CONTEST The One Length Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an unsolicited opinion for whom ever is chosen...............Pick someone that has tried OL and has a not so impressed result from the process. With a "new and improved" version, perhaps that would be a better review based upon what was and what is currently being offered.

In my case I immediately saw a difference in feel and dispersion. For me, it was a no-brainer. I'm gambling on the implication that switching to OL is extreme enough that it will take someone more than 5 rounds to decide.
Quoting myself a couple posts ago regarding it being "extreme"
One quick note-- with OL you don't change how you hit the ball. It's actually the opposite, you take what you got and let it become as consistent and repeatable as possible. It's the same swing you used for your 7i, just with much more practice.

It pleases me to see more sensible (variable length) posters have entered the thread.
I think elsewhere in here you mentioned not seeing many people who actually improved with OL. Can't find that post but I'll repost this from a couple pages ago.
I love how almost every misnomer about OL has been posted and refuted by @JB.

For anyone wondering about an actual example, I switched to OL and went from 36+ down to 22 in about 17 months.

I was hoping to get to 17.9 by the end of the year, but I've been out since about late June with a wrist issue. But in the only round I've played since then, the only swings I'd taken in 2 months were range balls before the round, and I went and shot an 86. I'm going to ride OL down to <18, then single digits, and as low as I can become capable of.

I would absolutely love to give these a try. I remember when the EQL irons came out I wanted to get a set then, but my brother talked me out of it. Probably a good idea since I still struggled with the 6 iron. I have actually almost picked up a used set of the Cobra F9's a couple of times, but just can't bring myself to invest in a set of clubs I have never even swung before especially ones like these.

I think you would be a fantastic candidate for this OL experiment based upon the round we played at Kinderlou Forrest and would take to these clubs and concept straight away.
One quick note-- with OL you don't change how you hit the ball. It's actually the opposite, you take what you got and let it become as consistent and repeatable as possible. It's the same swing you used for your 7i, just with much more practice.

Quoted for the truth. Based upon some of the comments, you would think this is a contest to see if you could play a bag full of croquet mallets for a season. Unless you do not currently carry a 7 iron in your bag, you are qualified to hit these clubs on day 1.

Although I'm not entering this challenge, I am still giving serious thought to purchasing a set of F8 OL irons and trying them out for a full golf season. I've tried OL irons on occasion, and the idea of one swing for the entire iron set is intriguing. I do like JB's idea about splitting the set into OL irons/normal wedges, which means I could work my CBX 54/58 into play.

If you do, I strongly recommend going with the F9 set. While the F8s were very good, the F9s are a whole different animal. The F9s have improvements which, in my opinion, make the face much hotter and ball striking much easier in the OL set. Look around in the F9 thread and see how many of us have kept the 4 and 5 irons in our bags (not in one length, but that's not my point in this particular response, its more about the club head) regardless of the sets we are carrying. I can think of at least 5.

I’ve been playing the One Length Forged 4-pw since July. They are very underrated when it comes to golfers with bad back Issues. The consistent spine angle relieves a lot of stress on the lower back. The only club that needed extra practice was the pitching wedge. My ball striking has gotten much more consistent. Hard to go back to variable length irons. My back thanks you Cobra!

Love the conversation on One Length and how far this has come. Would love to try One Length irons out. I hit my 7 iron great but have been struggling with set up on my shorter clubs which has lead to hosel strikes.

Last edited:
It pleases me to see more sensible (variable length) posters have entered the thread.

Exactly the thing someone who thinks that sauce belongs on top of a pizza would say...

Quoting myself a couple posts ago regarding it being "extreme"

I think elsewhere in here you mentioned not seeing many people who actually improved with OL. Can't find that post but I'll repost this from a couple pages ago.

To be fair, not many people actually improve with any change in iron sets, whether they be OL or VL. Sure, clubs can help some, but real improvement takes much more than swapping sticks. And that may be the reason folks give up on OL. They don’t see immediate and drastic improvement, so OL must not be for them.

So I’m curious what a long term commitment by more people would show for OL v. VL. Is there greater potential for improvement with OL than with VL?

If I were fortunate enough to be chosen, I think my commitment would have to go well beyond five rounds and a few tweets, if for no other reason than that I would want it settled in my mind.

I disagree that only a good golfer can benefit from One Length. I hit my 7 on up just fine, but 6 and below is iffy. As a higher handicap, but rapidly progressing golfer, I would love the chance to try a set of OL. I play every week here in So. Cal, so you won't have to wait until spring for a review. Oh, I agree with JB on dual length, and would actively seek this option. I could also share with my wife who is taller and loves to use my clubs.

Been going back and forth on trying these since I started just under a year ago. True high handicapper constantly learning and could definitely give you an interesting look with my experience. My 7i is about the only consistent club in my bag and need to find something that replicates that consistency. Listening just got me more psyched to try these out. ?

Could have interest but have played graphite irons for over 20 years and am a regular shafter. So steel and stiff, I'm not a good candidate. I swung a set of Sounder single length and weights back in 1980 after Seve was playing Sounders.

I'm intrigued, and will listen to it, but there's no way I'm playing anything other than graphite in my HL4's when Winter ends.

