The Car Shopping Thread

Need another (new to us) car, and the wife wants an SUV. We currently have one 2012 Kia Sorrento, and really like it. Looking at another 2012 Sorrento, or the wife has said she actually likes the 2009 Mazda CX-5 or 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. We can get those for basically nothing (once the insurance pays out), but they're higher mileage (Sorrento is 36k, the other two are in the 90k range). Anyone have experience with the CX-5 or Santa Fe?

I bought a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring in November after some thorough research of the smaller SUV segment and it was pretty unanimous that it was the best all around vehicle in the segment. I absolutely love mine.

We have a newer CX5 and we have liked it so far. Pretty good gas mileage for a 4 wheel drive SUV.

Yeah I would expect mileage to go up as the car breaks in. It's a good looking car, I hope you love it.

Yah people say cars don't break in anymore which is total bs.

My tundra gained about 5 mpg in the city after roughly 1000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My parents are on their second Santa Fe. It has treated them very well - this one has over 125,000 miles and is about 10 years old. Similar in size and class we also like our Ford Escape (our second).

Yah people say cars don't break in anymore which is total bs.

My tundra gained about 5 mpg in the city after roughly 1000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, mine went up after the first 2k or so. It doesn't matter what car forum you go to, break in is a big debate. I will continue to follow break in instructions.

Let me just say that I hate everything about buying a car ... and that feeling is amplified when buying used.

deuce: PMmed you.

I might go for a summer car with my buddy...a -91 Chevy Pick-Up, but as for my normal car...I've got negotiations going for a Audi A5 Sportback...I'm happy with my current car...but that 4 door coupé is just so pretty. It's used, but a lot of nice extras and the same engine as my current, but the car itself is lighter, so it's 6.6s 0-60MPH, and the trunk is supposed to fit at least two golf bags!

Went up to the Knoxville Auto Show today to poke around what the dealers bring in to display.

I may still be a few months from buying something, but I think my "to drive" list is down to the following 2015s - Subaru Legacy (Limited with Eyesight), Honda Accord (EX-L w/ Navi), Mazda 6 (Grand Touring), and maybe a Subaru Outback (Limited with Eyesight). I got to sit in and feel the Accord, 6 and Outback but they didn't have a Legacy in there.

I can't wait to step up to something designed to run longer than the two Hyundai's I have owned (decent cars for the first 100K miles, but there is a reason that the warranty is 60K/100K).

Well I caved. Pulling the trigger today. Agreed on the price.

W164 MB ML 550 with all the extras and 20's as an upgrade. Man does this bird fly. It boogies and hauls serious butt.

I'll post pics once the deal closes.

attachment.php

11050996_10153073485088119_1258189821_n.jpg

So much better looking than the current W166 generation IMO.

So much better looking than the current W166 generation IMO.
I agree 100%. W166 does not do it for me at all. That's why I jumped on a W164 once I found one in show room condition.

I agree 100%. W166 does not do it for me at all. That's why I jumped on a W164 once I found one in show room condition.

I understand why they did it with the introduction of the GLK, but the size increase did not transform well.

I've been looking at the Golf R for the last couple on months and now that it is available and reading even more reviews, I want one badly. I'm going to the Minneapolis car show this weekend to look. My plan was to get a new car around September but depending on how well I save, maybe mid summer. I figure around the end of April I'll start looking at dealerships. I have a few other cars in my mind but I am leaning hard towards the R.

I've been looking at the Golf R for the last couple on months and now that it is available and reading even more reviews, I want one badly. I'm going to the Minneapolis car show this weekend to look. My plan was to get a new car around September but depending on how well I save, maybe mid summer. I figure around the end of April I'll start looking at dealerships. I have a few other cars in my mind but I am leaning hard towards the R.

If it's anything like here in Canada, I wouldn't wait too long if you want it before the end of 2015. My friend works for Volkswagen here and says that most pre-orders are filled until Fall. May be different in the States though.

I'm extremely jealous BTW haha.

What a pain. Spent 10 hours looking yesterday. Wife's car blew up on Saturday and we had to have something pretty quick. While we both have stellar credit, the restrictions placed on us by affordability and terms of our (1st) loan made it a nightmare to find anything. So after about 1/2 a day we wound up going to get a 2nd pre qualified loan at a Credit Union. A couple of more hours and three more dealerships we found a couple of SUV's that would work. A 2009 Ford Escape with 63K miles and finally settled on a 2007 Hyundai Tucson V6 with AWD. I know 2007? but as we pulled into the dealer, the Jeep we wanted to look at was sold and the salesman asked us to hold on as he had an idea. Turns out a little old lady from Sun City, AZ traded it in literally minutes before we got on the lot. She bought it new from the same dealer we were sitting at, and had it serviced like clockwork at the dealer. Best part? The car only has 37,000 miles. So, while certainly not flashy, it is safe, affordable and has over 100K less miles than her old one.

I'm really drooling over the Golf R as well. It's definitely on my short list and I hope they have it at our car show next week. The other one I'm really liking is the Audi S3. I think a small car with that engine, dual clutch and AWD would just be an absolute blast to drive.

I'm really drooling over the Golf R as well. It's definitely on my short list and I hope they have it at our car show next week. The other one I'm really liking is the Audi S3. I think a small car with that engine, dual clutch and AWD would just be an absolute blast to drive.

I'm biased, but if you are interested in the S3, take a look at the CLA45 AMG. It is a bit more than the S3, but about 60HP more with dual clutch and AWD.

Everyone will be different, but for me without question the Golf R. Weight is almost identical, only R offers manual (at a discount btw), same engine, but S3 starts at what ~$3000 higher and the back seat is horrible if you plan on taking anyone. Sat in the A3 and at 6', it was a squeeze for leg room.

I think the S3 looks 10 times better, but from a practicality side and on the wallet, the R would be tough to pass on.

If it's anything like here in Canada, I wouldn't wait too long if you want it before the end of 2015. My friend works for Volkswagen here and says that most pre-orders are filled until Fall. May be different in the States though.

I'm extremely jealous BTW haha.

The dealership by me has 3 in stock. Believe me if I could swing it now I would. If it does become hard to find mid year, I could wait if the R400 comes to the US.

The dealership by me has 3 in stock. Believe me if I could swing it now I would. If it does become hard to find mid year, I could wait if the R400 comes to the US.

MRK6 R? MRK7 Golf R's don't even deliver until Mid-Late Summer I though?

Had to replace my Saab 9-3 that was totaled about 3 weeks ago. Ended up w/ a new 2014 Mitsubishi Outlander SE. It's nothing fancy, but it's a great to & from work vehicle. It's got nav, seat heaters, etc..., but the best things about it are MPGs & price. I got it for just under $23K & have been averaging just over 28MPG on my drive to and from work.

While I was at the dealer, I told them if they could find exactly what I was looking for, I'd by 2 vehicles from them the same day. They worked their dealer connections and found me the vehicle, so I replaced my wife's car too. Got a loaded Nissan Pathfinder SL w/ really low mileage for $28K.

They delivered sometime in February.

My apologies, I see now that you guys in the US get it as a 2015 model, where in Canada we don't get it until the 2016 models ship.

Does anyone have any experience or info on lease brokers? My lease is up in Sept. so I'm starting to look. I have seen some incredible prices on Swap-a-lease but know there has to be some fine print somewhere. Any info is appreciated..thx

Back