The Home Theater Thread

Yeah, bulbs will set you back a couple of hundred dollars each time and up to double that for certain ones.
For us, its a dedicated theater room, as I am not sure I would do a front PJ as the main living room TV.

That's what I was thinking. Right now, I don't have a true Theatre Room, and the "Man Cave" in the basement, isn't much of a Man Cave at this point, plus my area down there is not ideal for projection. I have a 55" downstairs and that's about ideal for that area/size.

My living room would work well, however with the vaulted ceilings I'm not sure the sound with a proper setup would work correctly.

I have a home theater in my family room which has 18' vaulted ceiling and is open to the kitchen on one partial side. It still sounds great. Key is the quality of the equipment-power in particular. It doesn't have to be very expensive overall. Very important is the quality and power of your receiver/amplifier. You need a lot of clean power to provide volume with clarity. That is really important. With a vaulted ceiling, you really benefit from clarity at the source since the room works against you with echo. Next important is the location of the surrounds. They need to be located pointing at your listening location either from the side or above. Surround sound is the most "lost" to a big room and vaulted ceilings. Next is the speakers, but the quality of subwoofer is the most important. Good clean base is important for a big room.

For incredible quality at an equally incredibly reasonable price, check these speakers out. Can't be beat at anywhere near their price range. Good enough for any normal room.

http://stereomojo.com/HSU HB1 Mk2 Speaker Review/HSUHB1Mk2SpeakerReview.htm

I'm in the market for a 65-70" to replace a sony 55" DLP-type projector tv. I haven't bought a tv in a few years, the last one was a 50" Pany plasma for our basement, love it.

The room it'll be in is fairly bright so I need a screen what won't reflect and will be able to keep up with the brightness levels I need. I don't see the need on our end for a 3D tv and I'm not really up to speed on the benefits of the newer Smart tvs. School me on the newer stuff and advantages. Suggestions please?

The Vizio E series TVs are hard to beat if you don't need 3D and are looking for the best bang for you buck. I just bought a 55 inch Vizio for our bedroom for $700 and the picture quality is nearly identical to my $2,000 Samsung 60" LED. Neither match the black levels or overall picture quality of my Panasonic 65" V series plasma but they are extinct now that Panasonic stopped making them. If it's brightness you're looking for the LED TVs are the way to go.

I'm in the market for a 65-70" to replace a sony 55" DLP-type projector tv. I haven't bought a tv in a few years, the last one was a 50" Pany plasma for our basement, love it.

The room it'll be in is fairly bright so I need a screen what won't reflect and will be able to keep up with the brightness levels I need. I don't see the need on our end for a 3D tv and I'm not really up to speed on the benefits of the newer Smart tvs. School me on the newer stuff and advantages. Suggestions please?

LED TVs are very good in well-lit environments. I would stay away from plasma. Plasma has the best picture capabilities for the money, but they use glass screens; lots of glare depending on the angle of the lights. Smart TVs aren't necessary, but can be quite handy. I have a vudu and an amazon prime membership and it's pretty nice to be able to stream endless movies and tv shows right from the tv.

I'm cheap when it comes to this stuff. I have a Toshiba flat screen HD TV with a LG surround sound system using Direct TV. This is in my room. My wife and I watch zero TV together. We both have our own TV rooms.

If I did this there wouldn't be very many things left that we do together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you guys ever need help with anything regarding HT then please let me know, I have spent my whole working career in this industry. The UK market is a bit different, but the technology is the same! Holla if you need some advice, I get to hear all the new gear and play with most of the tech out there

If you guys ever need help with anything regarding HT then please let me know, I have spent my whole working career in this industry. The UK market is a bit different, but the technology is the same! Holla if you need some advice, I get to hear all the new gear and play with most of the tech out there

Want to trade Golf Clubs for Home Theater Gear? I kid I kid.

Want to trade Golf Clubs for Home Theater Gear? I kid I kid.
I would snap your hand off to have a job in the golf industry!

