The 60 and over Thread

Played 9 holes on Wednesday, hit some good shots and bad shots. Couldn't seem to get what I wanted to do to transfer from brain to hands. I need to go to the range and practice, but don't know if my back will let me. I had to take grip off my new shaft and cut 2 1/2 inches off the shaft. Then put grip back on, hope that fixes my driver problems.

Played 9 holes on Wednesday, hit some good shots and bad shots. Couldn't seem to get what I wanted to do to transfer from brain to hands. I need to go to the range and practice, but don't know if my back will let me. I had to take grip off my new shaft and cut 2 1/2 inches off the shaft. Then put grip back on, hope that fixes my driver problems.
2 1/2 inches seems like an awful lot?
I know, I know, I put that one on a tee for you… go easy on me! 😉

9-hole league tonight. I had my best round in a long time shooting a 9-over 45 on the front 9 of North Kingstown Golf Course. Two pars, two doubles and the rest bogies. My practice focus the other day on short irons and fairway woods really paid off. I focused on going 1 club more on the short irons and taking a left arm parallel swing....and it worked. My short iron approaches were much more accurate than in the past.

Unfortunately, I lost my match because my opponent played lights out. It was a great night of golf, however.

I've played several back to back rounds of golf this year and I've noticed that the second round of golf is always my worst round. To confirm this I looked at all of the scores where I played consecutive days and the second round is never better than the first round. The second round is the same or 8 strokes higher than the first... most of the rounds were 3 to 5 shots higher. Since noticing this I've stopped playing back to back games and my scores are more consistent. BTW... I take a cart almost every round because of a medical condition... developed a hernia which should be taken care of in the off season.

Anyone else notice that when playing back to back games the second round is pretty much always scoring higher ???

Yes I thought I read the shaft came 47 inches long, so cut off butt trimed 1 1/2 inches and didn't measure. That won't happen again. trying to make driver the same lenght as before.

I've played several back to back rounds of golf this year and I've noticed that the second round of golf is always my worst round. To confirm this I looked at all of the scores where I played consecutive days and the second round is never better than the first round. The second round is the same or 8 strokes higher than the first... most of the rounds were 3 to 5 shots higher. Since noticing this I've stopped playing back to back games and my scores are more consistent. BTW... I take a cart almost every round because of a medical condition... developed a hernia which should be taken care of in the off season.

Anyone else notice that when playing back to back games the second round is pretty much always scoring higher ???

I find the energy is less consistent. Perhaps between rounds - more rest, more water, some massage therapy with a Theragun mini, - and the right snacks on the course will help. I've been searching for the right formula for consistent energy on the course. Still experimenting.

Eat well beforehand - protein and carbs
On course - fruits and nuts, water on holes 1-6, jerky, peanut butter, wheat bread, or chicken sandwich, water on holes 7-12, and some sugar, dried fruit, Powerade, and caffeine to get you through 13-18.

I can't play back to back rounds, need a day off in between to rest. Lots of water is important for me, haven't tried Theragun mini. But am thinking it would be a good idea I use peanut butter cookies as snack.

My iron play has been pretty strong recently, Fairway woods decent (hybrid not so much), wedge game good, but really struggling with the driver. I feel like I only hit one drive yesterday that I feel I'm capable of. It dawned on me overnight, thinking back to that drive, what my problem might be. In an attempt to make sure I hit "up" on the driver I think I am hanging back. Several swings in the garage seem to confirm that self-diagnosis. Now I can't wait to get back out there on Monday.

So I think I'm done with driving ranges. Yesterday I noticed no balls past the 200 yd stake which means they've gone to limited flight balls. I thought something felt funny. The balls felt like hitting concrete. Two of the ranges I'd go to have gone to them. Combine this with hitting off mats left me with a pair of hurting hands. I could hardly hold the steering wheel. Note: I have graphite shafts, CP2 grips, and sting stoppers. Chambers Bay is grass with real balls but is $25 to use the range. I can play 18 holes for $28 at my local course with the senior rate. I'd rather play 18. I may not improve, but it's a lot more fun for the money.

