The Official 2020 - 2021 NHL and Everything Hockey Thread

Because @Canadan sent me down a rabbit hole earlier. But I discovered the Olympic size hockey rinks are 100 foot wide compared to NHL rinks are 85 foot wide. I has always found the Olympic hockey to be much better to watch much more offense and flow to the game. The NHL games the ice seems cluttered like there is one to many players on the ice. Makes sense now that I found out Olympic and International rinks are larger. For the hockey enthusiasts out there do you think it would help the popularity of the NHL if they went to the wider rink to get more offense into the game and make a better TV product
European leagues use the bigger surface... What happens is that same collapse-to-the-middle defensive tactics used everywhere that results in a lot of skating around the perimeter for nothing

Because @Canadan sent me down a rabbit hole earlier. But I discovered the Olympic size hockey rinks are 100 foot wide compared to NHL rinks are 85 foot wide. I has always found the Olympic hockey to be much better to watch much more offense and flow to the game. The NHL games the ice seems cluttered like there is one to many players on the ice. Makes sense now that I found out Olympic and International rinks are larger. For the hockey enthusiasts out there do you think it would help the popularity of the NHL if they went to the wider rink to get more offense into the game and make a better TV product

Most college teams in America play on those rinks. Slightly different game for sure.

Less seats in the stands for the owners to charge $$$ for. I LOVE Olympic hockey more than any other event. Best hockey game I have ever seen in my life was Latvia v. Slovakia in the 2002 Olympic games preliminary round. games I believe that was on the larger ice. If you can find that game...wwatch it. As I said, best game I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of great games in my life.

USA!!!

I think physicality is more of a reality on the NHL sized rinks, and that sells pretty aggressively.

For me? I'd rather they went 4 on 4 than bump to international rink size.

Usa,pplayed incredible. They got better every game in this tourney. I had goosebumps after they won. Such a gutsy effort.

Now cam someone explain the trash can with a photo of Canada on it in their photo at the end? Was that some kind if shot at Canada?
They’ve been talking about “one barrel at a time” all tournament. I don’t think it was any sort of shot at Canada even though that’s how it’s being portrayed right now. Especially with the Canada logo on it. But either way, that isn’t what it was supposed to be

1609952132511.png

Most college teams in America play on those rinks. Slightly different game for sure.

Less seats in the stands for the owners to charge $$$ for. I LOVE Olympic hockey more than any other event. Best hockey game I have ever seen in my life was Latvia v. Slovakia in the 2002 Olympic games preliminary round. games I believe that was on the larger ice. If you can find that game...wwatch it. As I said, best game I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of great games in my life.
Not really true anymore. Colleges are transitioning away from Olympic rinks. Interesting article below. Anybody ever play on Olympic ice? We have one sheet out of the four at one of my local rinks. It's only 15 feet wider, but feels absolutely enormous, like you're skating forever and not getting anywhere. Of course my increasing age may have something to do with that feeling as well.

https://www.fccnn.com/sports/4381283-once-trend-college-hockey-olympic-sized-rinks-are-going-away

Not really true anymore. Colleges are transitioning away from Olympic rinks. Interesting article below. Anybody ever play on Olympic ice? We have one sheet out of the four at one of my local rinks. It's only 15 feet wider, but feels absolutely enormous, like you're skating forever and not getting anywhere. Of course my increasing age may have something to do with that feeling as well.

https://www.fccnn.com/sports/4381283-once-trend-college-hockey-olympic-sized-rinks-are-going-away

I've played on a number of the college rinks in our state growing up.

It does feel bigger.

Going to miss the 2021 Allstar Game.
As a Florida Panther season ticket holder was looking forward to seeing the game...

It's interesting - only two of Canada's players (not including their goalie, Levi) are products of the NCAA where the larger rink is way more common. So Canada's roster should have had another advantage there, their players being more used to playing on that smaller rink.

They are saying one of the greatest Canadian teams ever constructed. Just a massive win by USA.

I've played a lot on Olympic ice. I love it. There is so much room and the game is completely different. It really emphasizes speed, and puck control.

I've played a lot on Olympic ice. I love it. There is so much room and the game is completely different. It really emphasizes speed, and puck control.

The university of Minnesota plays on an Olympic sheet and it looks like a lake compared nhl sheets.

The university of Minnesota plays on an Olympic sheet and it looks like a lake compared nhl sheets.
It definitely feels a whole lot bigger too!

SCSU still has Olympic ice. I though BSU, MSU, UMD and the Gophers still play Olympic at their home barns, but I just heard Marriuci renovated theitheir ice to NHL size. I didn't know about that.

SCSU still has Olympic ice. I though BSU, MSU, UMD and the Gophers still play Olympic at their home barns, but I just heard Marriuci renovated theitheir ice to NHL size. I didn't know about that.
Mankato and umd are NHL size rinks. Msu transitioned shortly after Hastings came.

Mankato and umd are NHL size rinks. Msu transitioned shortly after Hastings came.

Man I haven't been keeping up on things.

It's got to be weird for some of the NCAA coaches to try to have to coach the subtleties of the two different rinks as these teams jump from NHL to Olympic like they do. At least a little bit I would think.

Man I haven't been keeping up on things.

It's got to be weird for some of the NCAA coaches to try to have to coach the subtleties of the two different rinks as these teams jump from NHL to Olympic like they do. At least a little bit I would think.

It is crazy that they don't have a standard size rink. All(maybe not all but close) of the NCAA Tournament games are in NHL rinks and that was a big reason the Mavericks changed to the NHL rink. They wanted it to be more streamlined to the game they play all year long. Systems would have to change based on the rink size right?

It is crazy that they don't have a standard size rink. All(maybe not all but close) of the NCAA Tournament games are in NHL rinks and that was a big reason the Mavericks changed to the NHL rink. They wanted it to be more streamlined to the game they play all year long. Systems would have to change based on the rink size right?

Playing on the Olympic ice was different for me. I kind of always thought it was cool the MN colleges all played on that ice.

Corey Crawford calls is a career (alliteration :))

Well done to him! Was hoping to see if he had a little left in the tank with the Devils but he deserves it! He may be a reason the Ducks didn’t win a second Stanley Cup in 2015 but congrats to him on a fantastic career!

Well done to him! Was hoping to see if he had a little left in the tank with the Devils but he deserves it! He may be a reason the Ducks didn’t win a second Stanley Cup in 2015 but congrats to him on a fantastic career!
Yep, two time Stanley Cup Champ. Decent for sure. Also read that he’s third in most wins for Chicago.

It tells me the Blackhawks knew something in not resigning him. They took a lot of grief for it. Looks like they made the right decision.

Flyers hockey Wednesday let’s goooo!

Back