Picked up a 70" flat screen and will add two 39" flat screens this week.
The plan is the 70" on the bottom and each of the smaller screens above it.

My SRS is just a 5.1 Harman Kardon HTIB with an upgraded Polk Audio center-channel. TV is 70" Sharp.

Suits my needs but it's in our living room/family room. If I had a dedicated space for entertainment, I'd certainly look to upgrade.

6540b269c3fd4d9da81a4b2c8a90b2be.jpg

Here is the new layout of the main wall.

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-10%20at%2010.12.43%20AM-L.png

What'd you get for a 70"?

Here is the new layout of the main wall.

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-10%20at%2010.12.43%20AM-L.png
That will be a nice setup. I tried to talk the wife into some extra flat screens downstairs for game day and she said "this is not a man cave, it's a movie theatre."

What'd you get for a 70"?

Went with a simple Vizio E Series. Looked at all of the different options and when push came to shove, went on price for a couple of reasons.
1. This is not our main TV. Its in a separate media room/theater room, so certain features were not necessary.
2. Im not yet of the belief that 4K is here to stay and paying the extra money for a 4K set, with little to not content yet, and the possibility that it gets skipped over for higher quality is still there.

Picking up two 39" sets that are cheap and they will be used in a different way. One will disply via computer, which will be GG's fantasy football team, twitter, etc. The other will display via HD Antenna or streaming.

Ya, I'm still on the fence with the 4k thing too. We'll probably pick something on Black Friday. looking at the Viz P series, Samsung H7150 or Sony KDLW950 series.

Primary tv in a well lit room. Screen glare is a concern and we want good streaming options.

Ya, I'm still on the fence with the 4k thing too. We'll probably pick something on Black Friday. looking at the Viz P series, Samsung H7150 or Sony KDLW950 series.

Primary tv in a well lit room. Screen glare is a concern and we want good streaming options.

I stared at the options for hours. So did GG. I could not for the life of me tell the difference in picture from E Series to P Series (minus 4k content). I still think the LG has the best Smart TV features by a landslide in terms of UI, but the Vizio is very solid. Plus the cost savings between the sets nabbed me two more 39" sets with cash left over for what I would have paid for the "upgraded" screen.

Went with a simple Vizio E Series. Looked at all of the different options and when push came to shove, went on price for a couple of reasons.
1. This is not our main TV. Its in a separate media room/theater room, so certain features were not necessary.
2. Im not yet of the belief that 4K is here to stay and paying the extra money for a 4K set, with little to not content yet, and the possibility that it gets skipped over for higher quality is still there.

Picking up two 39" sets that are cheap and they will be used in a different way. One will disply via computer, which will be GG's fantasy football team, twitter, etc. The other will display via HD Antenna or streaming.

Totally agree. I picked up a 55" Vizio E series for our master bedroom and its picture quality is 90% as good as my $2,000 Samsung 8000 series. My 65" V series Panasonic plasma certainly has a better picture than any LED TV but plasmas really should be in a darker room and I think LG is the only one making plasmas anymore. 4K is not worth the money unless you watch a bunch of movies and they are hard to buy right now when the prices will be dropping dramatically over the the next 12 months.

BTW, for anyone looking for a great 7.1 AV receiver, check out the Emotive 8100 for only $449. I am a long time audio nut and IMO you would have to spend $1,000 on something like a NAD T758 to get something that sounds comparable to the 8100. The Emotive 8100 replaced my Denon 2313 for my bedroom system and it blows away the sound of the Denon for music and home theater.

Last edited:
Picked up these two. Serious bargain at around $200 a piece.

72d21a5ae45a721fcf13e4019f462599.jpg

Picked up these two. Serious bargain at around $200 a piece.

72d21a5ae45a721fcf13e4019f462599.jpg

No kidding. In store or online somewhere?

Wow...Mike and I were just talking about my plans of doing just what you are. Definitely will be picking up a 40" to throw in by the par.

Back