The Car Shopping Thread

Agreed the new Tiguan is pretty spectacular. We just arranged a short lease of a Q8, which I think is based on the same platform - and I chose it because I like the new Tiggy so much. A friend of mine bought one recently and it really is a great ride

Might be a dumb question but, how long is a short lease and what’s the benefit of that? The Q8 is sharp! Was looking at those last month when my wife got her new A4.

Might be a dumb question but, how long is a short lease and what’s the benefit of that? The Q8 is sharp! Was looking at those last month when my wife got her new A4.
Needed a car in London, and arranged for a 6 month lease. Not sure I'll be there longer, so I don't want to be stuck into something.

Agreed the new Tiguan is pretty spectacular. We just arranged a short lease of a Q8, which I think is based on the same platform - and I chose it because I like the new Tiggy so much. A friend of mine bought one recently and it really is a great ride
Wait wait wait. Penalty flag is out. You said in a different thread you would never drive a car from a losing team in a war. You are driving an Audi? Weird.

Wait wait wait. Penalty flag is out. You said in a different thread you would never drive a car from a losing team in a war. You are driving an Audi? Weird.
Ooooohhhhh Fair play! I didn't say I'd never drive a car from the losing side of a war. I said I wouldn't display the losers flag... I'm not flying a German flag on top of the car!

Ooooohhhhh Fair play! I didn't say I'd never drive a car from the losing side of a war. I said I wouldn't display the losers flag... I'm not flying a German flag on top of the car!
I guess semantics can be used when it fits a narrative 😂😂😂😀

She's been aggressively eyeballing the Ascent and Atlas (my preferred dealer is a VW with a neighboring Subaru tie in), but I've had the newer Tiguan on loan and I think it's much improved from previous years for a "we're a one kid household" mindset in place haha

She's also all in on the AWD (former Legacy driver) and it's nice that Tiguan offers it for not a huge upcharge.

My wife has a 2019 Crosstrek and even I am shocked at how solid and comfortable their cars are. Definitely a Subaru fan now even though I will never drive it now :)

My wife has a 2019 Crosstrek and even I am shocked at how solid and comfortable their cars are. Definitely a Subaru fan now even though I will never drive it now :)
we drove some Subarus...

All I learned this weekend is that she isn't all that ready to get a new car, she wants something massive (despite not needing anything big at all), and that I wasted a perfectly good golf morning haha

She's been aggressively eyeballing the Ascent and Atlas
My daughter has an Atlas and loves it. It has way more room than I expected. It drives great.

My daughter has an Atlas and loves it. It has way more room than I expected. It drives great.
What's crazy is, I believe both the Atlas and the Ascent would be too wide to fit in our garage. Instant deal breaker.

I've finally joined the new Era.

I ran my 2007 Mazda3 into the ground, literally, after 150,000 miles the engine died.

I always said my next vehicle would be an SUV/Crossover and I purchased a brand new 2020 Nissan Rogue. It's fantastic. Excellent gas mileage, ECO and Sport Mode, a BACKUP CAMERA, haha you don't realize how out of date you are until you get a new vehicle.

Great for golf, very spacious, love the features, and 6 months of SiriusXM for free as a small perk.

What's crazy is, I believe both the Atlas and the Ascent would be too wide to fit in our garage. Instant deal breaker.
The Atlas looks as wide as my Tahoe.

So I'm buying my Father's 2017 Chevy Impala Premier Edition with 3,500 miles on it,.
Yes, 3.500 miles on a 3 year old car.
He's 81 and has taken ill, hasn't drove it since March and the way he is trending, he's not going to be driving again. (He caught COVID at the Nursing Home early October - Recovered but really took him for a "Loop")
So I'm buying to give him some money for anticipated expenses coming up and cut out the insurance.

So I'm selling my 2019 Dodge Journey outright to a dealer. Had 7600 miles on it.
It has been interesting as I have caught a good time to be in the selling market for a Used Car.
Prices are up 20% as once Public Transportation commuters no longer want to take the train.

I've shopped at KBB, Auto Nation, CarMax, Vroom and Carvana.
Carvana actually has given my the best price and seems the easiest.
Waiting for the Title to come as I paid off the car a week or so ago.

Now, I have new car fever. I inherited my wife's 2015 Tahoe when she decided she wanted a smaller SUV. It's paid for and only has 87K miles. I don't need new car fever. I don't.

If I was in the market for a ICE SUV I would be hard pressed not to immediately get a Telluride or a Palisade.

If I was in the market for a ICE SUV I would be hard pressed not to immediately get a Telluride or a Palisade.
I read an interview with the person in charge of US manufacturing for Hyundai and he said they cant' make enough of them.
Dealers are clamming for both of these.

Last edited:
I only drive German. Porsche to be specific. 911's. I still have my old 944 Turbo S with 310,000 miles on it. It's a beast.

I only drive German. Porsche to be specific. 911's. I still have my old 944 Turbo S with 310,000 miles on it. It's a beast.

I am a big fan of fancy Beetles as well.

I'm going to be in the market for something small for my son. The car he's got has let him down twice now and it's looking to go down the road and be replaced by something else.

I am a big fan of fancy Beetles as well.
That's good. You can get a Beetle in a convertible and you would have a real fancy Beetle. If you could afford it.

And, if you're nice I will take you for a spin in my 911. Then you can tell your pals what it's like to blast around in a Porsche. You can even see how the PDK works and I'll show you the Launch Control feature. Ha

Last edited:
Q8 is a very nice one. 👊
The only VW built on the MLBevo platform is the Touareg. Tiguan is built on same platform as the Q3.

Nice. I haven't actually seen it in person. Must be bigger than I think!
Yes, the Q8's are a bit "chunky". Think a bit bigger than Q5, but just a bit smaller than Q7.

You won't be disappointed with the Q8, very nice.

That's good. You can get a Beetle in a convertible and you would have a real fancy Beetle. If you could afford it.

And, if you're nice I will take you for a spin in my 911. Then you can tell your pals what it's like to blast around in a Porsche. You can even see how the PDK works and I'll show you the Launch Control feature. Ha

If I can afford it? How adorable.

Back