The Car Shopping Thread

Accidental post.

I am starting to understand where you are going with these cosmetic changes. It looks great.

Thanks! I'm digging the way it's turning out so far. Process can't move fast enough for me tho...

Well, I may be shopping for a new car next week. The wife had a pretty serious accident today in her car. I don't think it's totalled, but the insurance lady typed in the basic information and said it came up as a possible total loss.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

is she all right?

is she all right?

Yes. She's fine, just bruised from the seat belt. I'm sure she's going to feel it tomorrow.

Three months ago I bought a 2016 KIA Sorrento. I have to say I have been very happy with it.

2 weeks into owning an Audi A6, and am absolutely loving it. Most comfortable ride I've been in.

Dan

I got an older Audi S8 as a courtesy car for today and tomorrow. Rides nice but it just seems tired, I want my car back. This morning I approved my Stage 1 tune so right now that should be done and the car should be covered in sealant. I can not wait to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.

I got an older Audi S8 as a courtesy car for today and tomorrow. Rides nice but it just seems tired, I want my car back. This morning I approved my Stage 1 tune so right now that should be done and the car should be covered in sealant. I can not wait to pick it up tomorrow afternoon.
That's a hell of a courtesy car.

That's a hell of a courtesy car.

Yeah. When they told me what it was last week I had to keep my jaw from hitting the desk.

Car is nice and detailed.
WP_20150529_13_01_10_Pro_zpsvptheahq.jpg

Got to test out the Stage 1 tune. Its unbelievable. From around 10 mph to a much larger number in the 3 digit range, happened before I had a chance to react. I launched it once, granted it was raining but all 4 tires broke loose, got traction, through my head back and hit 60 still before stock. Its incredible.

I have the opportunity to buy a 2009 BMW 528i with an awesome service history for $4k under book. What's the word on them?

I have the opportunity to buy a 2009 BMW 528i with an awesome service history for $4k under book. What's the word on them?

Nice, but pricey if anything goes on them. Mom had a 5 series and it was a blast to drive.

I'll be looking for a new car pretty soon. It's company provided and needs to be as "green" as possible due to the taxes.

Where I live you have to pay taxes on company provided cars. You pay your highest income tax rate over a percentage of the car. As we pay up to 52% income tax, that can really add up. But there's a little light at the end of the tunnel: the more Eco-friendly the car, the less the percentage is you have to pay taxes over.

For instance:
- fully electric 0%
- very economic (plug-in) hybrid 7% (Chevy Volt, Golf GTE, Prius plug-in hybrid)
- quite economic, most often hybrids 14%
- not to bad economically 20%
- about average and below 25%

Example:
Pick the new VW Golf GTI. That's a $37.700 car here, bone stock. You get taxed 25% of the list price. Depending on your income you pay 42-52% of that 25% of the list price. In my case that's 52%, so that's (37.700*25%)*52%=$4.901 per year or $408 per month.

Pick a Lexus CT200h and pay 14% in taxes. Images
Pick a Tesla: pay nothing.

Cars are also very expensive here.
The Golf GTI starts at $37.700 in my country, in the USA that's just under $25.000.
A Tesla S85 starts at Just over $90.000 ($67.500 in the USA)
A BWM M4 starts at $122.400, just a bit more then the USA price of $64.200 ;)

Looking at your prices I want to move :D

Also: I saw someone mention a 1.75% interest rate for a car loan. You'll be lucky to get 7% here.. And don't get me started on fuel prices: a liter of RON91 is €1,749 -> 0,264 gallon for $1.92 -> about $7,30 per gallon.. With the current weak pricing of the euro that is!

Last edited:
I didn't want to believe what you said at first but I checked, 34391 euros ($37807) for the starter GTI here is $24785. That is ridiculous, a base R is cheaper than that. Have you looked at the Polo? I'd have to assume that it would be more economical tax wise.

I'm looking at three cars right now:
- Toyota Auris hybrid (wagon)
- Lexus CT200h
- Volvo V40

I'm starting Monday and the budget is still open for discussion. I'd like to get the Golf GTE or Audi A3 e-tron, both plug-in hybrids. Those are 7% and would cost me less then €100/month. (But are >25% over budget) While the aforementioned cars will cost me about €150/month..

