The Car Shopping Thread

Thanks! Yup, it's certified. '13 with 24k on the odometer. So I've got the remainder of the 5yr/60k on the primary warranty then the full 10/100 on the powertrain.

I got the usual upsell on additional coverage that I declined, but the one thing I did do was pay to cover all the electronics up to 10/100 with no deductible. So power seats, windows, locks, steering, radio, bluetooth, etc are all covered up to the 10/100. I had the Saturn for nearly 10 years so I hope to keep this one just as long. The good thing is, with the price I got it at, it'll be completely paid off in less than 2 yrs and I'm paying a few more bucks per month than my neighbor who just started a 3 yr lease on a Mazda 6
Smart move on the electronics contract.

Nice wheels Russ

To Jrod or others "in the know". Last September we bought my wife a 2014 Equinox. At the time we bought it, it had roughly 600 miles on it. As it sat last night, there are roughly 16k miles on it. So she'll be topping or very close to 20k miles before having it a year. I know that's a lot of miles. Is there anything we should watch out for putting that many miles on a car a year? Should we look to dump in it a couple of years or is it too early to really know the over all "quality" of the build for this model year? We got the 4 cylinder base model.

Also another question. We will be looking to purchase me a new vehicle in a few years, would it be better to use any down payment we had to pay off any negative equity on her car and purchase 2 cars if the price is right? I'm sure my 1999 CR-V will have little to no trade in value by then to help off set the negative. We were in a pinch when we bought this car (even thought Equinox was very high on her list of cars) and just got what was on the lot. I'd like to get her something that she'll actually enjoy driving.

Looking for a daily driver for myself.. Not looking to pay over $9000. Doesn't have to have all of the bells and whistles. I am interested in Accord's and Acura TL's.

I previously had an 06 Accord and it was great, but I've always loved the TL's. Is it a reliable car? Is 100-120K too many miles for a used TL? Any big issues? Also, interested in the Acura MDX as well. Any issues with those? Looking at the 05-07 range for TL, MDX and Accords.

I can recommend the 05-09 TSX. Great car, fun to drive and very economical. Not sure of used car prices on them now, but they should be in your range. Good luck.

To Jrod or others "in the know". Last September we bought my wife a 2014 Equinox. At the time we bought it, it had roughly 600 miles on it. As it sat last night, there are roughly 16k miles on it. So she'll be topping or very close to 20k miles before having it a year. I know that's a lot of miles. Is there anything we should watch out for putting that many miles on a car a year? Should we look to dump in it a couple of years or is it too early to really know the over all "quality" of the build for this model year? We got the 4 cylinder base model.

Also another question. We will be looking to purchase me a new vehicle in a few years, would it be better to use any down payment we had to pay off any negative equity on her car and purchase 2 cars if the price is right? I'm sure my 1999 CR-V will have little to no trade in value by then to help off set the negative. We were in a pinch when we bought this car (even thought Equinox was very high on her list of cars) and just got what was on the lot. I'd like to get her something that she'll actually enjoy driving.

Can't help with two as unknown next to nothing about financials but the first part is easy.

Nothing is wrong with putting that many miles on a car every year I just cannot stress how important maintenance is.

Change the oil every 3750 miles even though it's synthetic . Oil life monitors are a joke and don't follow them. Flush the transmission every 30k even though they recommend 60k.

Other than that just take care of the vehicle and anything will last.

As I have stated 100 times here owning a car is pay me now or pay me later and later is a hell of a lot more expensive. A little now will save a fortune down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can recommend the 05-09 TSX. Great car, fun to drive and very economical. Not sure of used car prices on them now, but they should be in your range. Good luck.
Definitely another one I am interested in.

Can't help with two as unknown next to nothing about financials but the first part is easy.

Nothing is wrong with putting that many miles on a car every year I just cannot stress how important maintenance is.

Change the oil every 3750 miles even though it's synthetic . Oil life monitors are a joke and don't follow them. Flush the transmission every 30k even though they recommend 60k.

Other than that just take care of the vehicle and anything will last.

As I have stated 100 times here owning a car is pay me now or pay me later and later is a hell of a lot more expensive. A little now will save a fortune down the road.

Hmm.. I'll keep that in mind. We've been getting the oil changed closer to 5k miles, but I'll keep that in mind for the next time we do it.

Am I the one person that doesn't find it that expensive to own a German luxury vehicle?

I read it here and multiple car forums that if you can't afford maintenance on a BMW, don't buy one. I've personally found that I spend the same or even less on my BMW than I did on my Honda x2, Lexus and Subaru's x3. This is my second BMW and my family's 5th overall.

They are crazy easy to work on and oil changes myself is a no brainer.

My WRX was far more to maintain and my Lexus was right behind that.

I just don't get it

If you finance a new car, you need to keep it until you have equity. Rolling over negative equity is a mistake most people make. Eventually "Goldilocks has to meet the bear" and the negative equity must be paid. Whether it be in cash down or "drive it until it quits". That being said, if you have to "drive it til it quits", why not trade and get something you really like? I spent 30 yrs in the retail auto business and only made a profit on 1 personal vehicle. I have rolled negative equity and paid cash.

Maintenance is the key. A little spent now, will make it worth more later.

