The HIO You Don’t Want

There is no such thing as a HOI you don't want!
Well maybe if your not supposed to be there but other than that I will take one no matter how pretty or Ugly.

Dad always says it’s the score not his you there.

I’d love an ugly HOI the story would make it all the more fun. Memorable.

I would have lost a bet if one was placed. As good as Dan is...I just figured it was a forgone conclusion that he had at least one. I will return to the hole I crawled out of.
Lol, I was joking!

I’ll take one any way I can get it.

It just came to my mind as I was walking to the green haha. I’ll take it whatever way I possibly can for my first one, but there’s always that tiny piece saying “make it a juicy flush shot” haha
This.
I'll take it but rather it be on a good shot.
@e1iterate can confirm that I almost had an HIO during his member guest last year off an awful shot on a par 3.

Ever hit a ball on a par three that is a total stinker and let somehow it still tracks toward the hole? Ever wish a ball out of the hole because of a bad swing?

I had one today. Clubbed up big time in the wind and hit a total stinker that was a fatty toe ball, which happened to knock off all the spin and it sailed toward the pin the whole way. As soon as my brain did the math on direction I stopped my noises on the bad strike hahaha

View attachment 9252855
THP SEC Regional Rivalry. 11th hole, par 3. Totally thinned a 7 iron that might have got 9 feet off the ground, going straight at the flag. Figured it was going way over the back. Landed just right of the flag and danced around the hole a couple different directions. Ended up being about a foot from the hole. Not a hio, but about the same as yours.

It's how many not how did it look.

I feel like more HIO’s happen off bad shots than perfectly executed shots anyway, so nah I would not wish it to not happen after a bad swing lol.

I was always afraid my first would be a thinny skank. Fortunately, it wasn’t.
… Mine was thinny. Not skanky, but definitely landed on the front third of the green and rolled.

I was always afraid my first would be a thinny skank. Fortunately, it wasn’t.
I'm totally ok with hitting a ground ball, or one that bounces off a tree 50 yards right of the green. Since I don't have one, I'm not going to be picky.

Starting to think there's a HIO curse going on. Lot of you guys I assumed have them don't.

Hole in ones aren't like no hitters are they?

Golf screws you enough that I honestly don’t care if theres luck occasionally.

We get so many bad breaks from good shots I’m ok with good results with a bad shot lol

Ever hit a ball on a par three that is a total stinker and let somehow it still tracks toward the hole? Ever wish a ball out of the hole because of a bad swing?

I had one today. Clubbed up big time in the wind and hit a total stinker that was a fatty toe ball, which happened to knock off all the spin and it sailed toward the pin the whole way. As soon as my brain did the math on direction I stopped my noises on the bad strike hahaha

View attachment 9252855
How many times have you hit it perfectly but got a bad bounce and went in the water or in a bunker? That stinker was just making up for some of the bad breaks you’ve gotten. I did something similar on an early spring day. I hit a terrible shot that landed, and skipped on the still frozen pond onto the green where I sank a putt for a birdie.

This.
I'll take it but rather it be on a good shot.
@e1iterate can confirm that I almost had an HIO during his member guest last year off an awful shot on a par 3.
No pictures on the scorecard my friend!

Yeah, I’ll join the chorus to say I won’t care. Skipoff the lake, hit a tree, and then skip along the cart path for all I care.

Mine had a right side pin and I was trying to draw it towards the middle, my stock shot. Left the face open a little bit and it moved the other way. I will always know that wasn’t the shot I was trying to hit

It just came to my mind as I was walking to the green haha. I’ll take it whatever way I possibly can for my first one, but there’s always that tiny piece saying “make it a juicy flush shot” haha
My first hole in one came off a thin, toe-y shot that I wasn't happy with when I hit it - until it took a good bounce and rolled into the hole. My second hole in one was a beauty right from the start. I felt a lot better about the second one, but they were both a '1' on the scorecard!

I’m too distracted by “HOI” 😂

“the sister-in-law”

I wouldn’t care if that was my first HIO. Still counts.

My first HIO was that way. I probably over-clubbed, thinned it, the ball never getting higher than the flag stick. The pin was at the back of the green, over a ridge. The ball hit on the front of the green, rolling toward the pin. Not able to see the bottom of the pin, we looked for the ball long, until one of the guys happened to look in the hole itself. There was my ball! Being my first HIO, I was somewhat shaking and almost missed the ball on my tee shot on the next hole!

Back