The Car Shopping Thread

Planning on getting a truck when the wife's car is paid off. Criteria being:

Reliability - as little new eco tech as possible (i dont trust it yet)
quad cab that can comfortable fit my 2 kids in the back
6-7 foot bed
ability to tow up to 10,000 lbs

So far im left with little that fits it all. im looking at the F150 with the 5.0L V8. It's not the ecoboost turbo, can be found with a 6.5' bed and decent size quad cab and can tow 10K

The other option is the Ram 2500 Cummins but those are way overkill for my needs and stupid expensive to get with low miles...

I wish the Tundra had a longer bed and higher tow rating in the quad cab setup...

Just got the email from Tesla that my Model Y should be delivered soon.

Wife informed me yesterday that it was time I go look for another car. I've always purchased used, but have had some bum luck on the last couple with some minor things coming up here or there that weren't major, but were annoying. Back up camera stops working intermittently, a/c stops working for no apparent reason and shop unable to identify, or a multitude of other little things. Well apparently since she had to drive my car the last few days, these things have p1ssed her off to the point where I'm going car shopping.

She's insisting that I get a new car, I'm reluctant from a fiscal perspective. Not even sure where to start... nothing fancy, daily driver for 50+ miles a day to and from work. Guess we're going to look at Honda/Toyota etc for the gas mileage, comfort and go from there. Wish me luck....

Wife informed me yesterday that it was time I go look for another car. I've always purchased used, but have had some bum luck on the last couple with some minor things coming up here or there that weren't major, but were annoying. Back up camera stops working intermittently, a/c stops working for no apparent reason and shop unable to identify, or a multitude of other little things. Well apparently since she had to drive my car the last few days, these things have p1ssed her off to the point where I'm going car shopping.

She's insisting that I get a new car, I'm reluctant from a fiscal perspective. Not even sure where to start... nothing fancy, daily driver for 50+ miles a day to and from work. Guess we're going to look at Honda/Toyota etc for the gas mileage, comfort and go from there. Wish me luck....
Good luck!! The fiscal perspective is always a good issue to watch. I sure love brand new cars....for about a year. Then I hate the payments for the 4 years after that!

Have you thought about a Certified Pre-Owned car? That way you don't take the depreciation hit and you still get the warranty. I have had several of those with good luck. You pay a bit more than a garden variety used car but less than a new vehicle.

Have you thought about a Certified Pre-Owned car? That way you don't take the depreciation hit and you still get the warranty. I have had several of those with good luck. You pay a bit more than a garden variety used car but less than a new vehicle.
Definitely have- and it's an option for me at least. Wife, who pays the bills is driving this ship though haha.

Definitely have- and it's an option for me at least. Wife, who pays the bills is driving this ship though haha.

This sounds very familiar 😀

This sounds very familiar 😀
It's both a pleasure and a painful experience no?

No I don't expect you to answer that haha....;)

Last edited:
Planning on getting a truck when the wife's car is paid off. Criteria being:

Reliability - as little new eco tech as possible (i dont trust it yet)
quad cab that can comfortable fit my 2 kids in the back
6-7 foot bed
ability to tow up to 10,000 lbs

So far im left with little that fits it all. im looking at the F150 with the 5.0L V8. It's not the ecoboost turbo, can be found with a 6.5' bed and decent size quad cab and can tow 10K

The other option is the Ram 2500 Cummins but those are way overkill for my needs and stupid expensive to get with low miles...

I wish the Tundra had a longer bed and higher tow rating in the quad cab setup...
Nissan Titan XD would fit the bill, you limit your options considerably asking for a long bed with a crew/quad cab. IDK if it's just me, but trucks just arn't practical to be both a people hauler and using the utility of it at the same time.

I work in the car business so if anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out.

My wife would be have me driving this if she could: (Let see if anyone knows what this is)

1591113571853.png

I have the opposite issue - my wife loves the simplicity of her 2007 and wants to keep it on the road. CPO is a great option, and another good option would require waiting for the end of the model year, particularly if a design change is coming up. Bought our last two that way, and it worked out very well.

