The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I think tiger needs to fist pump more. Normally I'm not the biggest fan of excessive exuberance on the golf course but tiger has never been stoic with his emotions as a golfer. When he was younger he'd be bouncing around and giving fist pumps after making putts. Watching the highlights of today I saw not one fist pump.

I think tiger needs to fist pump more. Normally I'm not the biggest fan of excessive exuberance on the golf course but tiger has never been stoic with his emotions as a golfer. When he was younger he'd be bouncing around and giving fist pumps after making putts. Watching the highlights of today I saw not one fist pump.

I like that he saves the fist pumps and really big reactions for clutch putts in big tourneys/majors.... which is why we haven't seen it in awhile. Here's to a really big fist pump and awkward caddie high five at the PGA.

That par save on the 18th was great! Hope he can make a nice score today.

Tiger Woods funded and started the Tiger Woods foundation for the kids. He plays in the Notah Event for the fans. He shows respect to the fans every time they cheer. Are you saying that he isn't like Phil and shaking hands and kissing babies... maybe. HOWEVER there are a lot of haters out there. They are probably in the same crowds that he doesn't stop in. He is the guy on TMZ every time he goes outside, not Phil or whatever. I have met many of these athletes in my line of work and the ones that are at celebrity status have to be careful how everything they do is read and perceived. It is unfair to judge every action. A general rule that we should all live by, Don't Judge people. Especially those you don't know.

Anyway. I am just saying that some athletes are judged for their lack of fan interaction during competition. It is not fair to do so.

I remember I was working a Cavs Game and I was walking in the players entrance to go to the restroom, Lebron James was walking in at the same time and he held the door, said hello, asked me how my day was going and wished me well for the day. He shook my hand and everytime I saw him after that he was equally as nice. HOWEVER everyone seems to hate Lebron as well.

Part of me wonders if the "hate" comes from people who want to see their favorite athletes from their childhood stay the best. People want to love the Babe Ruths, Hank Aarons, Michael Jordans, Barry Sanders, Arnold Palmers, Jack Nickalous' and so forth. When the people who used to be the best (in their day) are challenged it seems to make the people that challenge almost become villains. I just want to make sure that people are not judging the fellow human being that they do not even know.

Thanks for listening.

I dislike Tiger because he's an ass. Always has been, always will be. There are countless stories of him being a douche outside of just sleeping around. He just isn't a nice person, or so it seems.

My wife feels this way about peyton Manning and it offends her that im one of his biggest fans. In the end I've never met most of the big stars besides lebron who is a dousch, pardon my spelling. All I care about is the greatness of their play bc thats what they're there to do.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I dislike Tiger because he's an ass. Always has been, always will be. There are countless stories of him being a douche outside of just sleeping around. He just isn't a nice person, or so it seems.

Now Hogan was an ass. Rude to fans, journalists and playing competitors. Just a very gruff guy, that was a personality bully. I've always wondered how he would have faired in today's media. Would he be as revered as he is now?

Even the Haney book pointed out how genuine Tiger is with kids and his playing partners.

Perhaps its because Golf isn't a team sport but there are countless guys in the NBA, NFL and MLB that have been unfaithful, rude, gruff but the seem to not get the dislike that Tiger does.

The defense of an athlete can be an amazing thing.

As can the prosecution....

I'm a tiger fan. A big tiger fan. With that said, Tiger could be more affable with the galleries. He could smile more. He could seem like he appreciates the applause more.

But, being focused on his game and not the galleries is probably part of the reason why he has been so successful on the course.

I'm sure none of the other guys on tour give a rats a$$ what tiger does. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't be getting 1.4m checks when they win. I've heard stories of Nicklaus being not so much the role model .. No one says spit about him. If we had paparazzi following all of us around people would be saying how much of a d-bag all of us are too right? Just sayin ..

I'm sure none of the other guys on tour give a rats a$$ what tiger does. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't be getting 1.4m checks when they win. I've heard stories of Nicklaus being not so much the role model .. No one says spit about him. If we had paparazzi following all of us around people would be saying how much of a d-bag all of us are too right? Just sayin ..

I'm not one already?

Tiger Woods funded and started the Tiger Woods foundation for the kids. He plays in the Notah Event for the fans. He shows respect to the fans every time they cheer.

If this is all it takes to be a "good person" than the line starts with OJ Simpson, Mike Vick, Kobe Bryant, Ray Lewis and countless others that had/have foundations, play in charity events and show respect to fans when they cheer.

Im not comparing TW to any of those, merely showing that they are not mutually exclusive to being a good guy.

Exactly... You can't define a man by a single action. We all have out flaws. We are human

To be fair, isnt this what people on the other side of the argument are doing? Saying how great he is because of the single action of golf?

To be fair, isnt this what people on the other side of the argument are doing? Saying how great he is because of the single action of golf?

Not exclusively. I think it's possible to be a fan of Tiger Woods and acknowledge that he probably isn't the nicest guy.

Yeah he probably isn't but don't you think it's easy to get slightly jaded if you can't take a dump without someone taking a picture of it. I think just "golf" is more than a single action. It's more like an illustrious career. Michael Jordan didn't just play ball .. Babe Ruth didn't just hit a home run

Not exclusively. I think it's possible to be a fan of Tiger Woods and acknowledge that he probably isn't the nicest guy.

Agree to a T. I think that most of his fans are. Not sure I understand the contingent that defends that part of it too, but it is what it is.

Yeah he probably isn't but don't you think it's easy to get slightly jaded if you can't take a dump without someone taking a picture of it. I think just "golf" is more than a single action. It's more like an illustrious career. Michael Jordan didn't just play ball .. Babe Ruth didn't just hit a home run

Maybe. People have choices however. Its the outcome of those choices that make the man.
To the 2nd part, when it turned out that TW was kind of a liar (in his personal life), every fan said, "I just love watching him play great golf". I mean we have thousands of posts saying it. To me that makes sense, as long as they are not rooting against others doing it (which seems to happen to). But if that is the reasoning given, then it is just the singular act of golf.

I refuse to use the "victim of his own success" argument. He wouldn't be a target if he kept his dangler in check.

Agree to a T. I think that most of his fans are. Not sure I understand the contingent that defends that part of it too, but it is what it is.

These arent questions to you. The question marks reflect my tone.

Tiger wins on the course. So he's a winner off of it? He wins on the course, so whatever he does is correct because its working? Phil has to glad hand because he isn't as good as tiger?

These arent questions to you. The question marks reflect my tone.

Tiger wins on the course. So he's a winner off of it? He wins on the course, so whatever he does is correct because its working? Phil has to glad hand because he isn't as good as tiger?

I think they are things that many think about. However we live in a society where sometimes "not the best" people are viewed as heroes to millions. It is what it is and sports to an extent have always been this way, but when we were kids, they were heroes in the purest sense, for their special ability. As adults you learn more about a person and you can choose to do with it what you choose.

If someone wants to believe TW is a great guy, then so be it. Maybe he is in their mind.
I do often ask myself one question about the whole thing. If being like this is considered intensity, and being crazy over the top nice is considered fake by the same fans, then in the end, I dont think there is a real middle ground other than ambiguity. This is not related to TW or anybody else, just an observation from a different perspective.

The last 5 years have given me a very different perspective about the world of golf, the players and definitely the fans. Not bad, good or better or worse. Just see things differently than I used to.

Tiger is a hero to many because of his annual income. But he isn't a hero. Optimus Prime, he is a real hero.

Back