The Callaway Mavrik Driver

I wonder if my driver is currently being constructed in the fires of Asgard...maybe Nidavellir. Will I be worthy enough to wield it? Will it fly to me out of my bag when I walk by and lift my hand? Okay. A bit much. But TAKE MY MONEY AND GIVE ME MY HAMMER!
Neooooo. It’s my hammer!

me too. i hope to get on a monitor to give some comparative numbers before i put the g400 max up for sale. absolutely positive zero hesitation to put my mavrik in the bag. it. is. AWESOME.
Replaced my G410+. Not even a question that I’ll be getting rid of that thing soon. The Mavrik is longgggggg.

I really, really luv my Epic Flash SZ.....I will not hit the Mavrik back to back vs. my SZ. I must resist plus I need lots of other updates in my bag. Now that’s sound reasoning (keep repeating). I think it looks really cool in the orange, subtle but with a bit of flare.

I am looking forward to the thoughts from the GD crew when they compare to their recently departed Flash drivers.

Replaced my G410+. Not even a question that I’ll be getting rid of that thing soon. The Mavrik is longgggggg.

you were positively giddy about the driver after team play on wednesday. stepped up and pounded it in the horse race too!

I really, really luv my Epic Flash SZ.....I will not hit the Mavrik back to back vs. my SZ. I must resist plus I need lots of other updates in my bag. Now that’s sound reasoning (keep repeating). I think it looks really cool in the orange, subtle but with a bit of flare.

I am looking forward to the thoughts from the GD crew when they compare to their recently departed Flash drivers.
I'm just saying. I love my Epic Flash SZ. Buuuut, 0 hesitation to send it packing now.

some out there are saying this driver doesn’t look good. looks are subjective, but imho this looks great.

I only have a USGA image to go off of prior to seeing Xander swinging it. Would Callaway really bring out an ugly club? Nah.

When I first saw the photos I was, meh, I guess the EFSZ will stay another year. Normally gains year or year are minimal not justifying laying out again for a driver. But from the sounds of things I may be wrong. I picked up 10 yards over Rogue SZ. If this does the same here I go again.

I'm assuming there will be the usual roll out of fairways in the Mavrik line????

(Edit) Never mind I found pictures of the fairways, I was surprised that the SZ shaft appears to be a glued in, but it was stated that it was to allow for greater forgiveness in the fairway woods. As long as you can bend them a little I guess that's a good thing.

Last edited:
I get that many will discount what the Grandaddy guys have to say because of perceived bias, but before you rush to judgement, go hit it. I’m not sure if it will be longer than what you have now, but I’m pretty sure it can’t be that far behind if it is.
Also color matters I get, but when the driver is at address does it?

I wish we could say more, but when this one hits the shelves a lot of people will walk back some comments and be pleasantly surprised.

I get that many will discount what the Grandaddy guys have to say because of perceived bias, but before you rush to judgement, go hit it. I’m not sure if it will be longer than what you have now, but I’m pretty sure it can’t be that far behind if it is.

I wish we could say more, but when this one hits the shelves a lot of people will walk back some comments and be pleasantly surprised.

The last time I tried hitting my driver with the sole pointing up it didn't end well.

If Callaway thought color at address doesn’t matter, Udesign would have never been offered at retail. But they know some people are stubborn and thus made a way to satisfy their concerns, for a premium charge.

If Callaway thought color at address doesn’t matter, Udesign would have never been offered at retail. But they know some people are stubborn and thus made a way to satisfy their concerns, for a premium charge.

true, but to discount a driver bc stock color is crazy.

I'm just saying. I love my Epic Flash SZ. Buuuut, 0 hesitation to send it packing now.

That makes me both very unhappy and very happy at the same time. So conflicted. :)

I haven’t seen it in hand and am joking when I say the color makes me want to puke. But the top drivers seem so close in performance these days that looks do matter. People won’t buy a pea-green Ferrari and people don’t want to own an ugly driver. People eliminate irons as their choice all of the time based on looks and it might not be as much of a factor on a driver, but it is still a factor.

If golfers believe that it outperforms everything by a mile, color won’t matter all that much. But if the new Cobra performs the same as Callaway Mavrik, looks will matter. I can’t wait to see it and read all of the feedback.

This club Custom Shopped in Purple will be straight ?

true, but to discount a driver bc stock color is crazy.
yet it's an important factor in a purchase, and even getting past the first look stage of a purchase - shelf appeal is real

It didn't take long for Xander to start gaming the Mavrick. He has it in the bag at the Presidents Cup.

I like the name for this one. Cool teaser too,seen some photos . Xander is using one this week as well

yet it's an important factor in a purchase, and even getting past the first look stage of a purchase - shelf appeal is real

i think for the select few from Internet forums it might play a bigger issue, but we have to remember we are a small percentage of the golfing public who break down the minutia of equipment

It's an interesting thought because I agree looks matter a lot.
My other thought is that Epic, Rogue and Epic Flash were all panned for the color choices upon release and all 3 ended up as the #1 selling driver.

If a driver crown has a lot of colour then the look would be something I would take in to consideration, but when it is the sole I am not too concerned

Unless you leave the headcover off the club whilst it is in your bag, you aren't going to see it - it is the headcover colour and design that would be the issue then, but I know a lot of people have custom covers that they use to replace stock ones, so again it shouldn't really matter

I think at this point that some manufacturers have determined it's better to have a questionable colour that's easily noticeable on TV, than a clean colorway that looks the same as everything else.

It's an interesting thought because I agree looks matter a lot.
My other thought is that Epic, Rogue and Epic Flash were all panned for the color choices upon release and all 3 ended up as the #1 selling driver.

this is something i think a lot of people forget. hell, i was guilty of panning flash when we saw this first pics. but when i finally saw it, it looked great. this one is no different. to me it looks excellent in hand. i’m thrilled with it.

Back