The Car Shopping Thread

We just bought a new 2019 Toyota Highlander. We needed a bit bigger SUV with two kids now, and my wife really had her mind set on one. Test drove a used one, but couldn't come to a good enough price on it. Decided to spring extra for the brand new one. We got 6k off of sticker and that really pushed us towards new. I've never had a new car before...
20200719_160003.jpg

We just bought a new 2019 Toyota Highlander. We needed a bit bigger SUV with two kids now, and my wife really had her mind set on one. Test drove a used one, but couldn't come to a good enough price on it. Decided to spring extra for the brand new one. We got 6k off of sticker and that really pushed us towards new. I've never had a new car before...
View attachment 8954769

Congrats! we have friends who own one and love it.

funny how people think of the size they need. Our second kid and my wife said we need a bigger SUV (we were in a 4Runner)... a few months later we bought a Sequoia. No way she's going back to anything smaller...

Congrats! we have friends who own one and love it.

funny how people think of the size they need. Our second kid and my wife said we need a bigger SUV (we were in a 4Runner)... a few months later we bought a Sequoia. No way she's going back to anything smaller...
I was doing to driving (she wasnt cleared to drive yet) and we both liked how it drove small. Definitely bigger than the cx5 but still pretty reasonable. If we find we dont have enough cargo room, we are going to go roof rack!

105 plus Bronco orders so far. We won't see them until probably 1 year from now but we will have the sport before the end of this year.

My wife drives a Highlander and absolutely loves it. I love it as well. Been a solid vehicle for us the last couple years. Congrats!

105 plus Bronco orders so far. We won't see them until probably 1 year from now but we will have the sport before the end of this year.

The moreI see it the more I fall in love. Trying to be patient for it...

Anyone own a 2017-2018 Lincoln MKX? If so, any reason to stay away?
My daughter just bought a 2017 MKX. She's only had it for 2 months and she loves it. It's a nice freaking ride. She bought it, literally a week after we bought my wife a RAV4 and I haven't heard the end of it since. My wife is SUPER freaking jealous. My daughter said the only thing that she noticed that gave her concern, at first was that at lower speeds (10-15 mph) it had a hard time knowing when/where to shift if she wasn't accelerating/decelerating and it would hard shift. She said it hasn't done it since in the past few weeks. She absolutely loves the car, though.

Hers is an AWD and she's taken it back in the sticks camping 3 times since she bought it. The ground clearance and AWD has taken her WAY back in the mountains with no trouble at all. She's going out camping again this weekend. She just finished loading it up. Tent, sleeping bags, YETI cooler, propane grill, plus my cooking camping tote with pots/pans, plates, silverware, etc. all got loaded up tonight. All she has to do after work is pick up her dog and she's back in the woods again.

My daughter said the only thing that she noticed that gave her concern, at first was that at lower speeds (10-15 mph) it had a hard time knowing when/where to shift if she wasn't accelerating/decelerating and it would hard shift. She said it hasn't done it since in the past few weeks. She absolutely loves the car, though.

Have her have the transmission checked soon...I had an 2016 Escape as a work car that did the same thing. (Not sure if they share parts)

It was the electronic solenoid in the transmission. It would have been a $3000 repair bill if it was out of warranty.

I went with Outer Banks. Honestly I don't need much in terms of the off-road features. I basically never go anywhere more off-road than gravel. But living near Buffalo, I need to be able to get through 6-12 inches of snow on road. And of course be roofless/doorless in the summer.

I put the $100 down on the 4-door Big Bend but may change my mind to the Outer Banks. I need to see the interiors in person and exactly what options are available on each model. I know I’m ordering the 2.7l engine and some upgraded interior features such as heated seats.

We had a Bronco growing up that I loved but couldn’t afford to buy when my dad sold it when I was in college. I’ve been thinking about a Wrangler as a 3rd vehicle for the last few years as I have a few buddies that go “Jeeping” a few times a year and I’d love to join them especially now that I’m retired and have the time. My youngest daughter gets her license in 12 months so we will need a third vehicle some days. We get some snow and icy roads and as a new driver I’d like to have something safe for her to drive on those 15 or so days a year where the roads are snow covered and slippery. I’d also use it once or twice a year for the logging trails that access the Boundary Waters Canoe Area lakes a few hours north of us. Some of those trails are 1-2 mph in certain sections even for a capable SUV.

We’ve bought 4 new vehicles for my wife over the years but I drove company vehicles(base model mini vans or mid size SUVs) most of my adult life so this will be the first ever new vehicle purchased for me but I’m sure my daughter will likely put as many or more miles on it as I do until she goes off to college in 3 years.

My daughter just bought a 2017 MKX. She's only had it for 2 months and she loves it. It's a nice freaking ride. She bought it, literally a week after we bought my wife a RAV4 and I haven't heard the end of it since. My wife is SUPER freaking jealous. My daughter said the only thing that she noticed that gave her concern, at first was that at lower speeds (10-15 mph) it had a hard time knowing when/where to shift if she wasn't accelerating/decelerating and it would hard shift. She said it hasn't done it since in the past few weeks. She absolutely loves the car, though.

