The Car Shopping Thread

I have a 2013 Focus Hatchback with the 5 sp.manual and I can say even though its a fun car with decent mileage,a tall person would definitely NOT fit in one.Also,NEVER,I repeat NEVER consider a auto 2012-2019 Focus.The dual clutch auto is a real POS as far as reliability. My wife has a 2012 Honda Civic and its been a great car.Not sure how someone 6'4" would fit that though.For referance I am 5'7" about 160 lbs.
Thanks for the feedback! Falls in line with what I've been reading and we've since moved on from that line. The CIVIC's are a great car and roomy but after driving 8 of them I think we've eliminated them as well. Turbo lag is much better than the Acura's (which we've experienced all too much of with the wife and no longer have). However, it's there and not desirable especially within those 8 vehicles I found a couple with issues.

Have gone back towards the small SUV search and surprisingly the Escape ecoboost is leading the way. SEL or Titanium with the bigger screen I think. 4 other brands have been driven as well. They lead in package options and asthetics sometimes but always come back to the escape for overall feel.

Now to find the right mileages, package, color, and wheel style that fall into our small budget.

I'm so tired of looking, driving, and mostly interaction with dealers.

That's actually my favorite color combo. I've got Carbon Black with the mocha dakota (full leather pkg) on my current X5. You'll grow to love it!
On all of my 5 series, including my 2010 M5, I swapped the run flats for Pilot Super Sports, and I firmly believe they are the greatest tires in the world. They absolutely hug the road. Enjoy!

You've got me drooling for another sedan - sadly life gets in the way, and the wife likes SUVs
Which used 5 series year and trim would you recommend to take a look at with a budget in the 25k range?

Thanks for the feedback! Falls in line with what I've been reading and we've since moved on from that line. The CIVIC's are a great car and roomy but after driving 8 of them I think we've eliminated them as well. Turbo lag is much better than the Acura's (which we've experienced all too much of with the wife and no longer have). However, it's there and not desirable especially within those 8 vehicles I found a couple with issues.

Have gone back towards the small SUV search and surprisingly the Escape ecoboost is leading the way. SEL or Titanium with the bigger screen I think. 4 other brands have been driven as well. They lead in package options and asthetics sometimes but always come back to the escape for overall feel.

Now to find the right mileages, package, color, and wheel style that fall into our small budget.

My son and DIL have an Escape SEL ecoboost and love it.It's actually my DIL's car ,my son has a 2017 Subaru Outback and it is a great SUV also.I am seeing more and more of the Outbacks around our area.

Reactions: J4U
Which used 5 series year and trim would you recommend to take a look at with a budget in the 25k range?
Both the late model (2009/10) e60 and the F10 are great cars, and can be had well under $20k

Here's a 2013 (f10) 535 M sport for $18k

If you are going to stretch to 25k, you'll find a lot of slightly newer model years with lower milage.

stay away from the V8. Before 2014 or so, that engine was a trouble magnet.

Anyone got a beat on a cheap lease? Wife needs a car/crossover $0 down.... she hates car shopping. Pretty much just need a grocery getter / short commuter.
These guys have quite a few deals if you click through the pages at the bottom of the spreadsheet. This is the north east list, so they encompass Ohio.

Doesn't look like any are listed at 0 down, but I bet you can get it down to just 1st month's payment DAS if you negotiate the milage.

Are there any sales threads? Looking to offload a car for a friend who won it in a raffle.

Both the late model (2009/10) e60 and the F10 are great cars, and can be had well under $20k

Here's a 2013 (f10) 535 M sport for $18k

If you are going to stretch to 25k, you'll find a lot of slightly newer model years with lower milage.

stay away from the V8. Before 2014 or so, that engine was a trouble magnet.

My thoughts are I agree to the extent that I would only do an F10 in M Sport.

I bought a 2014 F10 535i with 36k in 2016 - upgraded springs and struts and rear sway bar - But you can't put lipstick on a pig.

