The Official Driving Range Session Thread

My ball striking at the range today was a little more hit and miss than I would like it to have been, but the best thing about it was an 'ah-ha' moment about my alignment. I have trouble keeping my shoulders square at address as my right shoulder will creep forward. I've always tried to adjust my shoulder back to square. then today I realized that just a slight rotating of my hips (they were not square either I realized as well) my shoulder's squared up more or less automatically. The best part was that not only were my shoulders square but now that my hips are square (or at least they feel that way) my weight transfer to the right side was much more comfortable. Just one session so it's too early to tell but feel like I made real progress tonight, even though the results were far from perfect, felt like at least I was going down the right path.

I am freaking tired of my horrible striking with my wedges. I decide to do something about. Now, I have started chipping from a tight, sandy lie every day for 30 minutes Man, that is an eye opener. I am awful.

I am freaking tired of my horrible striking with my wedges. I decide to do something about. Now, I have started chipping from a tight, sandy lie every day for 30 minutes Man, that is an eye opener. I am awful.

Not sure how your setup Jacob but here's what I do and it makes me fairly consistent with my wedges:

Grip down, place the ball in the back of my stance, open the stance up and take a swing. I get 75-80yds on my gap wedge every time which is about the only constant in my game. LOL

Today, I focused on using the big muscles in my swing and keep my arms out of it. I feel really confident that I'm starting adding distance in my overall game. I'm so happy I found the info here at THP. :good:

I made a trip to the range a couple hours ago to work on my slice a bit. For that reason I just brought my driver. I changed a couple things based on slice fixes I've found online. Normally my misses (which were really frequent) was a hard slice. I loosened my grip some, as well as initiated my downswing with my hips and I have seen vast improvement. My normal shots this visit were slight pushes/pulls, with my miss being a low short hook (a clearly obvious miss).

It seems that what I've been reading online is true, a looser (still a strong grip, but just not nearly as tight) seems to help my release. It also looks like initiating my swing with my hips helps my swing path, keeping it from coming outside-in.

I'm going on the idea that this trip was a fluke (I've had good days like this without thinking too much about it) until I have a chance to repeat on Thursday and Friday. I'll use my irons one of those days and my driver the other, to see if what I'm doing works all the way around.

I am hoping to go to PlayGolf Manchester tomorrow to see what their range is like. It is further than my usual range by a fair distance but it is supposed to be good. There is also the added bonus of a minature golf course that is designed from real holes. Will be good to actually be able to hit from decent mats for once

Hit the driving range this evening for the first time since the outing. I know I needed the break but I sure was ready to get back out. Worked through the irons and maybe mis hit two or three shots total. Hit them very very well. Hit the new Adams A12 hybrid awesome. Straight as could be with no Mashie hooking. Driver and 3W were about 50/50 but I was pleased for the most part. The driver is coming around but I still need more consistency. Love a good range session.

So, went to the range yesterday with a buddy after work and was working a little bit with my irons (he was, and usually doesn't, so I figured we'd do it together). 10 or so swings in with my 7-iron and the head snaps off, lmao. didn't really pay attention to either the ball or the head, but saw something hit the ground some 20-feet ahead of me in the corner of my eye.

It's quite a sight, it was a clean break at the very end of the shaft. There is maybe an inch of the hosel left there. I'll be using this as an alignment assistant now, I guess, haha.

I bought my set used for $25 over a year ago, so I guess I got its worth out of them already. When I got the set, it was short a 9-iron anyway, so now I'm left with 3-6 and 8. To go with my driver, 3-wood, 5-wood, putter, pitching wedge, and a 52* and 60* wedges.

I've been wanting/needing to get a new set of irons, and now is a better time than ever... unfortunately I won't be able to for a few weeks, and have a tee time at University of Kentucky in Lexington next weekend. Should be interesting, to say the least.

Went to a new range for me today as I wanted to try hitting from a different style of mat. Spent most of the time hitting my Mashie to get used to the feel of the club again seeing as I have swapped the grip.

Played with a pretty strong left to right wind but I was mainly there to work on the strike.

After the session I took the kids onto the minature golf putting course, each hole is designed after a real hole with the same par as if it was the real hole

1 - 10th Belfry
2 - 12th Royal Birkdale
3 - 18th Carnoustie
4 - 17th St. Andrews
5 - 13th Augusta
6 - 16th Augusta
7 - 18th Belfry
8 - 18th Torrey Pines
9 - 17th Sawgrass

managed a -1 (34) and had a lot of fun playing

Just got back from another range session. Didn't break anything this time, haha. I think I finally got into the groove of having a much looser grip and using hip movement to initiate my downswing. While I was still hitting about 60% decently well, I was hitting a fair bit badly as well. A couple slices, but my main miss today was a really low push-hook. I was using the headless club from my last session as an alignment tool and I think that might have helped as well. It kinda felt like I was pre-turning my shoulders when I was trying to make sure they were square with the alignment shaft, but I think that's something I should be able to get used to quickly.

