The Grandaddy will Return in 2022

Ohhh last thing I want to add that has been brought up before. This is team specific and not necessarily Captain specific.

The GD isn't the only event on the forum. Be engaged and present during as many live threads for other events during the year as possible. If you support others, you make it a heck of a lot easier for others to support you! Don't take for granted that just because you're in the GD that everyone will follow. They most likely will, but don't assume anything. Support THP and like they showed for the 2021 thread, they'll support you back with site breaking enthusiasm!

@dacatalyst41 and @KEV are the nicer version of @JDax and @e1iterate. Can you imagine asking them to captain a rivalry experience? They would probably send each other flowers once a week!

Love both of those guys. Can’t wait to see who the worthy captain is. Lots of good ones at THP.

Here's my bit of advice and it's from a different perspective since my journey was a bit different this year. In no way should this be considered "instructions", just advice from my limited experience. It's been an honor and a privilege to be a part of this event twice and I WILL NEVER forget every one of those moments along the way.

To the incoming Captain and AssCap:

1. There is a right way to do The Grandaddy, but it still has to be your way. Make it your own. We've had great teams that have come before you, but none of them have your DNA. Find your mission and build the culture of your team around it from Day 1. It will pay you dividends in the end.
2. Sync up from the beginning on your ideas, delivery, support structure, preference, and everything. Seems minor, but communication in the beginning eliminates miscommunication in the end. Have check-ins along the way to stay on the same page.
3. Lead by example. This is one of the things @MattyD-MPLS embodied for the last two years. Everything he wanted FROM our team is what he was FOR our team day in and day out.
4. Remember what it's all about. You're embarking on a journey few have enjoyed and many have envied. It's a privilege beyond description. No one will remember how well you played. They will remember how well you connected with your team, Callaway, and the forum. Once you're chosen, you become ambassadors and you represent something bigger.
5. HAVE FUN! This should be the easiest part, but it isn't always. You have to be intentional. Life will happen during the leadup to December....and not just for you. Life will happen for your entire team. Find ways to keep the fun building and you'll be building something special.
6. Close the gaps. You'll have a fun mix of personalities. Some introverted. Some extroverted. Some crazy. Some EXTRA crazy. Make sure everyone feels included and reach out individually as necessary when someone feels distant or unplugged. That one phone call could make a world of difference.
7. Gratitude. This event thrives on it. There's a mutual appreciation that is enhanced when gratitude is flowing from your team. Remind the team that this is more than equipment and free golf as often as necessary. Drive it home until it lives in their thoughts and feelings about that "G".
8. Connect with the forum throughout the year and find ways to let them become familiar with the team. Do it your way, but it helps a ton. Do it as a team!
9. Make it fun for Callaway! This event continues to live on because of the people behind the brand. Find out why. Find out who they are, what drives and them and what they are about. Have a TON of laughs and even a few tears if it happens that way.
10. Rep the G! It's a once (slim chance at twice) in a lifetime deal, guys! If you're selected, where it proudly. The world-renowned legend and urban poet Eminem said it like this...

You better lose yourself in the music (event) the moment
You own it, you better never let it go
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
This opportunity comes once in a lifetime
Long live the Grandaddy!
I have said it before but you guys all killed it this past event. I had not kept up with the others but the info and excitement from the whole crew was awesome. That comes from their excitement but also through leadership. Good job by @MattyD-MPLS

What a whirlwind of a few days this has been working on selecting one out of literally TONS of THPers that could lead this team in 2022.

We are getting close.
@Wildcat4life

#pullingforyou

@dacatalyst41 and @KEV are the nicer version of @JDax and @e1iterate. Can you imagine asking them to captain a rivalry experience? They would probably send each other flowers once a week!

Love both of those guys. Can’t wait to see who the worthy captain is. Lots of good ones at THP.
I mean if @KEV gets selected as AssCap, might as well pack your rain gear. Heck, you might even want to bring your snow gear...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I’ve throat punched Kev before but we like to keep it civil online. Besides, he’s suffering enough in Antarctica right now.

What a whirlwind of a few days this has been working on selecting one out of literally TONS of THPers that could lead this team in 2022.