Hers is an AWD and she's taken it back in the sticks camping 3 times since she bought it. The ground clearance and AWD has taken her WAY back in the mountains with no trouble at all. She's going out camping again this weekend. She just finished loading it up. Tent, sleeping bags, YETI cooler, propane grill, plus my cooking camping tote with pots/pans, plates, silverware, etc. all got loaded up tonight. All she has to do after work is pick up her dog and she's back in the woods again.
Sort of wish we would have opted for the AWD in our Edge Sport. It would have been nice to have on some of our trips with it. Which engine does she have in her MKX?

Anyone own a 2017-2018 Lincoln MKX? If so, any reason to stay away?

I had a 2017 MKC and it was pretty flawless. Never had any issues at all.

Last edited:
Sort of wish we would have opted for the AWD in our Edge Sport. It would have been nice to have on some of our trips with it. Which engine does she have in her MKX?
I'll ask her when she gets back from camping but it's certainly a 6 cylinder.

Have her have the transmission checked soon...I had an 2016 Escape as a work car that did the same thing. (Not sure if they share parts)

It was the electronic solenoid in the transmission. It would have been a $3000 repair bill if it was out of warranty.
Thanks for the heads up. She purchased an extended warranty, also. I'll have her get it checked out ASAP. Thank you.

Does anyone have experience extending a vehicle lease beyond it‘s maturity date? My current lease runs out in November, but Alyssa and I are building a house, which we will not close on prior to then, and I’d prefer to wait until we do (December/January) before jumping into a new car. In my brief research (google), it sounds relatively easy to do, but honestly, I didn’t even know it was an option until just recently.

Just officially sold my Mini Cooper.
Went through Carvana. The whole process was incredibly easy, and the offer was very competitive. Would absolutely look at doing business with them in the future.

So now the wife and I are going to share her car (2017 Highlander) until we are ready to buy again. Likely the Bronco next year.

Just officially sold my Mini Cooper.
Went through Carvana. The whole process was incredibly easy, and the offer was very competitive. Would absolutely look at doing business with them in the future.

So now the wife and I are going to share her car (2017 Highlander) until we are ready to buy again. Likely the Bronco next year.

I have sold two cars to Carvana in the last 12 months and I agree, the process is easy and their offers are very good depending on the vehicle.

Paid off my Wife's 2018 Mazda CX-9 last night. It feels good to not have a car payment! We managed to pay it off 2.5 years early too.

Next step will be to save a full emergency fund (Dave Ramsey style) and then save for a big down payment on a truck next year

Taking the wife out tomorrow to test drive some subaru's and VW's. I'm sick of the Odyssey she drives, and it's out of warranty with about a billion moving parts hahaha

Would love to see her get into a Tiguan. Funny thing is, every time we find her a new car, I swap as well. Let's see if history doesn't repeat :ROFLMAO:

Taking the wife out tomorrow to test drive some subaru's and VW's. I'm sick of the Odyssey she drives, and it's out of warranty with about a billion moving parts hahaha

Would love to see her get into a Tiguan. Funny thing is, every time we find her a new car, I swap as well. Let's see if history doesn't repeat :ROFLMAO:

Good luck! We are a VW/Audi family and I’ll be shopping in the spring when my son gets his license. I’ve got a Touareg now, which he will probably end up with, and like the looks of the new Tiguan but it feels a bit small, so I’ll likely end up with the Atlas Cross Sport.

Good luck! We are a VW/Audi family and I’ll be shopping in the spring when my son gets his license. I’ve got a Touareg now, which he will probably end up with, and like the looks of the new Tiguan but it feels a bit small, so I’ll likely end up with the Atlas Cross Sport.
She's been aggressively eyeballing the Ascent and Atlas (my preferred dealer is a VW with a neighboring Subaru tie in), but I've had the newer Tiguan on loan and I think it's much improved from previous years for a "we're a one kid household" mindset in place haha

She's also all in on the AWD (former Legacy driver) and it's nice that Tiguan offers it for not a huge upcharge.

She's been aggressively eyeballing the Ascent and Atlas (my preferred dealer is a VW with a neighboring Subaru tie in), but I've had the newer Tiguan on loan and I think it's much improved from previous years for a "we're a one kid household" mindset in place haha

She's also all in on the AWD (former Legacy driver) and it's nice that Tiguan offers it for not a huge upcharge.

I agree it’s head and shoulders over previous years, and really sharp looking, especially the R! Where we are all Atlas come AWD, the dealer doesn’t order them without because of the weather. Our friends have the Atlas with the 3rd row, that’s a bit much for us. So, Goldilocks style, the cross sport fits the Bill for me.

Not having any experience with Subaru, is the Ascent bigger than the outback?

I agree it’s head and shoulders over previous years, and really sharp looking, especially the R! Where we are all Atlas come AWD, the dealer doesn’t order them without because of the weather. Our friends have the Atlas with the 3rd row, that’s a bit much for us. So, Goldilocks style, the cross sport fits the Bill for me.

Has to be. SUV with captains chairs if you pay enough haha

1604108787052.png

Agreed the new Tiguan is pretty spectacular. We just arranged a short lease of a Q8, which I think is based on the same platform - and I chose it because I like the new Tiggy so much. A friend of mine bought one recently and it really is a great ride

Oh fancy! Lol.
Oh yeah.. I've alerted her if she buys one, we won't be 'paying enough' for those fancy things.

At that point, we may as well get an Audi.

Back