I drive a 2012 Accord SE (heated leather seats) and really enjoy it. It is rock solid reliable, one of the most reliable accords ever built. The 2012 was the last of that generation. 2013+ went to a CVT transmission in the 4cyl variant and I dont trust the long term reliability on those. The weak point of my accord is the fluids (very important to keep fluids clean especially the transmission) and the a/c condenser is exposed to rocks and debris near the bottom of the bumper. Alot of folks install some mesh wiring to help protect the condenser. I service the transmission fluid every 15K miles with a drain and fill and I havent had any transmission issues on my last two hondas. (2006 Pilot)

I drive a 2012 Accord SE (heated leather seats) and really enjoy it. It is rock solid reliable, one of the most reliable accords ever built. The 2012 was the last of that generation. 2013+ went to a CVT transmission in the 4cyl variant and I dont trust the long term reliability on those. The weak point of my accord is the fluids (very important to keep fluids clean especially the transmission) and the a/c condenser is exposed to rocks and debris near the bottom of the bumper. Alot of folks install some mesh wiring to help protect the condenser. I service the transmission fluid every 15K miles with a drain and fill and I havent had any transmission issues on my last two hondas. (2006 Pilot)
Appreciate the insight!

My very first car was a 1966 Rambler Classic, woefully underpowered with an in-line 6. It had vacuum windshield wipers, which meant the wipers didn't work when the engine was under load. I drove it 40 miles to a job, and coming home, there was a four mile hill to climb. If I was doing 70 at the bottom, and floored it the entire way, I could maybe be doing 35 at the top. But it seemed to rain every afternoon, which meant either letting my foot off the gas every quarter mile, or sticking my head out the window to see where I was going.

We've had seven Accords and I can vouch for their reliability, safety, and durability in over 800k miles. Two met premature deaths, but the others have logged up to 285,000 miles. I guess I'll find out about the CVT durability in my current 2019, but two other Hondas in our extended family have a combined 60k on two CVTs with no issues, Not a lot, I know. If you can find a 2013-15 EX-L V6, it is a stunningly competent car, and it saved me from serious injury when I T-boned a clueless driver at about 50-55 mph.

There are a lot of good cars out there right now, and an eagerness to move them.

Last edited:
My very first car was a 1966 Rambler Classic, woefully underpowered with an in-line 6. It had vacuum windshield wipers, which meant the wipers didn't work when the engine was under load. I drove it 40 miles to a job, and coming home, there was a four mile hill to climb. If I was doing 70 at the bottom, and floored it the entire way, I could maybe be doing 35 at the top. But it seemed to rain every afternoon, which meant either letting my foot off the gas every quarter mile, or sticking my head out the window to see where I was going.
I believe the 1969 had the famed 232 cu engine in it.
My uncle had a 73 Hornet with a 360 V8 in it. It could go

Last edited:
I believe the 1969 had the famed 232 cu engine in it.
My uncle had a 73 Hornet with a 360 V8 in it. I could go

My 1966 had the 232. Very smooth, the Classic was just too big of a car for it. Classics and Americans always seemed to have AAA stickers on the bumper and fedora-wearing drivers.

That was a blast from the past. My first car was also a 1966 Rambler--the station wagon version. Always will remember those vacuum windshield wipers. Rain and snow was challenging.

Home for the night after test driving 3 different Accords and a couple Camry's. Have settled on the Accord Sport and pick it up minana. Yay for me!

Home for the night after test driving 3 different Accords and a couple Camry's. Have settled on the Accord Sport and pick it up minana. Yay for me!

Congrats! The Sport is a great value in the Accord lineup and I think you will be very happy for a long time.

That was a blast from the past. My first car was also a 1966 Rambler--the station wagon version. Always will remember those vacuum windshield wipers. Rain and snow was challenging.

I'm reading this and thinking that everyone reading these posts who have not experienced vacuum wipers can't possibly appreciate what we're talking about:

Back