I ended the year with a personal best. I simply have no desire to tinker right now.

Really fun and cool idea, guys!

The banter was great, would have been a fun conversation to be a part of. Funny that Adam has only tried a OL set once but has a strong opinion about them...but it's understandable too. A lot of us make quick decisions when tinkering.

Since Cobra launched their one length sets, I've always thought it would be a fun experiment, but I have yet to try them. I'm pretty confident with a 7i so I have no mental blocks about the concept working. Like most people, one of my biggest concerns is the wedges.

Will be fun to follow along with whoever gets picked.

Fun listen. I definitely disagree that OL is for better players only. I played Cobra’s original Forged TEC OL irons. Those heads were unforgiving enough that they really were for better players. But that was the heads more than OL. I moved to F7 OL. The GI heads really opened the irons up to lesser skilled players like me. I’ve read enough about improvements from that iteration of OL to the F9 line to be pretty confident in OL tech being a winner. I hope a certain someone enjoys their hybrid irons :) Best of luck to everyone that is entering.

If I were fortunate enough to be chosen, I think my commitment would have to go well beyond five rounds and a few tweets, if for no other reason than that I would want it settled in my mind.

Exactly my opinion and why i said i would give it at least a season....5 rounds could just be a "honeymoon" phase and quick feel good difference form what you are playing now. Double the time or a full season would be a greater time for improvement.

My brother has played a set of Wishon Sterling irons for the last 2 seasons. He has stuck with them, not sure it really improved his scoring but he didn’t lose/gain any distance with them. I’m not sure I could get used to them but to be completely honest I don’t really have any desire to switch either. Will look forward to reading the winners thoughts & I do have about a 2 hour drive tomorrow morning so I will finally get to listen to the podcast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the thing someone who thinks that sauce belongs on top of a pizza would say...
Weren’t you the guy that ate 4 pieces of deep dish in Chicago?!

Really enjoyed the podcast. It felt like my own internal dialogue on the merits of One Length vs. Variable Length. Having just come back to golf in the last 2-3 years, I have thought of myself as good candidate as I am not so grooved into a swing that I think I would adapt more quickly then some. Living in Mesa, AZ I would be able to complete the five rounds and blogs before the year is up (I play every weekend, and have a range membership). That way you will know who is choosing who's bag before New Year's Eve!

Thanks for the fun podcast.

I enjoyed the banter during the podcast. I definitely disagree with @golfunfiltered concept that only better players would see the benefit of OL irons. How could only needing one setup/swing throughout your irons not help everyone, especially the majority of amateurs?

The golfer that would make the switch will be either 1-inconsistent with his iron play or 2-has genuine troubles hitting long irons and doesn’t want to switch to utility clubs or hybrids.
Not trying to be contrarian, but probably succeeding anyway ;) I disagree that a golfer would need to be a candidate for SGI clubs to benefit from OL irons. Improved consistency (1 swing should help) is desirable regardless of "Cap".

I, unfortunately, don't have the SS for the set of irons that will be used for this experiment. Looking forward to seeing which lucky THPer is selected and following along with their progress.

I wonder how low @golfunfiltered handicap drops once he starts gaming the all hybrid set @JB selects for him? :D

Just started my golf career last summer when I joined a Country Club and replaced my childhood set with a new “bargain “ set that I really enjoy.
My current set are the W/S C200’s irons and they are great irons. Was very curious about trying one length but a golf buddy in the singles talked me out of it.
I actually hit my longer irons a little purer then my wedges and was hoping OL could help my short game a bit. I tend to chunk and blade my shorter irons trying to adjust to shaft differences.
Currently a 17 handicap

Not entering this one, but very much looking forward to following along. Maybe it’ll help me make up my mind and buy a set for next season - I have been toying with this idea for some months.

OL just makes sense to me. You don’t bunt with a different bat in baseball, and you only get to take one hockey stick on the ice.

I’ll follow this and look forward to hearing the results but I am happy with my traditional length irons and have no desire to try one length irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Having listened to the Podcast twice, not sure I've ever heard JB so sure of himself. Adam thinks he knows about OL irons after one round a couple years ago, and to JB's point, these are not the same clubs.
The OL challenge is interesting. I get the idea and thought hard about this when they were re-introduced a couple years back. The premise of one swing for all your irons sounds like a good idea. Not positive it can help someone's game, but it makes sense that it might make the game easier.

I'm looking forward to seeing this test. Curious to see what someone coming from variable length clubs thinks of the OL and how it effects their game.

I'll enter this one. However, in the interest of transparency, weather will prevent testing for a few months.

I'm on board with the one length concept and have always wanted to try them. I have in the past made all of my wedges the same length and it's worked out great for me. Current wedges are stock only because of the great deal I paid for them but I've already decided that when it's time to get new wedges they will again all be the same length. It just makes so much sense to me.

Golf Unfiltered, I'm would not be biased in my testing but I'd be confident that you would "enjoy hybrid irons for the year".

After listening to the podcast, I still think I'm with @golfunfiltered on this one.

@JB makes some valid points, but I don't think I would enjoy the one length.

Best of luck to those who enter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back