Hence, the purchase of the 2017 540i M Sport. If one can find a 2017 540i for under 35k, that's a great, high tech car for the future that is tighter than the previous 5 Series - lots of high tech bells and whistles that are useful. Well worth the additional money.

think about a RAV4. They’ve come a long way and have a slightly wider wheel base than the previous versions. Plus it’s a Toyota and I trust them.

Reactions: J4U
Mazda CX-5 in a turbo? Seems as if the car media loves it.

Mazda CX-5 in a turbo? Seems as if the car media loves it.

As someone that hates SUV’s, the wife has a CX-9 turbo. Even I can handle driving it. For a big car, it handles pretty well, has plenty of performance and the interior is of a decent quality. The CX-5 is rated higher the the 9, probably because of its smaller size. If I was forced to get an SUV, I’d really struggle to look past a Mazda.

As someone that hates SUV’s, the wife has a CX-9 turbo. Even I can handle driving it. For a big car, it handles pretty well, has plenty of performance and the interior is of a decent quality. The CX-5 is rated higher the the 9, probably because of its smaller size. If I was forced to get an SUV, I’d really struggle to look past a Mazda.

I would have looked at the CX-9, but when they came out, questions arose about the A/C on a hot day. The CX-5 is a tad too small in the back if you carry adults, but a great package.

think about a RAV4. They’ve come a long way and have a slightly wider wheel base than the previous versions. Plus it’s a Toyota and I trust them.

They are solid automobiles, and have recently gone through a refresh. Great vehicle.

We are going through the same thing for Jenn. She has driven an equinox, RAV4, and an escape titanium. I think the escape is in the lead so far. I was actually surprised how much I liked the equinox as long as it had the bigger engine, just wish it had a bit more cargo space.

We are going through the same thing for Jenn. She has driven an equinox, RAV4, and an escape titanium. I think the escape is in the lead so far. I was actually surprised how much I liked the equinox as long as it had the bigger engine, just wish it had a bit more cargo space.

I had the equinox down in Hilton Head as a rental and it was pretty nice to drive. I liked it more than I expected to.

Wow nice car

Wow nice car!

If you are planning to have the vehicle well into its high mileage years (say above 200K), then consider this.

I've had several engineers and mechanics in the auto industry suggest you stay away from the 4-cylinder engine vehicles. They say that due to the federal mileage edicts designers have had to really push the limits on these engines and as a result they no longer have the long life they had in the past.

Additionally, the most bullet-proof 6-cylinder engine in recent model years is Toyota's.

OK so the wife and I went this weekend looking to get her into a slightly larger vehicle. She currently has a CRV.

We looked at:
Honda Passport
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento

Others
Kia Telluride
Mazda CX9

Opinions on the above? The Hyundai Santa Fe seems to be the winner, but I like the possibility of a 3rd row in the Sorento.... The CX9 is also nice but is much larger...

Most likely will lease this vehicle unless the finance deal is much better.

OK so the wife and I went this weekend looking to get her into a slightly larger vehicle. She currently has a CRV.

We looked at:
Honda Passport
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento

Others
Kia Telluride
Mazda CX9

Opinions on the above? The Hyundai Santa Fe seems to be the winner, but I like the possibility of a 3rd row in the Sorento.... The CX9 is also nice but is much larger...

IF you are thinking Passport please google about their electronics issues with auto start,alarms etc.

IF you are thinking Passport please google about their electronics issues with auto start,alarms etc.
Thank you!! These are the things I want to know about.

Pulled the trigger on a silly truck this past month or so.

Ram 3500 Big Horn with the diesel and the 12" screen.

Really like it. Picked it up for $500 under invoice, and they gave me good $ on my trade in.

Only options it doesn't have, that I wanted, are the 50 gallon fuel tank and the smart cruise control.

We looked at:
Honda Passport
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento

Others
Kia Telluride
Mazda CX9

Santa Fe is great value! If my wife could handle driving something bigger that is where we would be heading.

We looked at:
Honda Passport
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento

Others
Kia Telluride
Mazda CX9

With my wife having a Seltos, I'd be looking at the new Sorento or the Telluride. Kia have upped their game immensely since they first started.

Back