I've been a THPer for awhile now, but just noticed this thread. Thanks for starting it @SC LEFTY. I'll be 61 in late November. Though I was introduced to the game when I was 8 by my uncle (God bless him), it was always play for a few years then stop for a few due to life events. Then, in 2007, my dear mother passed and my wife suggested that I take the game back up.

All summer, I've been a club shorter than "normal." A 145 yard 7 iron has been normal for me in the past. Then a combination of work and a thankfully mild case of pneumonia kept me off the course for 2 weeks. I was finally able to play a round on Thursday and I was hitting my normal distances. Go figure. The funny thing is that on #8, I was addressing the ball in order to hit a full pw. As I was about to swing, it felt like someone reached inside my back and twisted the tendons very hard. The rest of the day, I was very tentative, but still hit my old normal distances. Thus is a weird and fascinating game we play.

My iron play has been pretty strong recently, Fairway woods decent (hybrid not so much), wedge game good, but really struggling with the driver. I feel like I only hit one drive yesterday that I feel I'm capable of. It dawned on me overnight, thinking back to that drive, what my problem might be. In an attempt to make sure I hit "up" on the driver I think I am hanging back. Several swings in the garage seem to confirm that self-diagnosis. Now I can't wait to get back out there on Monday.

You'll love this one. I tend to slouch at address. Last year I took a lesson about my driver because I wasn't hitting it well and the coach showed me a picture of Adam Scott. They always shot Adam Scott. When I stand like Scott and try to hit up on the driver I hang back and hit a snap hook. I hit my best shots when I slouch because I'm totally relaxed.

I've also noticed that hitting off mats has made me a sweeper with my irons - no divots. Yesterday I hit them correctly, that's probably why the pain.

Worst round of my life today. I started 9-7-8-7 and it didn’t get a whole lot better from there. Just terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found something that works for me while playing with a heat index around 100* I start with a cup of ice water and sip it through the front nine refilling it around #5. Then I buy two 12 oz. Gatorades at the turn and drink those with ice on the back nine. That seems to work. Although I still usually lose 4 or 5 lbs due to perspiring during the round, I don't get dizzy when I bend over to tee the ball.

I find the energy is less consistent. Perhaps between rounds - more rest, more water, some massage therapy with a Theragun mini, - and the right snacks on the course will help. I've been searching for the right formula for consistent energy on the course. Still experimenting.

Eat well beforehand - protein and carbs
On course - fruits and nuts, water on holes 1-6, jerky, peanut butter, wheat bread, or chicken sandwich, water on holes 7-12, and some sugar, dried fruit, Powerade, and caffeine to get you through 13-18.
As Desmond knows, I hydrate really well before and during golf. I try to have a breakfast before playing - for me mostly eggs or the like. While on course, tons more water, banana (or 2) nuts (cashews/almonds) and a protein bar. I try to some combination of these 3 or 4 items during play, mixing it up so I eat something about every 4 or so holes. Heck, even Vosh had a banana and maybe some nuts out there - so I know my choices were/are good!:ROFLMAO: I minimize the carbs - but that is part of my regular diet - not eliminate, minimize. Anyway, I think fruit and healthy fats and TONS of water is key. I also bring Mio flavor enhancers - the one that contains electrolytes and vitamins and drink that with my water as well.

Have any of you tried the Aussie Chiller hats?
Thursday was the second time this summer I couldn’t finish my round because I felt the heat beginning to get to me. One of the guys in my group told me about them. 50+ spf and they recommend soaking them in water on really hot days. A couple of people have told me they put ice underneath the top of them.
It’s a really good product. I got the bucket style ( never worn one before) because it’s ventilated. You can bend or fold them without losing their shape. Fully washable also.
They start at $39.99 so they’re not cheap, however they’ve been flying off the shelves down here in SC with the sweltering summer we’ve been going through.