We are getting close.
All the excitement of the Golden Ticket sort of overshadowed this huge piece of news. Good to see this back on the front page :)

I feel personally attacked here, and I’m sure Chip would have my back on this!
Everyone knows when they attack you they’re attacking Chip. 🤣

I’m so excited to see who gets to lead the next Grandaddy journey! I hope I haven’t offended you with recent comments in this thread 😬! There has already been a ton of great advice offered, so now I will add to it with mostly random somewhat rambling thoughts. Gratitude is the Grandaddy currency. That’s my favorite piece of advice and it’s so true. Let your excitement show, this is an event so ridiculous most people don’t believe me when I tell them about it. My cheeks hurt from jaw dropping moments and smiling and laughing the entire time (seriously, the entire time). Listening to the advice of past Grandaddy Captains, AssCaps, and participants is a fantastic idea, but it’s not the only thing. Do it your own way and make the team your own. Get your team members involved and engaged and the forum will follow you! This year’s team has multiple guys in each Rogue ST driver head. We’re all different and every Grandaddy journey is unique. Make it your own and have a freaking fantastic time because there’s no other way to do it!!!

The people, the brand, the equipment, the Hideaway, ECPC, the bus rides, the Nest, maybe even a Sunday Squad. There are so many elements that make the Grandaddy special and a lucky THPer is soon going to get their name called to lead a group through all of it!!!

I’ve throat punched Kev before but we like to keep it civil online. Besides, he’s suffering enough in Antarctica right now.
I could feel the love in the punch though so I knew we were all good.

I know you have only been to this single THP Experience, but lets just say average weight for THPers in our events is slightly higher than that.

Looking forward to see who gets that call! Lots and lots of great advice to follow here for all events and life in general!

It's almost time!

I guess I can add some stuff to be cognizant of if your name gets called to be a part of this. And I'll try to make a few different points than other teammates and alumni have already said

-Get invested. If you're selected as captain, I'm sure you're a presence here already on the forum. But get the team on the same page as well. It's so much easier to be behind a team that you can get to know before the event. Cap and Ass Cap had us all on the same page the second anyone joined the team.

-Don't be afraid to show your face and personality on the forum. It's one reason I wanted to do the "Get to Know" you videos. It's easy to see a face in a picture and not know who it is, especially during the Grandaddy when taking pictures and taking the time to tag everyone isn't easy. But it's really cool when you see someone you "Know" in a picture already. A lot easier to root for someone you "know". This plays hand in hand with my point above with get invested.

-Even though everyone has said it, I have to say it since it may be the single most important part. This is about the people. The relationships that should be impossible. Do everything you can, whenever you can, to make sure that you are present as much as possible. This means the dinner at Callaway HQ, the morning at ECPC, the Bus, dinners in La Quinta (whether that's at AL's or dinner out), and even the Nest. I think I'll regret leaving there early forever. The Callaway team is special. Your team is special. The PEOPLE are special. Take it all in with them.

-This next one is a "do as I say, not what I do" kind of thing. And I know it's way easier to say than it is to do but I have to try to get it across. It's not about the competition. Once the competition was rolling for us and how close it was, I got wrapped up in it. I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted, I didn't converse as much as I wanted. Hell, I haven't even started reading singles day in our thread because I let that day get to me way too much while I was out there. I didn't talk to Ethan, Wunder and Dr. Cody as much as I should have that day. Don't get sucked up in the competition. You'll most likely never be back. Make it count with everyone.

-And the last thing is something @dacatalyst41 made clear to us from the start (since he's been there before). Gratitude is the currency of the Grandaddy. Give it and you'll get back way more than you expect. Gratitude to Callaway, gratitude to your team, gratitude to THP. Be grateful, be kind and rep the G like it deserves. There are countless people who want to be able to experience what you are able to. Make sure you do everything you can to make sure it comes back.

I know no one asked me but hopefully I can help someone even a little bit. I know I'm wide open and available for anything you want to ask.
@Muchmore18 you said it so well on so many levels, and more importantly you walked the walk during the Grandaddy. Don't have regret about singles day, just use that lesson learned for other opportunities, whether in golf or in life, and see where it can take you. I know what you said about single day has had an impact on me, so it's already being used for positive. We all have things we wish we could change, but don't let singles day bring you down, let it lift you up to higher heights in the future!

And your last paragraph on gratitude, so true. I remember someone, from the Zoo Crew, saying that it seemed like every down moment someone was getting up and giving a speech, giving a gift, or just showing appreciation. Really says something when the other guys take notice to how much gratitude the team THP has for each other, Callaway, the Grandaddy, the forum, and everyone else involved.

some really great advice in this thread.

i 100% agree that the team needs to be YOUR team. the year needs to be YOUR year. and doing the event the right way is something you need to define for yourself.

that said, don't hesitate to lean on some previous participants who left a legacy that resonates with you. read back through the old live threads. the more you read, the more someone's style will stick out to you. reach out to that person and pick their brain.

i think about the grandaddy just about every day. and it was over 2 years ago. i don't imagine that will change any time soon, maybe ever. so something that is incredibly profound and special should be respected for what it is. and the best way you can respect it is to embrace what it is, do it the right way, and bring the forum with you every step of your journey before, during and after.

