The Patrick Cantlay Thread (Patty Ice)

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
I've become a fan of Patrick Cantlay, especially after the Ryder Cup. Patty Ice! After seeing this article today talking about going 5 months with rounds in the 60's, I thought it was worth his won thread.

Any other fans out there? 5 months is a heck of a streak!

Cantlay has really come into his own the past 6 months or so. Each time out he seems to be around the lead if not in the lead.

I am a big fan of his swing. I kinda can't stand looking at him, or his clothes, or his feet moving, or whatever he's always doing trying to lick his lip off his face, but I take lessons on his swing. It's a little old school and it's pretty easy on the body. Effort vs. output is high. It's my kind of thing. Plus he's just really damn good.

For some reason I just can’t jump aboard. Dude has game, but there is something that makes me cringe each time he gets tv time.

Agree -- impressive streak and a great swing!

While I wouldn't consider myself a huge fan, I'm not a detractor either. Respect to him for his game, he's definitely been on a heater and has emerged from the pack as one of the current elites on the PGA Tour.

For some reason I just can’t jump aboard. Dude has game, but there is something that makes me cringe each time he gets tv time.

Get him some poppers to play with or something to calm him down between shots!

His game is really good. I feel like he is pretty quiet about it too. Also a super nice guy.

Respect his ability and play as a golfer but I don’t enjoy watching him play. His pre-shot routine and seemingly endless foot movements make him a difficult watch for me.

Respect his ability and play as a golfer but I don’t enjoy watching him play. His pre-shot routine and seemingly endless foot movements make him a difficult watch for me.

Awesome player, one of my favorites but the slow play hurts me.

Also, he has a very sad story in his golf career and personal life. His best friend and caddie was killed very young. It must be a heavy sadness to live with on and off the course.

That's quite a streak, gotta respect his game! The slow play, zillion looks down line and foot shifts make it hard to watch!

I sent this to buddies this weekend. Didn't realize he had this kind of distance
3C7A0E7F-3029-493E-BF5E-1827203335F6.png

Seeing the video of Viktor Hovland hitting a chip shot while Cantlay is walking up to the green at the Masters should be the marketing for this guy...he needed to be put on the clock and have strokes docked off his score at Augusta. Yes they're playing for millions of dollars, but he's only 31 he should be able to play/walk a little faster.

Can we discuss that whole tongue thing, what is that?

It must take a lot to piss off a guy like Viktor.

I am a big fan of his swing. I kinda can't stand looking at him, or his clothes, or his feet moving, or whatever he's always doing trying to lick his lip off his face, but I take lessons on his swing. It's a little old school and it's pretty easy on the body. Effort vs. output is high. It's my kind of thing. Plus he's just really damn good.
Dewalt Company Overview | The Tool Space

Seeing the video of Viktor Hovland hitting a chip shot while Cantlay is walking up to the green at the Masters should be the marketing for this guy...he needed to be put on the clock and have strokes docked off his score at Augusta. Yes they're playing for millions of dollars, but he's only 31 he should be able to play/walk a little faster.

Bryson complained about him and his slow play during some tourney a few years back.

Slowest player on earth.

Let's just blame Sam Bennett.

Ignoring the part where that website sucks, the quote he made was interesting about waiting on others.

If Cantlay was spectacularly slow, there should have been a gap on the back nine. The fact that they waited twice on the last four holes is more damning for the field than for him. I'll admit my pace slows down a fair bit if I have nowhere to go.

Cantlay is an easy target because we see him being slow because his slowness is at address and over the ball. I’m not sure who’s fault it is and it may not be anyone’s fault. Tour golf is just a slow proposition.

This is pretty spot on. I like his swing and he's awfully damn good. Other than that there's not much I like. I've listened to a couple interviews with him recently and he was awfully authoritative in his opinions about a few topics where he clearly wasn't well read on the underlying facts. Also, he interviews about like his pace of play. He's the human equivalent of wall paper paste.

Back