It's gonna be over 90 the rest of the weekend, so I think I should just play it safe and stay in the air conditioning, lol.

Hit the driving range this evening for the first time since the outing. I know I needed the break but I sure was ready to get back out. Worked through the irons and maybe mis hit two or three shots total. Hit them very very well. Hit the new Adams A12 hybrid awesome. Straight as could be with no Mashie hooking. Driver and 3W were about 50/50 but I was pleased for the most part. The driver is coming around but I still need more consistency. Love a good range session.

Wait what?! Did you go out and get the A12?

Had a decent range session today, still pushing my irons about 50 yards right of my target line but what I really was there to work on was my driving. Used my two target sticks and played a lot with where the ball was in my stance as well as concentrating on turning my right hand over to square the club face. After a couple of really horrible slices I was able to really start hitting the ball well down my target line. Moved the ball up in my stance a little bit so the ball was at the middle of my foot instead of the heel and I was able to put a baby draw on the ball (or if I really got my hand through an ugly hook), bring the ball back off my heel a bit and I could put a controlled fade on the ball. It really felt good to predict where my ball was going to land depending on where I setup to the ball. I also smoothed out my swing quite a bit to help get those hands around and was hitting the ball a bit farther then I normally do. On this range there are two large trees about 200 yards out and up a hill, I kept hitting into the trees in the air, now all I have to do is recreate this the next round I play.

Hit the range again this morning but only hit 50 balls. Spent most of the time hitting my driver. Worked on widening the stance and having a relaxed takeaway. Towards the end of the session it really started to click and I was hitting them exactly how and where I wanted them to go. Hope I can take it to the course next time I go.

As usual the mashie performed, it really is turning out to be my go to club

Wait what?! Did you go out and get the A12?

lol dude you're sharp. I sure did and I love it. Put in play yesterday and it worked flawlessly. Straight and long with no hooking.

lol dude you're sharp. I sure did and I love it. Put in play yesterday and it worked flawlessly. Straight and long with no hooking.

I did some a12 research last night. Looks like the pro blacks. Snazzy looking hybrid dude. I need to find one to demo locally.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

hit the range this morning armed with my 7 iron and a di11 7 iron. my 3 yr old came along and was also armed with a 7 iron. it was her best session yet she managed to hit all 30 balls with out losing focus and running off lol. as for me i think the urge to see if theres anything better than my burners for me at the minute has been satisfied as a NO or i havent found it yet :D

I did some a12 research last night. Looks like the pro blacks. Snazzy looking hybrid dude. I need to find one to demo locally.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts. Hit it twice yesterday on par5's and it delivered both times.

I had a good small range session a couple days ago. I've been struggling with pushes and.pulls, so I decided to bring my hands in closer to my body. Sure enough, I was striking the ball much better and my divots were also going the right direction.

Now I just need to figure out how to take the range to the course.

Hit the range early this morning just to clear my head and get ready for work....Thought about our men and women in service who no longer can. Happy Memorial Day to everyone!

just got back from the range in 90* weather...I hate going back to work sweaty..actually I would have preferred not to go back to work LOL

On the plus side though, I think I got two more friends into golfing AND my 5i is starting to carry up to 175-180yds versus the end of last season where I was barely getting 150yds...It's one of those days where you actually like the game. :banana:

I was just at the range, hitting my driver and 6i. Toward the end of my driver stint, I was starting to hit really well and not exactly straight, but within a certain area. Then I was hitting my 6i similarly. I need to get some work in with my irons, as I topped a few as well as thinned a few. Like the driver, I hit a fair bit in the area I set myself out to hit. I think the overall consensus is that my swing is alright (for self-taught) but my hands need to turn at the right time/speed and I'll be okay. Well with the irons, I need to keep my head down, and keep myself from hitting the ball fat or thin.

at least you have an idea of what to work on. I usually just take 2-3 swings with the wrists to get that feel for the turning of the hands.

Today it was pretty mindless on the range, just out there hitting balls. I did work on hitting a fade to a spot. I often struggle with that shot because I have difficulty controlling exactly the amount of cut.

Today was a solid day on the range (and practice green) for me. I seem to have the majority of my kinks worked out of my irons. Still fading the longer irons a little, particularly later in my range sessions when I'm getting tired. Driver is still iffy, but better today. What was really great is that I was hitting my 8, 9, PW and 56* with authority. Ball first, divot starting after the ball, and just really hitting that ball high as a result....and accurate. That's two days now of great scoring iron hitting. I hope it carries with me into league this week.

Back