The Photography Thread

My Christmas gift to my wife was uploading all of our old digital pictures to our new computer.

2002-2012 uploaded to the iMac and uploaded to google for sharing. The next project will be to scan the highlights
from our boxes of pictures.

I think this is the favorite picture I have taken. . .no adjustments have been made. It is a scan of a print, and I am a 36 handicap of photography:laugh::laugh:

Umm, how do I decrease the size of a picture??

Claire%2BNov%2B1998.jpg width="400"

Do you have photo software that you are using? If so I imagine you should be able to resize with it. If not then Google photo resize app and should be able to find a free app that works for you.

Okay photographer folks. I need some advice. Like many I've been using my iPhone for photos and video. Once in awhile though I want really high-quality pictures, or the ability to reach out to the kids playing a sport. My point-and-shoot is a great little camera, but doesn't quite fit the bill for those situations.

So what to get? There is an unbelievable variety of dale cameras. Last time I used a SLR was an old Pentax film K-1000. I loved it. Really simple. The viewfinder had a needle in a window and you would see how your setting changes would impact your picture + or -. Autofocus then was the stuff of Star Wars.

Looking now, there's so much new....AF, continuous AF, mirror-less, full-frame, MFT, APS-C formats, image stabilization and Electronic View Finders. A LOT of options. Price is an issue, but as always, I'd pay more for something with longevity and an upgrade path.

Of what I've learned, here are my thoughts of what I think I want.

1) high still pic quality. That's sort of the point right.
2) video capability. There will be times...
3) EVF. Why? Well, I like the idea of seeing exactly what your shooting and the I really like the in view-finder info. That seems like a great aid to learning, but also a fun and fulfilling tool.
4) easy to use controls. By easy I don't mean few, or lots of auto modes. That's good too. I mean, having the most important, most used options easy to access and use. Useable without taking eye away from viewfinder if possible.
5) quality lenses and an upgrade path

Problem with some of the above is that quality EVFs seem uncommon except in high-end cameras. I think the idea of faster and easier to maintain qualities of mirror-less cameras makes sense, but options in enthusiast grade cameras still seem immature. Beginner DSLRs seems to have crude controls and heavy reliance on complicated menus. If controls aren't easy to use, I won't use them. In-camera stabilization seems to make sense too, but I don't see evidence of cost-savings in the prices

So....what do you think. There are some new cameras that seem to fit the bill like the Olympus OMD-EM1, but I'm not sure how I feel about the MFT format. There are quality entry-level cameras like a Nikon d3200, but I hear the included kit lenses are mediocre quality. Lots of nuances like that out there.

Any thoughts advice? Maybe I should give mirror-less another year or two? But then of course, the kids will be two-years older....

What do you think?

Okay photographer folks. I need some advice. Like many I've been using my iPhone for photos and video. Once in awhile though I want really high-quality pictures, or the ability to reach out to the kids playing a sport. My point-and-shoot is a great little camera, but doesn't quite fit the bill for those situations.

So what to get? There is an unbelievable variety of dale cameras. Last time I used a SLR was an old Pentax film K-1000. I loved it. Really simple. The viewfinder had a needle in a window and you would see how your setting changes would impact your picture + or -. Autofocus then was the stuff of Star Wars.

Looking now, there's so much new....AF, continuous AF, mirror-less, full-frame, MFT, APS-C formats, image stabilization and Electronic View Finders. A LOT of options. Price is an issue, but as always, I'd pay more for something with longevity and an upgrade path.

Of what I've learned, here are my thoughts of what I think I want.

1) high still pic quality. That's sort of the point right.
2) video capability. There will be times...
3) EVF. Why? Well, I like the idea of seeing exactly what your shooting and the I really like the in view-finder info. That seems like a great aid to learning, but also a fun and fulfilling tool.
4) easy to use controls. By easy I don't mean few, or lots of auto modes. That's good too. I mean, having the most important, most used options easy to access and use. Useable without taking eye away from viewfinder if possible.
5) quality lenses and an upgrade path

Problem with some of the above is that quality EVFs seem uncommon except in high-end cameras. I think the idea of faster and easier to maintain qualities of mirror-less cameras makes sense, but options in enthusiast grade cameras still seem immature. Beginner DSLRs seems to have crude controls and heavy reliance on complicated menus. If controls aren't easy to use, I won't use them. In-camera stabilization seems to make sense too, but I don't see evidence of cost-savings in the prices

So....what do you think. There are some new cameras that seem to fit the bill like the Olympus OMD-EM1, but I'm not sure how I feel about the MFT format. There are quality entry-level cameras like a Nikon d3200, but I hear the included kit lenses are mediocre quality. Lots of nuances like that out there.