For now I'm driving my Mini to work, it's 220km round-trip, with my average consumption that's just 20 liters of fuel, or €35 for one day. ��

I'm looking at three cars right now:
- Toyota Auris hybrid (wagon)
- Lexus CT200h
- Volvo V40

I'm starting Monday and the budget is still open for discussion. I'd like to get the Golf GTE or Audi A3 e-tron, both plug-in hybrids. Those are 7% and would cost me less then €100/month. (But are >25% over budget) While the aforementioned cars will cost me about €150/month..

For now I'm driving my Mini to work, it's 220km round-trip, with my average consumption that's just 20 liters of fuel, or €35 for one day. ��

Not sure about availability, but have you looked into the Lincoln MKZ Hybrid? It's price (here in the US) is the same as the all fuel/no hybrid option and are sleek and comfortable rides. 41 mpg city, 39 hwy. for 40 combined.

http://www.lincoln.com/cars/mkz/hybrid/

You couldn't pay me enough to buy a used BMW, Audi, MBz. Repair costs too high and too unknown. Lease a brand new one? Sure.

Hoping to close the deal on a Lexus RC 350 this weekend..

You couldn't pay me enough to buy a used BMW, Audi, MBz. Repair costs too high and too unknown. Lease a brand new one? Sure.

I'm a decent mechanic in a family of great mechanics, repair cost really isn't too much of an issue as long as there's no known major known issues to the model itself. When I say this car has a great service history, that's an understatement.

For now I'm driving my Mini to work, it's 220km round-trip, with my average consumption that's just 20 liters of fuel, or €35 for one day. ?

Waar woont u in Nederland? Rijden 220 km per dag is veel voor een klein land. (My mother is Dutch, hence my question in Dutch)

Car is nice and detailed.
WP_20150529_13_01_10_Pro_zpsvptheahq.jpg

Got to test out the Stage 1 tune. Its unbelievable. From around 10 mph to a much larger number in the 3 digit range, happened before I had a chance to react. I launched it once, granted it was raining but all 4 tires broke loose, got traction, through my head back and hit 60 still before stock. Its incredible.
That is an awesome looking ride dude.

That is an awesome looking ride dude.

Thanks! After two months I still get excited when I know I'm going to be driving. With Stage 1, the thing pulls like there is no tomorrow. I picked up 83 ft-lbs of torque and it just throws you back into the seat. When I got back to work after picking it up I was shaking. Tomorrow it should be beautiful so after golf I'll get to launch it in much better conditions. Now to save up for stage 2 and eventually 3.

I'm a decent mechanic in a family of great mechanics, repair cost really isn't too much of an issue as long as there's no known major known issues to the model itself. When I say this car has a great service history, that's an understatement.

525? 2009 is the last of the naturally aspirated N52 6 cyl motors for this car, which last forever if maintained properly. If it's a manual transmission with the sport package even better although the suspension is probably due for some upgrades at this point. Plastic/rubber bits and sensors will fail at a certain time frame but if you aggressively replace parts before they cause other damage, you won't have any major surprises. Of course also keep on top of the normal maintenance and oil changes (which are easy with a top mounted oil filter and Mityvac).

Definitely get a PPI and have them pull codes and try to dig up any maintenance/receipts from previous owner and dealer - which sounds like it isn't an issue since you already know the car's history.

Parts available online at numerous sources. They really aren't that expensive, stock up parts when budget allows and do it yourself or find a good indy mechanic. I paid more for parts for my mom's Ford Escape and my old Chevy Tahoe then I have for BMW parts (on several I have owned over the last 15 years).

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Thanks! After two months I still get excited when I know I'm going to be driving. With Stage 1, the thing pulls like there is no tomorrow. I picked up 83 ft-lbs of torque and it just throws you back into the seat. When I got back to work after picking it up I was shaking. Tomorrow it should be beautiful so after golf I'll get to launch it in much better conditions. Now to save up for stage 2 and eventually 3.
What are these stages you speak of?

Back