The Official 2014 NFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is funny

and David Wilson shut down for the year

OK, so Dalton doesn't suck but I would put him in a large group of average QB's in the league. How are those guys making 19 mil a year now? Just a few years ago that was unheard of for the likes of Manning/Brady and now you just have to not be one of the worst 5 QBs in the league to get that. Well, I guess Flacco got it, so maybe even if you are in the bottom 5

Saw some good things last night from the Giants and the new offense a lot of things can be better obviously but for the first Pre season game I am pleased. Defense really looked a lot better especially stopping the run and also getting hands up to deflect and tip passes.

Coughlin left Eli in a 3rd series because he looked so bad against the Bills starters and the defense looked good against EJ, so take that for what it's worth :)

Sucks but kinda had to see this coming. Neck is nothing to fool around with not in this NFL.

I dunno, EJ is looking rough.

He got multiple years of fair shakes at FSU and never lived up to expectations and always gave at least a couple of crap performances that killed the season. I've seen nothing to change my opinion of him in the nfl. A tease.

My thoughts exactly. I still don't know how he was a projected as a round 1 pick. Buddy Nix had a man crush on Cam Newton and thought EJ was the next best thing.

I'll be surprised if he ever plays again.

David Wilson is going to retire

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blog...ootball-/47f5e00a-96bd-43c1-b778-7a752ece8595

“I’m thankful that I can literally walk away from the game and that I am healthy and capable of doing the same things I have done all my life, except play football,” said Wilson. “I always try to find the positive in everything. This morning when I saw Dr. Cammisa and Dr. Warren, I didn’t hear what I wanted to hear, but I expected that what they told me could be a possibility. I had played out both scenarios in my mind. I prayed this morning before I went to see them that they would tell me what God would tell me. He put His answer in them to relay to me.”

“The whole idea for David is that he fulfilled his dream,” said Coughlin. “Even though his career was cut short, he remains positive and believes God has a plan. He has accepted this in such a way that is a great example for all of us. There is no self-pity. David is a strong person and extremely optimistic. He will meet his next challenge in life with the same enthusiasm he approached football.”

As for why the word "retire" was never used in the press release

Coughlin left Eli in a 3rd series because he looked so bad against the Bills starters and the defense looked good against EJ, so take that for what it's worth :)
Amazing how 2 people can see things so differently Hahahha

Eli will be fine learning a new system he has to get more reps on tape.

Amazing how 2 people can see things so differently Hahahha

Eli will be fine learning a new system he has to get more reps on tape.

To be honest, I was just regurgitating what I heard on Buffalo sportstalk radio :)
I hope EJ will be fine with more reps but I'm not putting any money on it.

To be honest, I was just regurgitating what I heard on Buffalo sportstalk radio :)
I hope EJ will be fine with more reps but I'm not putting any money on it.
I think he will be fine he just needs to learn to stay in the pocket no matter what people say IMO gotta stay in the pocket to win. Running QBs don't get it done often

I think he will be fine he just needs to learn to stay in the pocket no matter what people say IMO gotta stay in the pocket to win. Running QBs don't get it done often

While I typically agree, the NFL is changing quickly.
R. Wilson
Colin K
Cam Newton
and to an extent Luck and Rodgers who both move out.
I think that the pocket passer still succeeds in this league, but there is a spot for this hybrid player. Look at the playoffs last year and see how many QBs move.

While I typically agree, the NFL is changing quickly.
R. Wilson
Colin K
Cam Newton
and to an extent Luck and Rodgers who both move out.
I think that the pocket passer still succeeds in this league, but there is a spot for this hybrid player. Look at the playoffs last year and see how many QBs move.
True but only Wilson has a ring. Luck and Rodgers are pocket passers IMO do they move out of the pocket but only if things really break down. Better percentage to stay in the pocket for the QB not only to make plays but also to stay healthy.

True but only Wilson has a ring. Luck and Rodgers are pocket passers IMO do they move out of the pocket but only if things really break down. Better percentage to stay in the pocket for the QB not only to make plays but also to stay healthy.

Well yeah, only Wilson has a ring, but combined, outside of Rodgers, they have all been in the league for a cup of coffee.

Well yeah, only Wilson has a ring, but combined, outside of Rodgers, they have all been in the league for a cup of coffee.
You are right about how long they have been in the league but think about how a QB stays in the league. Brees, Brady, both Mannings ....... All pocket passers just don't think that this new running class will last as long.

You are right about how long they have been in the league but think about how a QB stays in the league. Brees, Brady, both Mannings ....... All pocket passers just don't think that this new running class will last as long.

Ironically a few on that list have suffered MAJOR injuries over the last few years. I agree that there is a place for the pocket passer (and much prefer them personally), but I think the league is so fast now, that a hybrid can be successful if they can hit short routes.

Ironically a few on that list have suffered MAJOR injuries over the last few years. I agree that there is a place for the pocket passer (and much prefer them personally), but I think the league is so fast now, that a hybrid can be successful if they can hit short routes.

Yeah the league is going to that point but it is a combo with the player at QB and the system. They have to work together to be successful. I also think about pace of the offense, how quickly they call plays and execute them. The. Giants as an example bc I know them best were notorious for taking forever to call plays and therefore giving the defense time to rest and adjust. Now they are doing all of that quicker and making the defense react quicker.

Yeah the league is going to that point but it is a combo with the player at QB and the system. They have to work together to be successful. I also think about pace of the offense, how quickly they call plays and execute them. The. Giants as an example bc I know them best were notorious for taking forever to call plays and therefore giving the defense time to rest and adjust. Now they are doing all of that quicker and making the defense react quicker.

To be fair, I think it takes Eli a good 25 seconds to wipe that stupid grin off his face...hehe

To be fair, I think it takes Eli a good 25 seconds to wipe that stupid grin off his face...hehe
Yup that goofy mug has 2 rings and MVPs haha

Personally I think mobile QB's are the wave of the future. The ability to scramble and run is such a huge weapon for a QB to have. Luck and Rodgers are not your typical pocket passing QB's, they both can run and break off pretty large runs at that.

Yup that goofy mug has 2 rings and MVPs haha

Meh...Lots of overrated QBs get rings. He is no different.
Based on that logic, he is twice as good as his brother and even his father would argue that one...

Meh...Lots of overrated QBs get rings. He is no different.
Based on that logic, he is twice as good as his brother and even his father would argue that one...
Peyton has a ring how could he be twice as good?

I don't have this argument any more not worth my time or energy. I just know he has 2 that's all I care about.

Peyton has a ring how could he be twice as good?

I don't have this argument any more not worth my time or energy. I just know he has 2 that's all I care about.

If Peyton has one ring and Eli has two rings, he must be twice as good as Peyton.
Since the ring is the measuring stick that is.

Personally I think mobile QB's are the wave of the future. The ability to scramble and run is such a huge weapon for a QB to have. Luck and Rodgers are not your typical pocket passing QB's, they both can run and break off pretty large runs at that.

But the key is Rodgers and Luck (and even Wilson) are pass-first QBs. They use their mobility to buy extra time and are constantly looking to throw.

That is what makes guys like Rodgers and Luck elite. They are incredible passers who have mobility on top of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back