My wife's crv was delivered this afternoon, man that is the way to purchase a vehicle. He showed up this afternoon, we looked over the vehicle. Spent 10 minutes in our kitchen doing paperwork and he was gone. My wife loves her new car. uploadfromtaptalk1438380679916.jpguploadfromtaptalk1438381089129.jpg

Any thoughts or reviews on a 2008 VW Passat??

Am I the one person that doesn't find it that expensive to own a German luxury vehicle?

I read it here and multiple car forums that if you can't afford maintenance on a BMW, don't buy one. I've personally found that I spend the same or even less on my BMW than I did on my Honda x2, Lexus and Subaru's x3. This is my second BMW and my family's 5th overall.

I just don't get it

I'm with you on this! I used to have an '06 325i and it was peanuts to maintain. The most expensive thing was tires. They lasted a long time - upwards of 40k miles - but were not cheap at near $300 a pop. That said, the oil changes were ridiculously easy and, by factory, every 18k miles. Having the oil filter on top makes it a clean, 5 min affair. I didn't even need to use my ramps. Toss in the 50k mile free scheduled maintenance program too...

Now I have my eyes set on an M235i...I'm telling myself I can get away with the rear seat room with my two boys (4 & 8), whom are rarely in my car...

So I saw a 2016 Nissan Maxima in a golf course parking lot this weekend and now I NEED one. The only thing that scares me a little is the CVT. I know nothing about them, but they don't shift gears....? So the car accelerates like a golf cart?

So I saw a 2016 Nissan Maxima in a golf course parking lot this weekend and now I NEED one. The only thing that scares me a little is the CVT. I know nothing about them, but they don't shift gears....? So the car accelerates like a golf cart?

Yes, many of them now have false gears so it feels more "normal". They get better gas mileage, so they make sense in their other lines but I don't understand at all why they have been putting them in Maximas.

Yes, many of them now have false gears so it feels more "normal". They get better gas mileage, so they make sense in their other lines but I don't understand at all why they have been putting them in Maximas.
Sounds like voodoo to me.

I have one compliant, and only one, about my Mazda3...it's not fast enough. Since it's a stick shift, it's quick enough around town, but on the highway at speed, it's a dog. Having to down shift to pass somebody is getting old.

We had a 2002 Audi A4 that we put 70,000 miles on before selling in 2006 because our 3rd child arrived. All scheduled maintenance was included and the only thing we paid for was $320 on a brake job and new tires. We have a 2014 Audi A4 with 32,000 miles on it and haven't done anything to it other than change the oil. I believe that the German cars are all very reliable but certainly they can be very expensive if something big like a turbo or transmission needs repair or replacement. A buddy of mine replaced his transmission on his 335i at 165,000 miles and it was $5,800.

Sounds like voodoo to me.

I have one compliant, and only one, about my Mazda3...it's not fast enough. Since it's a stick shift, it's quick enough around town, but on the highway at speed, it's a dog. Having to down shift to pass somebody is getting old.

My wife's has one, its fine when tooling around but when you get on it it becomes a bit unsettling.

At 300 hp, I'm sure the Maxima will pass on the interstate just fine. And it certainly won't require a downshift.

We had a 2002 Audi A4 that we put 70,000 miles on before selling in 2006 because our 3rd child arrived. All scheduled maintenance was included and the only thing we paid for was $320 on a brake job and new tires. We have a 2014 Audi A4 with 32,000 miles on it and haven't done anything to it other than change the oil. I believe that the German cars are all very reliable but certainly they can be very expensive if something big like a turbo or transmission needs repair or replacement. A buddy of mine replaced his transmission on his 335i at 165,000 miles and it was $5,800.

I have 34K on my 328i, It hasn't had even the slightest hint of a problem. But I will have my fingers crossed once I'm out of warranty.

I just don't get it
I have a 1997 BMW Z3 with 137K miles. Had to replace clutch slave cylinder recently and center support bearing @ 125K miles. The only thing wrong now is the driver's seat bottom is cracked. Of course the top in down 90% of the time here in Florida.

I'm with you on this! I used to have an '06 325i and it was peanuts to maintain. The most expensive thing was tires. They lasted a long time - upwards of 40k miles - but were not cheap at near $300 a pop. That said, the oil changes were ridiculously easy and, by factory, every 18k miles. Having the oil filter on top makes it a clean, 5 min affair. I didn't even need to use my ramps. Toss in the 50k mile free scheduled maintenance program too...

Now I have my eyes set on an M235i...I'm telling myself I can get away with the rear seat room with my two boys (4 & 8), whom are rarely in my car...

I'd love a new M235i! They are good looking little cars and quick. The turbo I6 is an amazing engine IME.

The CVT in the Altimas I test drove were fantastic. Smooth as anything when accelerating. My father's had two Nissans with the CVT and said within a day or so, you're completely used to it.

The CVT in the Altimas I test drove were fantastic. Smooth as anything when accelerating. My father's had two Nissans with the CVT and said within a day or so, you're completely used to it.

I'm sure this would be the case for me too.

I'm sure this would be the case for me too.

I test drove the 2016 Maxima extensively. I found the CVT to be awful, especially compared to other brands' CVTs I've driven. It was loud and droned like crazy, felt like it was stuck in first the whole time. It had no artificial shift feels like other CVTs ive tried. Wasn't a fan, but damn if the car isn't one of the nicest sedans inside and out.

Back