The Car Shopping Thread

Painted the wheels and installed the leveling kit this past weekend. One of these days I'll get around to wrapping the chrome window trim black.

20210228_172739.jpg

Wife is driving her first SUV great deal on the new ride around town Kia Sportage

Wife is driving her first SUV great deal on the new ride around town Kia Sportage

My BIG question with the new Sportage. Can you get a set of clubs in the back without putting the seats down? You can in my wife's Seltos but I think the Sportage is a bit smiller interior wise.

My BIG question with the new Sportage. Can you get a set of clubs in the back without putting the seats down? You can in my wife's Seltos but I think the Sportage is a bit smiller interior wise.

Haha not going to lie, tried to get her to like the Seltos for this reason! Have not even tried to get clubs in her car, it fit the stroller without taking the seat off, so i imagine yes, but could be very tight!

Haha not going to lie, tried to get her to like the Seltos for this reason! Have not even tried to get clubs in her car, it fit the stroller without taking the seat off, so i imagine yes, but could be very tight!
Not exactly a Sportage related answer... but smaller car related. I drive a VW gti. My clubs WILL fit crossways in the back, but I do need to take the driver and 3 wood out of the bag and go in separately, for everything to fit. You might find that necessary. After the hundredth time doing so, it’s like second nature!! 🤣

Not exactly a Sportage related answer... but smaller car related. I drive a VW gti. My clubs WILL fit crossways in the back, but I do need to take the driver and 3 wood out of the bag and go in separately, for everything to fit. You might find that necessary. After the hundredth time doing so, it’s like second nature!! 🤣

Luckily there is about a less than 1% chance I ever take her car to golf!

Thanks mate. I may have to take my clubs when I end up getting a new Kia. I did put them in my wife's so I know they fit.

Thanks mate. I may have to take my clubs when I end up getting a new Kia. I did put them in my wife's so I know they fit.

In the Sportage? any adjustments to make? Could you fit multiple? thinking if I drove for guys trip or picking up a golfer to play?

In the Sportage? any adjustments to make? Could you fit multiple? thinking if I drove for guys trip or picking up a golfer to play?
No Seltos. That's why I was asking about the Sportage. I can get my cart bag in diagonally and my push cart in the cargo area with the back seats up, which is surprising. So the Seltos would fit two bags, no problem.

I sold my car a little under a year ago and have just borrowed my wife’s car when needed, especially since we both worked from home last year.

Well the wife started a new job, and is in the office 5 days a week. I haven’t needed a car yet, but I know that I will be coming soon, as even though I work primarily at home, I still need to visit the office a couple times a month, get to the golf course, and general out and about things I don’t want to always wait on the wife to come home for.

So the search is on.

Picked up an XC90 yesterday as a hold over car til we finally get out of here.

I called the dealership yesterday morning, spoke to the sales manager and told her I like this one and wanted to move forward. I went out to lunch with a friend, and had a couple of drinks, then went watch shopping. Figuring it would take a day or so to hash out the details.

I was standing at the jeweler when my wife calls, very confused,

"Um, there's a guy here with a new car for you?" To which I replied,

"What?!"

Apparently the SM wanted me to have the car that day, as they are closed on Sunday, and sent a guy over to my house with the papers to sign without even coming to an agreement with me. How bold.

So long story short, I have a new car.

PXL_20210314_152515148.jpg

bought the wife a 19 Ram Classic 1500 Crew Cab...she's a happy camper now that we (read: she) have a truck again

Picked up a Prius Prime XLE model few days ago. So far loving this car.
Coming from BMW it’s a big change.
Handling is good. Too many electronics. Huge screen in the middle is manageable. Not a big fan. Little laggy and not crisp enough. Big change is accelerating and breaking. BMW can stop on a dime.
Low front grill is pain. I’ve already scratched it. I’ve charged it few times and I get 24-25 mile in EV mode. Without charge I’m still getting 55-60mpg. Insane. Golf clubs fits horizontally no problem. If you are into tech stuff. You will love this car. Plenty of interior space for 4 adults. Cargo space is bigger than it looks. Road noise is very good. I think it’s quieter than BMW. Maybe it’s the new tires. Was going get regular Prius but with rebates and tax deductions. Prime was much cheaper even XLE model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent a while today driving to different dealerships and looking at some cars.
Looking for something spacious and roomy, can carry golf clubs easily, and the wife likes (though it will be ‘my’ car)
Didn’t care for anything from the major brands (ford, Chevy, dodge).

Liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee having previously rented one.
Tesla model Y isn’t off the table.
Really liked the Kia K5 and Stinger.
The VW Atlas Cross Sport might be the #1 contender right now.

I called the dealership yesterday morning, spoke to the sales manager and told her I like this one and wanted to move forward. I went out to lunch with a friend, and had a couple of drinks, then went watch shopping. Figuring it would take a day or so to hash out the details.

"What?!"

Apparently the SM wanted me to have the car that day, as they are closed on Sunday, and sent a guy over to my house with the papers to sign without even coming to an agreement with me. How bold.

View attachment 8997973
Kind of crazy, I was just about to come into this thread and see if anyone had any thoughts or history with the XC90 and then saw your post. How do you like it so far?

"What?!"

View attachment 8997973
What a power move hahaha

Kind of crazy, I was just about to come into this thread and see if anyone had any thoughts or history with the XC90 and then saw your post. How do you like it so far?
Love it. Quite a bit larger than the X5. We took it to the mountains today just to have some fun, and it is a very pleasant drive.

A bit louder than the x5 (ambient cabin noise) but not hugely noticeable and I was being picky.

The massaging front seats are really awesome.

We traded in our A5 Cabriolet for a Wrangler.

0DE9016B-9960-44B2-98D0-135FF61007F5.jpeg
Wanted something fun.

My family goes, “Um you aren’t a Jeep person”😂

Time to earn some trail badges

Wife ended up getting a new Nissan Rogue. Should suit our needs perfectly.

Me, sends inquiry through my work auto buying program to a couple dealers.

Dealers, send me text message asking to connect.

Me: YES. I am interested in [car model and trim]

Dealer: Great! why don't you come in at 5pm and let's talk about it.

Me: I see xxx on your site. Is this still available?

Dealer: See you at 5!

Me: I won't make it at 5. I see your sale says to inquire, what pricing are we looking at?

Dealer: See you at 6!

Me: ....

Me, sends inquiry through my work auto buying program to a couple dealers.

Dealers, send me text message asking to connect.

Me: YES. I am interested in [car model and trim]

Dealer: Great! why don't you come in at 5pm and let's talk about it.

Me: I see xxx on your site. Is this still available?

Dealer: See you at 5!

Me: I won't make it at 5. I see your sale says to inquire, what pricing are we looking at?

Dealer: See you at 6!

Me: ....
I went through this for 2 weeks. It was impossible. Buying a car has become painfully frustrating.

Spent a while today driving to different dealerships and looking at some cars.
Looking for something spacious and roomy, can carry golf clubs easily, and the wife likes (though it will be ‘my’ car)
Didn’t care for anything from the major brands (ford, Chevy, dodge).

Liked the Jeep Grand Cherokee having previously rented one.
Tesla model Y isn’t off the table.
Really liked the Kia K5 and Stinger.
The VW Atlas Cross Sport might be the #1 contender right now.

Seems like some very different options. That Kia is a completely different option than the Atlas or Grand Cherokee. The Model Y is the SUV isn't it? Kind of a different option.

I went through this for 2 weeks. It was impossible. Buying a car has become painfully frustrating.

I said to Jenn, the best thing about her getting her car is I can stop getting the emails and phone calls.

Agree on painful, but if you get a deal thats reasonable - all you have to do is take it to another place - applies to leases/new mostly, but I was able to deal on off lease-demo cars as well.

If anyone ever needs help. I am always willing to help out with sourcing deals and negotiating. I kind of like that part of car buying and have no problem hearing no.

Back