Thursday was the second time this summer I couldn’t finish my round because I felt the heat beginning to get to me. One of the guys in my group told me about them. 50+ spf and they recommend soaking them in water on really hot days. A couple of people have told me they put ice underneath the top of them.
It’s a really good product. I got the bucket style ( never worn one before) because it’s ventilated. You can bend or fold them without losing their shape. Fully washable also.
They start at $39.99 so they’re not cheap, however they’ve been flying off the shelves down here in SC with the sweltering summer we’ve been going through.

Tried it over 10 yrs ago - if you like the look, or even if you don't. I think the one I wore got tight. My head must have swelled. Anything that works for you. Wide brims - no one likes them for their look, nothing in a wide brim is a fashion statement.

I can officially contribute to this thread now, turned 60 yesterday. Unfortunately no golf for me today with hurricane Henri coming.

I can officially contribute to this thread now, turned 60 yesterday. Unfortunately no golf for me today with hurricane Henri coming.
Stay safe!

I've had 2 of them. The first I wore it out. The 2nd was given to me by a friend who unexpectedly passed away soon thereafter. I wear it once or twice a year in remembrance and to honor him.

They're okay hats. As @Desmond mentioned, I found they can get a bit tight over time. When you wet them down, they can also get noticeably heavy. They do keep your head cool when they are wet, but in my experience there are other wide brimmed hats that will keep you cooler when they're dry. Just my 2 cents.

Tried it over 10 yrs ago - if you like the look, or even if you don't. I think the one I wore got tight. My head must have swelled. Anything that works for you. Wide brims - no one likes them for their look, nothing in a wide brim is a fashion statement.
I agree, lol.
I hate wearing hats anyway, but in the last two years I had a couple of benign melanoma procedures done, and now I force myself to wear one on the course.
I won’t be too upset if mine shrinks a bit, as the L was slightly loose on me. You’re right about the wide brimmed hats, they’re not a fashion statement, that’s for sure. 🙄 To be honest I’d never have bought the bucket hat unless a lot of the other members at my club had them. I’ve got a little peacock in me, I like to dress well, and I’m not afraid to wear colors a lot of guys won’t, so this purchase was really out of the norm for me.

I agree, lol.
I hate wearing hats anyway, but in the last two years I had a couple of benign melanoma procedures done, and now I force myself to wear one on the course.
I won’t be too upset if mine shrinks a bit, as the L was slightly loose on me. You’re right about the wide brimmed hats, they’re not a fashion statement, that’s for sure. 🙄 To be honest I’d never have bought the bucket hat unless a lot of the other members at my club had them. I’ve got a little peacock in me, I like to dress well, and I’m not afraid to wear colors a lot of guys won’t, so this purchase was really out of the norm for me.
We should all wear wide rimmed hats when on the course. My sister in law (late 40's) just had face cancers laser removed. If you had seen her face afterwards, you'd always wear sunscreen and a wide brim.

I agree, lol.
I've had two Mo's Surgeries ... and need the brim. I wear the Titleist Bucket Hat but wear the ball cap until I pull out the clubs. I saw a decent bucket hat today but don't know the brand. Also, a caddie at the AIG wore a decent looking bucket hat -- need to find that brand.

I've had two Mo's Surgeries ... and need the brim. I wear the Titleist Bucket Hat but wear the ball cap until I pull out the clubs. I saw a decent bucket hat today but don't know the brand. Also, a caddie at the AIG wore a decent looking bucket hat -- need to find that brand.
as you can see I'm a Transplant Recipient(DBL Lung '12) anyway 4 Mohs Surgeries for Skin cancers on my Cheeks and top of my head. Even wearing hats I still got it. Now wearing bucket and plantation style. So far I'm good.

I've had three Mohs surgeries and this year started wearing a wide brimmed "boonie" hat that I found in Kohls (Adidas brand). My wife thinks that it is pretty funny looking, but likes the idea that I'm getting more sun protection. I'll definitely be on the lookout for some additions for next year.

Back