The best shot of the round

Got my first eagle on a par 4 tonight at league. 7i from 138y slightly uphill, ball mark was 3 feet from the pin and just rolled in.
I have one shot left to hit and that is an albatross, unlikely to every get that one.

These were birdie chip-ins #2 and #3 on the day. First time out with that wedge and it was on fire.

Yesterday it had to be when I drained a 17ft putt for birdie which was downhill sliding left to right. I read it correctly and had the right speed for a change.

Had a bunch today, but this one has to be best. My scoring average on this hole SUCKS. It's been annoying.

Was on my work phone (accident with the other), so it's a little dark. 171y into the wind, lazy little 7i not wanting to try to muscle an 8 and spin it up or pull it,

that nearly went in.

20210602_145941.jpg20210602_150317.jpg

Tap in birdie, and a great way to finish a REAL good round on a hole that's been eating my lunch.

Last edited:
Played in the Thursday night ABCD scramble last night. Had 2 great shots. First was a smoked 3 wood of 235 yards with 220 of that a water carry to reach a par 5 in 2. The second was we were on the last hole and we had one guys drive left to use. He pulled it left and we were 155 uphill and behind a tree. I was able to barely clear the tree with an 8 iron and be around 15’ from the hole on the green. They guys joked said and that is why you are our A player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday, 148yd par 3. Easy 8 iron into the wind. 3 feet.

One of those days where the driver wasn't behaving. Scratch that. I wasn't behaving with the driver. So, lots of opportunities for recovery shots and short game to save the day or it was going to get really ugly. Only 26 putts, so putt and chipped well, but didn't hole any chips and the longest made putt was 25 feet. So, I think I'm going to go with a recovery shot.

The second shot on the par 5 17th was pulled and ended up on the wrong side of the cart path on the right. Only 100 yards out, but...ball on hardpan, tree between the ball and the green and a large tree stump just 10 feet in front of me on the other side of the path. No way to go straight at the green. Chose to go left of green and low with a hybrid 100 yard bump and run. Took the ball over the tree trunk and under the branches of the tree, landed it in the rough left and just short of the green, let the slope turn the ball right so it caught the green giving me a GIR and birdie putt 40 feet from the cup. It was really the only way to have a chance to get it anywhere on the green and I executed just like I envisioned it.

Hit the flagstick from 68 yards, landed about 4 feet from the hole for a nice birdie.

Both of these happened this morning, I have already mentioned both in my Morgan cup club posts.

1. 2nd shot on a par 5, 7 wood from 220, hit the run up fringe and bounced up to 25 foot. Sunk the putt for my first eagle from the blue tees at this course.
6E0193F2-99BF-48A1-9292-4D7CD61BA55A.jpeg

2. Par 3 155 yards, first hole with my new RadSpeed OL 9 iron. Super high ball that almost dunked into the cup, hit the flagstick, and bounced 10 ft. backwards.

E2749695-9951-40D5-8477-0E4BFE043CB7.jpeg

Playing in 20 mph of wind, par 3 176 dead into the teeth of the wind, playing about 195. Flushed a 5i dead straight that just held its line incredibly. Left about a 12 footer breaking L-R. Drained it for an unlikely birdie.

Long punchy PW from the rough at the 18th to about 15 feet from the hole, on the collar of the green. Gave me a chance to come home with a par in front of the club restaurant. Ended up with a bogey, which is just fine for me (and still got a few cheers, hah :))

Shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. Was under a tree from the tee and wanted to punch out from there, but ended up picking up the 56° wedge instead of my 8i from the bag. Was pretty confused when i heard the ball striking through the foliage after supposedly having clubbed up. Whoops.

This hole is uphill and always into the wind. Hit a high soft cut with my 19° hybrid to 15 feet and won closest to the pin in our 12 man group yesterday.

FE22FAC8-4C98-46AD-9C63-C6CA89BAA539.jpeg

This hole is uphill and always into the wind. Hit a high soft cut with my 19° hybrid to 15 feet and won closest to the pin in our 12 man group yesterday.

View attachment 9011600
I love hitting the high cut on approach shots. Gets that soft landing and looks pretty.

I think I need to go with this 6 iron. Drive OB and I just hit this thing on a rope to recover and make bogey.
827CFD56-1F83-44D0-BDB2-5ADF63EBA0AA.jpeg

20210606_120727.jpg20210606_120922.jpg

54* wedge from 125y on hole #2 for the first birdie of the day. About 4" from holing it.

I have to say the best shot of my last round was a 110 yd wedge shot to 4' from the hole on the 18th that allowed me to save bogey after I topped my drive, hooked my 2nd shot into the woods, and had to chip out onto the fairway.

There wasn't a lot to choose from today, but I did have one shinning moment. On the par 5 3rd hole I was in the fairway bunker hitting my 4th (yes my forth) from 80 yards, pulled a 56 degree wedge and hit the stick leaving the ball about 18 inches from the cup. A tap in for a better than I deserved par.

Another couple great saves with the 58* wedge yesterday. I think this was my best. Swung an 8 iron way too hard and faded off to the right of the green finding cart path. Took my relief and had about 25 yards to go, to a green that was probably about 10-15' above my position. Opened the 58* wedge way up and put a great shot to about 8 feet. Not exactly a Phil level flop, but for me it was a fantastic shot. Sinking the par putt was the icing on the cake. Sorry about the quality, the GPS photo on ShotScope for this hole isn't great.

1623072952978.png

Par 5 8th hole on a pretty poor day. Hot and humid, and I just wasn't feeling it. I hit a decent but short drive. Second and third shots both struck trees and traveled a combined 150 yards. Fourth ended up not particularly close to the green. But the fifth shot was a sand wedge out of the rough that landed about 3 feet short and rolled up to less than two inches for a tap in bogey. Playing partner said it probably would have gone in but it hit a maple helicopter on the green.

Played 18 after work. Solid round. But the birdie holes were just a string of solid shots, nothing spectacular. So, we'll go for a 120 foot chip to 2 feet to save par as the BSOTR.

Had a clean round going but finally missed a fairway with driver. Put myself in a tough spot. Saw a window to recover if I could hit it and keep it below the hole.

Screenshot_20210607-212602_Video Player.jpg

Got a little strong and went past the pin.

Left a tricky downhill putt from 20' but really wanted to flip my fortune after getting through the trees. Gave it a tap and got a nice roll to not just stay clean, but go to -5 thru 14. Felt like nothing could stop me after that.

Last edited:
Just off the green, within putting range but with a little patch of grass right in front of the ball that would’ve derailed a putt.

I like to use a 7i and hit it like a putt in that situation. Pops up a touch over the rough spot then rolls out.

My opponent went out into Golf Announcer Voice and said “Well Jim, looks like he’s chipping here instead of putting, he may have lost his mind...”

Drained it for birdie.

Finally able to get some touch back and hit a low checking 48 from 92 yesterday to three feet.

Just off the green, within putting range but with a little patch of grass right in front of the ball that would’ve derailed a putt.

I like to use a 7i and hit it like a putt in that situation. Pops up a touch over the rough spot then rolls out.

My opponent went out into Golf Announcer Voice and said “Well Jim, looks like he’s chipping here instead of putting, he may have lost his mind...”

Drained it for birdie.
That's the way to get your buddy the announcer.

Back