Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean I am so sorry! I type this through flowing tears, because it was a year ago this time that we had to do the same with Duke. My heart absolutely breaks for you, we will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers.
And I shed a few, too, for the Dukester. We all did. Going to be a long week here. THanks all.

I'm very sorry to read this Sean, my thoughts are with you guys buddy. I fear the same all the time and don't want to have to make that decision.

So sorry to hear this Sean.

That was difficult to read. We've all been through it, and it seems to get harder each time.

You have my number if you need anything buddy.

We think it might be time to let her go. All she does is lie in bed, now, and it's gotten a lot worse the last week or so. Last night, before we went to bed, we were laying with her and loving on her and we noticed her eyes were just not 'right'. I can't even provide a word that would describe her look, but it was just sort of vacant. She recognizes us all, and wags her tail once or twice when she sees us, but I think the old girl is tired. I was actually a bit surprised she made it through the night. She can barely breath because of the sinus problems and just seems aggravated with it all. We discussed planning a time, maybe Friday after work, to have the vet come to the house. There's no way I want her in a place she freaking hates for her last minutes. I would prefer her at home with the wife and our son and in a comfortable, loving environment. And it's a 3-day weekend for my job so I will have some time alone to recuperate as much as I can. I know, now, how easy it is to be selfish and keep them around, but also wanting to let them go to be in a better place.

I have truly felt the sadness the last few times you all have posted similar things in this thread because I knew it was coming for us, too. I guess I'm only posting this (in quite a dusty office I might add!) to get it off my chest. The two pictures are; the first day we brought her home, and the picture I took at the vet's before we left...just in case. Thanks for listening to my rambling. Think of her for us.

14 years, 2 months.
Best wishes, T0AD. It's a rough time and so many of us here can relate. Do what you think is best for her. One thing, I don't know if you have any other pets, but if you do, let them be there too. Gives everyone closure.

We'll keep you and your family in our thoughts.

Toad, hang in there buddy. Just know that you have given her a very good life, one a beautiful dog like yours deservers. My heart goes out to you and your family

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

A little update:
First, I really appreciate you all, and this thread, for being so supportive in these times. We all go through it, and it's never easy, and knowing you can lean on someone that's done it recently (It has been over 20 years for me) really helps a lot.

Lady is doing much better after some IV hydration and meds and she's eating again.
However, she is now on steroids to try and slow down what they can't quite prove is a tumor without doing a CAT scan or MRI ($). They said their normal x-ray couldn't penetrate her thick damn skull enough to get conclusive evidence there's something there, but they suspect a cranial osteosarcoma or bone cancer maybe in her frontal lobe or sinus cavity.
But, you know, she's old, so what if we did 100% find a tumor; what are we really going to do at that age, right?

So the Prednisone is suppose to help with any and all inflammation in the body, at least until it stops working. Both vets agree she's most likely not in any pain outside of maybe a headache, and as long as she's up and about and eating and drinking, the steroids are working. This is only a stop gap for now, though, and the intense spoiling will commence immediately. She will eat whatever she wants, do whatever she wants, until it is time to leave us. We have already made arrangements with the vet to do a housecall when the time comes; she said just call and she'll be there that night.

So, for now, we love her, more than ever (if that's possible) and let her know we're here for her and not ever going to be alone again. I doubt she'll even go back to that lousy vet's office that she hates (why do all hospitals, regardless of species, smell like that?!).

Thanks again, everyone, and I'm thinking she needs some ice cream tonight when I get home. A vanilla dish from Sonic might do the trick.

A little update:
First, I really appreciate you all, and this thread, for being so supportive in these times. We all go through it, and it's never easy, and knowing you can lean on someone that's done it recently (It has been over 20 years for me) really helps a lot.

Lady is doing much better after some IV hydration and meds and she's eating again.
However, she is now on steroids to try and slow down what they can't quite prove is a tumor without doing a CAT scan or MRI ($). They said their normal x-ray couldn't penetrate her thick damn skull enough to get conclusive evidence there's something there, but they suspect a cranial osteosarcoma or bone cancer maybe in her frontal lobe or sinus cavity.
But, you know, she's old, so what if we did 100% find a tumor; what are we really going to do at that age, right?

So the Prednisone is suppose to help with any and all inflammation in the body, at least until it stops working. Both vets agree she's most likely not in any pain outside of maybe a headache, and as long as she's up and about and eating and drinking, the steroids are working. This is only a stop gap for now, though, and the intense spoiling will commence immediately. She will eat whatever she wants, do whatever she wants, until it is time to leave us. We have already made arrangements with the vet to do a housecall when the time comes; she said just call and she'll be there that night.

So, for now, we love her, more than ever (if that's possible) and let her know we're here for her and not ever going to be alone again. I doubt she'll even go back to that lousy vet's office that she hates (why do all hospitals, regardless of species, smell like that?!).

Thanks again, everyone, and I'm thinking she needs some ice cream tonight when I get home. A vanilla dish from Sonic might do the trick.

Comfort and love is the best medicine for her and you've got that in spades my friend! Glad she's doing better.

A little update:

Really sad to hear about Lady, Sean. She is such a fine pup and I know how hard this is on you and Jennifer. I am just across town if ya need me for anything.

My new avatar. Charlie (the white one) and Tara (the black one).

dogs.jpg

Trying to teach the new pup how to walk on a leash - not so good so far!

cbc37b8f367b2094b493a949bbfc2e0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's been at Grandma's over the last week or so as I've been getting ready to move. I think he's ready…

31b3c0c9acf23e41bb37de5c07aead41.jpg

He's been at Grandma's over the last week or so as I've been getting ready to move. I think he's ready…

That is a look of "Damn you for leaving me here." haha

That is a look of "Damn you for leaving me here." haha
He looks like Benjamin Buford Blue (Bubba)!

He better tuck that thing, or it'll get caught on a trip wire.

He is too much :) Where ya moving to?

He is too much :) Where ya moving to?
Just to a different unit in the same complex. Appears like a whole lot of work with little benefit, but it's a long story, and totally worth it.

Nosiest dog ever? (Watching me load up the car).

060a262322d03054b9d33b623d736cc6.jpg

Boxers are the best Pete! I have had 3 - now have a Shepherd / Boxer mix! Face mostly of a shepherd, combination body wise of both. Temperment, and ability to twist her body in half, of a boxer. I'll have to get a picture up!

Pork loin is in the oven and someone thinks that putting on her best face will possibly get her some.
d7753921d37c80c329813200975f98a6.jpg

I work from home, this is part of my daily routine
3dde66ed124a7d095f9aa7e7c9974ba7.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

He looks like Benjamin Buford Blue (Bubba)!

He better tuck that thing, or it'll get caught on a trip wire.

I almost spit my drink all over the keyboard. Amazing caption for a better picture lol.

59bb53a52c1a16abdc77fb8d2f3d1e0e.jpg

Watching a little Pebble Beach Pro-am with my buddy

59bb53a52c1a16abdc77fb8d2f3d1e0e.jpg

Watching a little Pebble Beach Pro-am with my buddy
Nice I thought you had a little Canadian Tuxedo action going on at first glance...

Lucy had to go to the Puppy dentist today. It was like she was drunk. Poor pup kept licking her nose. I think it was because she couldn't feel her race.
216052cddb54ac19d6af2f6c66813fed.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Its -20 wind chill and our baby wont go out to poop lol she takes a few steps then just pauses and holds one paw in the air. Its the cutest / saddest thing ever haha we hav little boots but she hates them. May have to try and force them on so she'll go.

The puppies curled up on mommy.

7ebad761692669b8dd640a091e21e5d7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back