fan of this event at all.

I agree with all of this. I don’t think the course is all that it is cracked up to be and generally have more interest in other non majors than the Players.

If you have to ask if it’s a major then it’s not a major

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it is. I think some here take "5th major" more literally than I do. Obviously, it's not a major, but the top tier field and the prestige make it important. I'm not for adding as an "official" major though.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

If it was considered the 5th major well now it can be considered the 1st major.

Great tournament? Yes. A major? No. I think it should be enjoyed for what it is instead of the perennial discussion of it being a 5th major.

There’s all this talk every year about it being the fifth major or should be. Does it have the best strength of field? No. Is it the toughness of the course? I’d say no since only one golfer last year made the cut and shot over par. Is there something unique or special about the venue? Not that I see.
Then I have to assume the press for the 5th Major would seem to be about something else. What? I don’t know. 5he name of the tournament always confused me. I always thought the PGA Championship was the players championship since they’re all PGA members. The Masters is the only major held at the same location. Are those pressing trying to create another piece of that lore?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plain and simple ......... NO!

No. It's the TPC, an exalted tournament and a tremendous achievement to win it.

But neither field nor desire makes it a major. Nothing can replicate the pressure and stature of a major upon that first tee. Therefore the rest of residual play cannot mirror one.

Because it was never a major. As important as it was, it was never a major and it likely would not be wanted as one.

Never has been , never will be , despite the hard sell by the marketing department as the US PGA . It is a big tournament to win, but like the 3 WGC events, it is not a major.

The four Majors were chosen by Arnie and Mark McCormack. Originally, in Bobby Jones's day, they were the Open, US Open, Amateur and US Amateur. The Amateurs were replaced by the Masters and the US PGA ………….no need to change.

I love this tournament. I think the course is a fantastic challenge (I imagine it's extremely difficult for a hack). I guess it's the 5th Major, but what a weird title. It's an acknowledgement it is not one of the main 4, but it's close. Which I guess is how I feel about it, although wins here should never count as major wins.

I think it will become the 5th major. The field is stacked, the course is as tough as they come and can be made even tougher. The hype is there so yes I think it’s the unofficial 5th major and will become a true major in the future.

nah, course really doesn't blow up my skirt. I don't really recall any players calling it a 5th major, more so the media/tour jamming it down our throats. How many times this week on GC will we see "The 5th major" plastered across the screen? The PGA tour wants it to be a major so bad it's pathetic. It's lacking the things to me that make a major like mystic, history, venue, dramatic/memorable moments ( I can only think of 2) pedigree of winners, etc. You can't just flick a switch and make something a major, it needs to be done from within.

nah, course really doesn't blow up my skirt. I don't really recall any players calling it a 5th major, more so the media/tour jamming it down our throats. How many times this week on GC will we see "The 5th major" plastered across the screen? The PGA tour wants it to be a major so bad it's pathetic. It's lacking the things to me that make a major like mystic, history, venue, dramatic/memorable moments ( I can only think of 2) pedigree of winners, etc. You can't just flick a switch and make something a major, it needs to be done from within.

Spieth has. I remember that.

Back