The Movie Review Thread

When a movie is quoted so much that it makes you sick...it is usually a classic. Napoleon Dynamite is not that old...but that is a classic.

Other like Spaceballs take a longer time for people to consider them classic. I was just trying to suggest that just because a couple of people on here did not like Bruno or his humor does not mean that it can not be a huge success.

ya fully agreed...one of my favorite movies all time-and maybe the first in a new/future genre?

It may eventually be a cult classic, but not a classic. I think Gummi is right - Mel Brooks had a broader appeal.

Exactly. Broads liked Mel Brooks almost as much as dudes.

And Napoleon Dynamite was a waste of time and film. Quotable lines does not a movie make.

This is definitely a generational thing...I do not know anyone under 35 who did not like Napoleon Dynamite...but I do not know a single person over 40 who did like it. I have worked in 3 offices since that movie came out and every one has people quoting it every week. That does make a classic, but that does not mean everyone has to like it. Think about the Brooks movies...they are all quotable and people did quote it for a generation. These movies will be the next round for the younger generation.

Weird, uncomfortable humor is very powerful right now, and reality humor. Napoleon was very weird and uncomfortable but not reality. Borat was all three and Bruno is as well....Bruno just takes it another step further in the uncomfortable realm. What was funny about Borat was the way people responded to him. When he walked around NYC trying to shake hands and meet people was hilarious....one guy threatened to "kick him the balls" and another ran away at full speed down the road to get away. All because he was different. Very different humor but like Napoleon, not many under 35 people don't like these movies.

Just got back from watching Bruno.....what a rotten movie & waste of 90 minutes. Completely ignorant with no rhyme or reason as to what would happen next. I liked Borat but this movie sucks.

Just watched Taking Chance...WOW. what a moving and touching film. Highly recommended.

Watched Public Enemies with Johnny Depp today, my wife loved it but I found it kind of boring. Too much character development for my taste & not enough action. Needed more bank robberies & how they planned them. The part where they filmed in the town right up the road turned into maybe a 30 second clip. They spent 1 week filming there & transformed the downtown area back into the 1930's. Would be interesting to find out how much those 30 seconds ended up costing....had to be many millions of $$.

Weird, uncomfortable humor is very powerful right now, and reality humor. Napoleon was very weird and uncomfortable but not reality. Borat was all three and Bruno is as well....Bruno just takes it another step further in the uncomfortable realm. What was funny about Borat was the way people responded to him. When he walked around NYC trying to shake hands and meet people was hilarious....one guy threatened to "kick him the balls" and another ran away at full speed down the road to get away. All because he was different.

the reactions are really awesome...its almost a movie that sends a message about our society! like that guy at the rodeo "we would like to do that here" (when borat says they take homosexuals and hang them in kazakstahn) and the way those guys on the rv talk about women! i bet theyre glad women dont watch those movies so they actually have a shot at future relationships after saying those things! hahahahahahahahhaha

Spoiler
when i went to bruno, i counted 3 women in a full theater!

Beowulf

Meh. Reasonably decent interpretation for modern audiences (wasn't too keen on the major change in the second Act though), but I just can't get behind photorealistic animated movies. The faces never have the right expressions, the lips never sync up perfectly with the dialog, and I think it detracts from the storytelling.

Beowulf_071130103713764_wideweb__300x375.jpg

Watched Rambo last night, entertaining if you are into massive body counts, plenty of blood, dismembered body parts, etc. I enjoyed it.

Today was movie day in my house. We finally watched Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix and then caught one of my wifes all time favorites, Armageddon.

Beowulf

Meh. Reasonably decent interpretation for modern audiences (wasn't too keen on the major change in the second Act though), but I just can't get behind photorealistic animated movies. The faces never have the right expressions, the lips never sync up perfectly with the dialog, and I think it detracts from the storytelling.

Beowulf_071130103713764_wideweb__300x375.jpg

you are wayyyy to critical. How did you notice all that. Hard to enjoy the movie that way :D

you are wayyyy to critical. How did you notice all that. Hard to enjoy the movie that way :D

I disagree. I think you can do something different with a movie and still have it be great. For example, 300 was amazing. I think if Zemekis had gone with live action complimented with CGI, the movie would have been tons better, even with the changes to Act II.

Kind of surprising no one has mentioned this yet, but if you haven't seen the Hangover, do yourself a favour and go. It's the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Some comedies make me laugh, but this one has me in tears for pretty much the whole way through. It's just wonderful.

Kind of surprising no one has mentioned this yet, but if you haven't seen the Hangover, do yourself a favour and go. It's the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Some comedies make me laugh, but this one has me in tears for pretty much the whole way through. It's just wonderful.

It was pretty hilarious, pretty crude and awkward at times, but still worth checking out :)

Watched Gone in 60 Seconds last night.....love that movie! Not sure if it's the cars or Angelina Joile as a crazy blonde chick? :banana:

This is definitely a generational thing...I do not know anyone under 35 who did not like Napoleon Dynamite...

Nice to meet you I'm Bogeyme. I'm under 30 and can't stand the movie Napoleon Dynamite. The guys voice is annoying and I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes of it. I also couldn't get past 20 minutes of "Anchor Man". Both movies :bad:

Just watched Taking Chance...WOW. what a moving and touching film. Highly recommended.

I haven't seen this yet but it is on my list of movies to see.

Nice to meet you I'm Bogeyme. I'm under 30 and can't stand the movie Napoleon Dynamite. The guys voice is annoying and I couldn't watch more than 20 minutes of it. I also couldn't get past 20 minutes of "Anchor Man". Both movies :bad:

I haven't seen this yet but it is on my list of movies to see.

Sex Panther Cologne - 60% of the time, it works everytime.:laughing:
I thought Anchorman was funny.

Sex Panther Cologne - 60% of the time, it works everytime.:laughing:
I thought Anchorman was funny.

First time I saw it, I didn't like it much, but I've given it another try since and now think it's absolutely priceless.

Spoiler
The bit where Ron is debating whether to jump into the bear pit after Veronica and decides to do so. Then he lands and wakes the bear up, which roars. He says "I immediately regret this decision". Just perfectly delivered. That, plus the scene with the fight between the rival news crews:

That escalated quickly. I mean, that got out of hand REAL fast.
I killed someone.
Yeah, maybe you should lay low for a little while.

And finally, word has it Ron Burgundy will say whatever is put on the teleprompter. I mean anything.
"Go **** yourself San Diego".

Finally got around to seeing "Watchmen" tonight, overall a very disappointing & confusing movie. If you haven't read the comic or I guess there is a novel also, you may not know what the heck is happening or why. I had to read the Wikipedia condensed version to figure out what the deal was.

This has to be the best 4 mins of a movie

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WQKjCJXnJSE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WQKjCJXnJSE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

:worship:

Finally got around to seeing "Watchmen" tonight, overall a very disappointing & confusing movie. If you haven't read the comic or I guess there is a novel also, you may not know what the heck is happening or why. I had to read the Wikipedia condensed version to figure out what the deal was.

got the dvd but still havnt watched it for this exact reason. have yet to hear anyone who saw it and wasn't totally confused. and thats from people who actually read the comic!

watched miss march the other day. a few very crude & disgusting but funny parts. other than that not much to recommend.

watched Beowulf last night. couldn't quite get into it at first but ended up really enjoying it. the animation grew on me.

Agreed, it is very confusing. It seems as if there is a bunch of little stories plotted into the actual movie.

Agreed, it is very confusing. It seems as if there is a bunch of little stories plotted into the actual movie.

to me it looked too much like "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' which was disappointing as well......

Back