It's almost time!

I guess I can add some stuff to be cognizant of if your name gets called to be a part of this. And I'll try to make a few different points than other teammates and alumni have already said

-Get invested. If you're selected as captain, I'm sure you're a presence here already on the forum. But get the team on the same page as well. It's so much easier to be behind a team that you can get to know before the event. Cap and Ass Cap had us all on the same page the second anyone joined the team.

-Don't be afraid to show your face and personality on the forum. It's one reason I wanted to do the "Get to Know" you videos. It's easy to see a face in a picture and not know who it is, especially during the Grandaddy when taking pictures and taking the time to tag everyone isn't easy. But it's really cool when you see someone you "Know" in a picture already. A lot easier to root for someone you "know". This plays hand in hand with my point above with get invested.

-Even though everyone has said it, I have to say it since it may be the single most important part. This is about the people. The relationships that should be impossible. Do everything you can, whenever you can, to make sure that you are present as much as possible. This means the dinner at Callaway HQ, the morning at ECPC, the Bus, dinners in La Quinta (whether that's at AL's or dinner out), and even the Nest. I think I'll regret leaving there early forever. The Callaway team is special. Your team is special. The PEOPLE are special. Take it all in with them.

-This next one is a "do as I say, not what I do" kind of thing. And I know it's way easier to say than it is to do but I have to try to get it across. It's not about the competition. Once the competition was rolling for us and how close it was, I got wrapped up in it. I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted, I didn't converse as much as I wanted. Hell, I haven't even started reading singles day in our thread because I let that day get to me way too much while I was out there. I didn't talk to Ethan, Wunder and Dr. Cody as much as I should have that day. Don't get sucked up in the competition. You'll most likely never be back. Make it count with everyone.

-And the last thing is something @dacatalyst41 made clear to us from the start (since he's been there before). Gratitude is the currency of the Grandaddy. Give it and you'll get back way more than you expect. Gratitude to Callaway, gratitude to your team, gratitude to THP. Be grateful, be kind and rep the G like it deserves. There are countless people who want to be able to experience what you are able to. Make sure you do everything you can to make sure it comes back.

I know no one asked me but hopefully I can help someone even a little bit. I know I'm wide open and available for anything you want to ask.
Very well said. I said this when I met you in Montana last year before the event, you get it and understand what it is about. You have been a wonderful ambassador to the G.

I feel personally attacked here, and I’m sure Chip would have my back on this!
Hahha. Not you of course, you are svelt.

some really great advice in this thread.

i 100% agree that the team needs to be YOUR team. the year needs to be YOUR year. and doing the event the right way is something you need to define for yourself.

that said, don't hesitate to lean on some previous participants who left a legacy that resonates with you. read back through the old live threads. the more you read, the more someone's style will stick out to you. reach out to that person and pick their brain.

i think about the grandaddy just about every day. and it was over 2 years ago. i don't imagine that will change any time soon, maybe ever. so something that is incredibly profound and special should be respected for what it is. and the best way you can respect it is to embrace what it is, do it the right way, and bring the forum with you every step of your journey before, during and after.
This for sure! Anytime I see someone that I haven't seen since the GDaddy, they ask me about it. Heck someone called me out of the blue yesterday to see if it was really real!

I love everytime someone asks me because I get to talk about THP, my teammates and Callaway!

Tevenor's 10 guidelines for future Grandaddy participants

10) No seriously. Don't forget the sunscreen and lip balm. Probably the most important thing.
What a great and thoughtful list. Should probably be printed and laminated and given to those fortunate enough to be selected in the future whether it be this year or ten years from now. This list will withstand the test of time. And as to Number 10 i learned that lesson on my groups first Scottsdale trip years ago. After that we all carried lip balm/chapstick ( the kind that had sunscreen in it) . Absolutely a must. Thanks for a great post.

This for sure! Anytime I see someone that I haven't seen since the GDaddy, they ask me about it. Heck someone called me out of the blue yesterday to see if it was really real!

I love everytime someone asks me because I get to talk about THP, my teammates and Callaway!
It is always fun to have someone ask about the G on the bag and then get to tell the story. Jaws drop in disbelief. It will never get old telling the story, just as the memories will never get old.

Back