The Movie Review Thread

Watched a few last night.

The Ruin, about a group of 20 somethings who visit an ancient Mayan temple that's been taken over by carnivorous vines. Was pretty lame.

Tropic Thunder, could have done without some of the lame gags but overall was pretty good. Downey was fantastic in his role.

And last was "The Animal" with Rob Schneider. We hadn't seen it previously and although it wasn't a classic it was funny at times.

The Ruin, about a group of 20 somethings who visit an ancient Mayan temple that's been taken over by carnivorous vines. Was pretty lame.

Tropic Thunder, could have done without some of the lame gags but overall was pretty good. Downey was fantastic in his role.

And last was "The Animal" with Rob Schneider. We hadn't seen it previously and although it wasn't a classic it was funny at times.

I've recently seen all 3 of those on cable and I agree with everything you said. I caught The Ruins midway through and spent the rest of the film trying to figure out the premise. Otherwise, I would have shut it off and done something productive, like band my head into a wall repeatedly.

Took my son to see GI Joe last night. They had the volume SO loud I thought my ears were bleeding and usually I like to feel it! Anyway, it was a mix of slapstick, action and cool toys. Oh and tight body suits! ;) It was ok. Not a bad movie but no Batman either. I judge movies by have to see it in the theater which very few really qualify for and wait to rent it. This one was borderline. Cool to see on the big screen but in the end probably could have waited. It was more about the kid going with Dad I guess!

The Ruins- book was much better than the movie

Tropic Thunder- agreed, Downey was the best and Jack Black was a close second

Yeah the Ruins was terrible. But its what I expected. Agree about Downey, dudes got skills. But Jack Black cant go away fast enough. He makes me wanna break stuff when I see him over acting every single role he does.

Just caught two movies recently on IFC; "Juno" and "11:14"

Both are very offbeat and quirky, but both are very interesting as well.

-JP

Check out "The Ugly Truth" with Katherine Heigl. Laughed the whole way through. Gerard Butler was perfect as a crude talk show host who tries to teach Heigl about men. Really funny, but crude, which is of course part of why the movie is so funny.

Yeah the Ruins was terrible. But its what I expected. Agree about Downey, dudes got skills. But Jack Black cant go away fast enough. He makes me wanna break stuff when I see him over acting every single role he does.

Agree on Jack Black, I don't find him funny one bit & wish he would just go away.

Took my son to see GI Joe last night. They had the volume SO loud I thought my ears were bleeding and usually I like to feel it! Anyway, it was a mix of slapstick, action and cool toys. Oh and tight body suits! ;) It was ok. Not a bad movie but no Batman either. I judge movies by have to see it in the theater which very few really qualify for and wait to rent it. This one was borderline. Cool to see on the big screen but in the end probably could have waited. It was more about the kid going with Dad I guess!

A buddy and I went to see this on Friday when it came out. I thought it was a pretty good movie. A couple things had/have me thinking. I hope they make a sequel even though it probably won't live up to this movie. Was Brenden Fraiser (from the mummy) in this movie doing some of the training at the beginning? If not that guy looked very similar to him.

I also watched "Taking Chance" on Friday night. The story in it's self is very sad. I'm not sure what I was expecting going into this movie. After it was over I felt "empty" if that's the word I'm looking for. I felt there should/could have been more. I enjoyed it though. Very interesting how people "honored" the body throughout the movie. Gives you a whole new respect for the Soldiers and their families.

I agree. He's a hack.

I thought the final scene in High Fidelity made it all worthwhile. At the time, I didn't know about Tenacious D, which made the unveiling of his character's ability to sing well a bit of a Crying Game sort of moment for me ... only this surprise I enjoyed.

Just finished watching "Burn after Reading" with George Clooney, Brad Pitt, John Malkovich, etc. It sucked, horrible movie that isn't even worth the time to discuss it.

Thinking about going to see either District 9 or G.I. Joe tonight. Anyone seen either one of them?

Thinking about going to see either District 9 or G.I. Joe tonight. Anyone seen either one of them?

Saw both. GI Joe is good entertainment but comes with a little cheese. I enjoyed it for what it was, a movie based off action figures. It had some funny parts, some good action and cool special effects. Acting was ok def not the best.

District 9 was a good movie but very different. I dont want to spoil it but its probably not what you think it is. Sure there's aliens in it, you can see that from the previews but its no Independence Day or Transformers type of movie. I liked it but like I said, its a different movie. And both movies set themselves up for sequels which seems to be the thing to do.

Saw both. GI Joe is good entertainment but comes with a little cheese. I enjoyed it for what it was, a movie based off action figures. It had some funny parts, some good action and cool special effects. Acting was ok def not the best.

District 9 was a good movie but very different. I dont want to spoil it but its probably not what you think it is. Sure there's aliens in it, you can see that from the previews but its no Independence Day or Transformers type of movie. I liked it but like I said, its a different movie. And both movies set themselves up for sequels which seems to be the thing to do.

Apparently District 9 is a documentary type movie.

Apparently District 9 is a documentary type movie.

Yeah it starts and ends that way. Kind of gets blurred as you go through and then goes back at the end.

I wouldn't say "documentary" as a documentary is the filming (or recreation) of factual events. Obviously, aliens haven't ever landed here, so no documentary.

I haven't seen D9, but from what I understand, it uses faux documentary style filming at points for dramatic purposes.

However . . .

(I think the following is common knowledge, but I don't want to accidentally spoil it for people who might not want to know.)

Spoiler
D9 parallels actual events in South Africa during the period when the government enforced the apartheid system.

So it's really more of an allegory than a documentary.

Obviously, aliens haven't ever landed here, so no documentary.

Can you be 100% positive about that?

Didn't go to any movie tonight, my wife is still hanging out with her relatives who are leaving tomorrow morning.

Can you be 100% positive about that?

The exception that proves the rule:
url

Just watched "12 rds" with John Cena, was good if you like a lot of action. Very predictable but entertaining none the less.

Also "Race to Witch Mountain", haven't seen the original movie since it was released in 1975. Going to have to rent it as I do recall enjoying it, bu then I was also only 13 at the time.

I also enjoyed this movie but I think it's because I have a soft spot for the original as well as it's 2 previous sequels.

Saw 'Inglorious Basterds" a couple nights ago. For all the rave reviews it's getting, I was expecting a little more. Most of the theater clapped and cheered at the end though, which means they liked it more than I did. It was long - It seemed like a scene would last 30 minutes before anything actually happened. But when the action hits, it's pretty sweet. Worth seeing in theaters if you like the genre or Terrentino, otherwise I would wait for the dvd.

Saw Funny People, not very good. The comedy acts in the movie were terrible as well. PLUS the movie is almost 3 hours long!!!!

Saw Funny People, not very good. The comedy acts in the movie were terrible as well. PLUS the movie is almost 3 hours long!!!!

I thought the exact same thing Dent. Not a very funny movie.

I thought the exact same thing Dent. Not a very funny movie.

I don't think it was supposed to be and I knew that, except they played the commercial like it was supposed to be, I just got suckered in thinking "Okay, well maybe it WILL be funny"

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

There wasn't really that much of a story to this movie, and I don't think I was the target audience, but I liked it anyway. Not sure why.

Back