The Car Shopping Thread

Isn't that the standard Hyundai warranty?

Yes, but it's non-transferable. Same with Kia unfortunately. So paying to go CPO gets the additional 4 yrs/40,000 mi on the power train, plus 10 yrs unlimited miles roadside assistance, lockout help, trip interruption, etc. Yes I get a bunch of that already with AAA, but I'd like as much coverage as possible since I tend to hold onto cars for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but it's non-transferable. Same with Kia unfortunately. So paying to go CPO gets the additional 4 yrs/40,000 mi on the power train, plus 10 yrs unlimited miles roadside assistance, lockout help, trip interruption, etc. Yes I get a bunch of that already with AAA, but I'd like as much coverage as possible since I tend to hold onto cars for a long time.

Usually worth it if you plan on keeping it. Good luck negotiating. Remember that they are not bad guys. Everyone has to make a profit to stay in business.

Usually worth it if you plan on keeping it. Good luck negotiating. Remember that they are not bad guys. Everyone has to make a profit to stay in business.

Thanks! And I absolutely agree on the negotiating, having been in sales for the last 18 years myself. I did some more research last night and found another 2013 with the same package but 10k less miles, so I'm going to take a peek at that one as well. So far everyone I've spoken to while researching has been very helpful and professional. I think the Internet has a lot to do with that, when we bought my wife's car 9 years ago we had a terrible experience with the finance manager that I don't think would happen today with all the online reviews one can easily pull up.

You know it's funny you mention Allstate. I just had a water pump job on a Chrysler Aspen where they wouldn't cover the thermostat even though you HAD TO change it with the water pump. They also didn't cover the radiator cap or the coolant flush that was required. Willing to risk a customers vehicle over a 9 dollar thermostat and a 6 dollar radiator cap. This was a contract the customer paid close to 2300$ for.

I'm not saying there aren't good options out there but generally speaking I've had terrible dealings with warranty companies unless they are sold through the manufacturer, not the dealership.
Most service contract companies do not pay for fluids or sales tax. Don't remember about thermostats or caps. And most have a surcharge for gaskets and seals unless in relation to a covered part. And a warped head is almost never covered. Overheating is usually driver error.

The wife is actually considering a Prius now. Love the gas mileage but they're kinda ugly IMO. I'll probably end up driving it in the nicer weather since I have a much longer commute.

The wife is actually considering a Prius now. Love the gas mileage but they're kinda ugly IMO. I'll probably end up driving it in the nicer weather since I have a much longer commute.

They are a ton better than they used to be but yah they're pretty fugly.

Love reading this thread and watching what everyone is looking at. Can't wait to go car shopping after all the wedding/honeymoon stuff is done. The VW Jetta TDI is calling my name..... Although I will admit I like the looks of the new 2016 Chevy Malibu a lot.... but after all the issues I've had with my 2009 Malibu....I'm extremely weary of buying a Chevy ever again.

You know it's funny you mention Allstate. I just had a water pump job on a Chrysler Aspen where they wouldn't cover the thermostat even though you HAD TO change it with the water pump. They also didn't cover the radiator cap or the coolant flush that was required. Willing to risk a customers vehicle over a 9 dollar thermostat and a 6 dollar radiator cap. This was a contract the customer paid close to 2300$ for.

I'm not saying there aren't good options out there but generally speaking I've had terrible dealings with warranty companies unless they are sold through the manufacturer, not the dealership.

I have to say, hearing that isn't giving me warm fuzzies after just buying a new Equinox and paying an unbelievable price for the extended warranty so we didn't run into the same problems we had with our Commander. Outside of a major repair, do you feel the warranty plans are worth what you pay for them? Just wondering for a future purchase.

Love reading this thread and watching what everyone is looking at. Can't wait to go car shopping after all the wedding/honeymoon stuff is done. The VW Jetta TDI is calling my name..... Although I will admit I like the looks of the new 2016 Chevy Malibu a lot.... but after all the issues I've had with my 2009 Malibu....I'm extremely weary of buying a Chevy ever again.

The new Malibu's are purdy. If I didn't want a truck I'd consider a Malibu.

Do you have any experience with the Mechanical Protection Plan (MPP) warranty company?

I recently got an extended warranty on my 2010 Camaro SS (5yr/60,000) and it's through MPP. I've only found a handful of reviews and they all were positive with the exception of one.

I have to say, hearing that isn't giving me warm fuzzies after just buying a new Equinox and paying an unbelievable price for the extended warranty so we didn't run into the same problems we had with our Commander. Outside of a major repair, do you feel the warranty plans are worth what you pay for them? Just wondering for a future purchase.

The new Malibu's are purdy. If I didn't want a truck I'd consider a Malibu.
Depending on the service contract, I used to retail them for $600-1500. Customers would say, "I bought one and never used it". My response was, "got life insurance? Made you didn't use it?" A service contract is basically an insurance policy. You are betting something will break, they are betting it won't. If you can afford repairs, no, don't get one. If you trade frequently, don't get one.

Do you have any experience with the Mechanical Protection Plan (MPP) warranty company?

I recently got an extended warranty on my 2010 Camaro SS (5yr/60,000) and it's through MPP. I've only found a handful of reviews and they all were positive with the exception of one.
Just looked at MPP website. It states that it is not covered in some states. I would contact a local repair facility or dealership and check. It is cancellable, but if it was financed, the refund will go directly to the financial institution.

MPP looked good, but didn't give insurance company that was backing it and was only sold in a few states

My wife is now dying for a CRV touring in Kona Coffee

She has good taste. :act-up:

I think we will get one tomorrow, was prepared to walk out with one tonight but dealership wouldn't meet my price. I've sent in internet leads to all of the local ones that have the color and trim she wants, and will go to the one tomorrow with the best price.

I took a closer look at a jetta last week when I was at my vw dealer. I'm a fan of the platinum grey they offer.

I took a closer look at a jetta last week when I was at my vw dealer. I'm a fan of the platinum grey they offer.

My wife's Jetta is platinum grey.

Wanna buy an 09 with 113k miles?

Platinum Gray TDI with Connectivity is what I have my eye on Handles great and the features are wonderful...and the gas mileage doesn't hurt one bit! Gotta grab the extended warranty though. Saved my brother quite a few bucks on repairs on his 2010.

Platinum Gray TDI with Connectivity is what I have my eye on Handles great and the features are wonderful...and the gas mileage doesn't hurt one bit! Gotta grab the extended warranty though. Saved my brother quite a few bucks on repairs on his 2010.

A good buddy of mine just took delivery on a Platinum grey Passat TDI and it's a great looking car!

A good buddy of mine just took delivery on a Platinum grey Passat TDI and it's a great looking car!
Yeah Passat is nice, but a tad out of my price range. Super fun to drive though!

I just saw today that VW has overtaken Toyota for car sales in the world for 2015. They're up like 8% in US sales compared to their 2014 sales from what I remember reading.

This cracks me up.....

BKJtvNqCEAEuPbq.jpg

Vw took the title of most cars sold from Toyota recently I believe.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yes, Volkswagen outsold Toyota to start 2015, but sales for the company were down 0.5% overall.

Heading out today to test drive another 2013 Sonata, then it's decision time.

This cracks me up.....

BKJtvNqCEAEuPbq.jpg

This picture is so true! I had a 2005 Passat and it was nothing but trouble. After the 8th time in the shop in 4 months with yet another $800 problem that the warranty of course didn't cover I was done. I took that hunk of junk to a dealership and left with a different car.

Back