The Liv Golf Rumor and News Thread

LIV isnt competitive golf. They get paid a lot whether they win or not. DJ even said he doesnt really practice anymore. Do we want those types of golfers in majors? I dont. They made their bed let them sleep in it
Not competitive? So I guess they didn't have a playoff at the first event they just decided to split the pot.

LIV isnt competitive golf. They get paid a lot whether they win or not.

Mahomes got a 10 year contract worth $450 million in 2020 and he got paid even though he lost plenty of games since. Guess once he got his millions he stopped caring about winning any more, just like all those other greedy slacker athletes in the NFL, MLB, etc.

He literally said it two weekends ago after a top finish. He was asked about his event preparation and he said he hadn’t picked up a club in 3-4 months and doesn’t bother practicing.
And I literally haven’t seen it, hence me asking.

That is good, but I think more LIV players are deserving for invites if the OWGR were fair.

I mean I get the Jay blame but I’m not sure anyone else would have done differently. Also it’s easy in the short run to criticize but if they come out of this with a better org people are going to have to say he held it together and made it work right?
I believe the only materially significant mistake Monahan has made thus far is spending beyond the PGA Tour's means; including too much prize money, signature events, soliciting investors etc...

Real happy for Joaquin.​

LIV Golf's Joaquin Niemann among 3 to get Masters invitations​

This was the right move. Well done Augusta.
This is fine, it's a good step....but they mention it's mostly because he played non-LIV events to try to earn OGWR points. The article highlights that Talor Gooch who won multiple LIV events last season did not receive one.

I don't see any major still putting a lot of stock in the OGWR as a good thing.

With the roster LIV has now they should be getting a small number of exemptions into every major IMO
This is a mistake by the Masters, opening the door to too much speculation and criticism about that tournament's invitation criteria. The Masters decision here is also disrespectful to the PGA Tour and its players.

This is a mistake by the Masters, opening the door to too much speculation and criticism about that tournament's invitation criteria. The Masters decision here is also disrespectful to the PGA Tour and its players.
This is such a bad take on the invite. It has nothing to do with him playing LIV as he played Asian Tour events to get points. Also the board at The Masters wants international exposure. They are playing chess.

1000012692.jpg

This is such a bad take on the invite. It has nothing to do with him playing LIV as he played Asian Tour events to get points. Also the board at The Masters wants international exposure. They are playing chess.

View attachment 9243893
pretty much giving credit for winning the Australian Open.

Mixed Martial Arts Thumbs Up GIF by UFC

Another good story is Puig earning his way into the Open Championship. 👍

I know rumor has it that LIV guys aren’t competing or are not competitive. Puig made the cut on the number, then went on to make 18 birdies over final 36 holes. It has me wondering what he could do if he really tried to compete. I mean does he shoot four consecutive 62’s instead of just the two he finished with?

Freezing out LIV players only fuels the Pro-golf civil war and this is a step in the right direction to reassemble the best players in the world.

Joaquin is currently 4th in the Race to Dubai Rankings, a 1st place finish, and 2 top 10 finishes in 3 starts. He won the Australian Open and recently won a LIV event in which he carded a 59.

It was noble of the Masters to identify and inject some talented diversity into their tournament.

Its just a reminder from our friends in Augusta that they can do whatever they want, and the network and tours had better not get too comfortable.

Real happy for Joaquin.​

LIV Golf's Joaquin Niemann among 3 to get Masters invitations​

Good on them, they still want the best guys there while staying out as much as possible from the LIV/Tour battles.

I would love to see the aftermath of a Masters Invitatation that was REJECTED.....hahaha

Not quite what you're looking for but last year there was a little mix up with Scott Stallings' invite.

Another good story is Puig earning his way into the Open Championship. 👍

I know rumor has it that LIV guys aren’t competing or are not competitive. Puig made the cut on the number, then went on to make 18 birdies over final 36 holes. It has me wondering what he could do if he really tried to compete. I mean does he shoot four consecutive 62’s instead of just the two he finished with?
He may just be getting his pro legs. He was one of the first ams to buck the trend and sign with LIV, I imagine that comes with some pretty heavy pressure.

What does the Masters owe to the PGA Tour? It’s not a tour event.

What does the Masters owe to the PGA Tour? It’s not a tour event.
The PGA Tour organization and its member players have supported the Masters tournament for 60 years, and as such deserve to be respected by the tournament.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
The PGA Tour organization and its member players have supported the Masters tournament for 60 years, and as such deserve to be respected by the tournament.
More like the PGAT has been allowed to play at Augusta in the tournament.

By support, you mean play in an event that was paying them a pretty good wage, then ok, i guess PGAT and members "supported" the Masters.

I'm sure both sides feel like they're the most important cog in the golf "machine" and that one owes the other. That's how things go when this much money gets thrown around. Should they have and show mutual respect for one another? Yes. Does one side "owe" the other ? Probably not. Everyone needs to learn to play nice in the sandbox.

PGAT, Augusta (and others) found a way to turn a game into a multi billion dollar industry and, as is human nature, everyone finds a way to fight about it to claim a little bigger piece of that pie. As for Augusta's inviting LIV golfers, as much as it might annoy people (me included)..... Augusta can do whatever it wants.

If we took it to the extreme and the PGAT tried to leverage the network into threatening to skip coverage of the Masters (which would never happen), AGNC could probably bypass everyone and stream the Masters themselves, for free... They've likely got the $$ to do it and advertisers would still stand in line. Come to think of it... wonder why they haven't already done that?

Back