Any thoughts advice? Maybe I should give mirror-less another year or two? But then of course, the kids will be two-years older....

What do you think?

I doubt I'll be popular with a lot of people, but I say Sony A7. A7II is just coming out so A7 can be had for a decent price. Largest advantage being full framed.

This is all based on reviews over the three month period before buying my camera (my goal was to spend less than $800, so different price point than some of the cameras you mentioned). I would suggest taking some time to research into it though. I think when it comes to mirrorless right now, there's not much better.

Speedliner, It all depends on much money you want to spend and how serious you are. Do you want to use the camera preset settings to take your pictures or do you want to use manual, aperture, shutter and do all the adjustments yourself? The Sony mirrorless are quite new and won't comment on them as I have no experience with one. I have used Nikon DSLR for over 10 years and my D3100 is still one of the highest quality with point & shoot settings that you can get below $400.00. If you want to spend the money I highly recommend the D7100 but like Golf Ghost said" Research it well and take your time deciding". There are so many brands and models available but I would stick to Canon, Nikon or possibly Sony as they do produce photos of excellent quality and lots of lenses are available for the first two brands. My Nikons have come with great lenses but check the reviews to find out alot of information on them.

Don't be afraid to look used, in all my years of buying cameras I've bought 1 brand new. Stick with the big companies and you'll be fine. KEH, B&H, Adorama just to name a few.

Thanks guys. I am researching. There are so many options. Going to take awhile. I really like the small and lightweight form factor of the micro four-thirds cameras, but they're so,different from my expectations going in...

APS-C looks like a nice compromise, but so much is in the processing and glass quality.

Anyway, fun to research, but thought I'd solicit some experience. So much info out there and really hard to discern what's really relevant, or a significant delta, or what will be most important to me at this point.

Buying an affordable camera to learn on and maybe upgrade makes sense, but I'd hate to invest in lenses and want to change platforms one day, so trying to get it right out of the box. I thought I'd want a full-frame, but they are so big and heavy, I don't know now.

Thanks for the comments on the Sony A7. In fact I liked the a6000 a lot and thought it could be a great starter, with A7, or Awhatever is next as an upgrade. Do you find the Sony lens ecosystem limiting at all?

Lots to learn.

If video is a serious consideration, look at the Canons. Unlike many, I like both Canon and Nikon, but the video features on the Canons outclass the Nikons quite a bit with autofocus. So much so that we traded in our glass and made the switch.

If stills are the use, I still think Nikon is the way to go.

Cannon. I have the t2i In my opinion it shoots the best quality hd video. Everything from 25-60 fps. It's also priced very reasonably. With any camera you are going to have to get a new lens, and those are what cost a lot.

Thanks guys. I am researching. There are so many options. Going to take awhile. I really like the small and lightweight form factor of the micro four-thirds cameras, but they're so,different from my expectations going in...

APS-C looks like a nice compromise, but so much is in the processing and glass quality.

Anyway, fun to research, but thought I'd solicit some experience. So much info out there and really hard to discern what's really relevant, or a significant delta, or what will be most important to me at this point.

Buying an affordable camera to learn on and maybe upgrade makes sense, but I'd hate to invest in lenses and want to change platforms one day, so trying to get it right out of the box. I thought I'd want a full-frame, but they are so big and heavy, I don't know now.

Thanks for the comments on the Sony A7. In fact I liked the a6000 a lot and thought it could be a great starter, with A7, or Awhatever is next as an upgrade. Do you find the Sony lens ecosystem limiting at all?

Lots to learn.

There is an adaptor to have Canon EF mounted lenses on the Sony A7, A7R and A7S mirrorless series.

Let me begin by admitting that I am a Nikon bigot. ;)

I have a Nikon D3100 and I love it. It has all the features you need and could last you a lifetime. The current version is the D3300. Kit comes with a good 18-55 zoom. Get yourself a low light lens like a 35 or 50 1.8 and you'll be able to capture almost any image you want.

I don't know much about the Canon line, but I'm sure they have comparable offerings. Either company can meet your needs with quality products.

One camera I am intrigued with is the Nikon J series. Smaller cameras with interchangeable lenses makes it a lot easier to tote your gear around. If I mention that to my wife she'll go ballistic though.

Good luck!

I have the Nikon d3100 love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of my wants once I get my yearly bonus is a nice dslr. Looking at the canons for the video. Not that big into photography at the moment but looking for a hobby outside of golf and my wife is always taking pics so I know she will enjoy having a nice camera.

One of my wants once I get my yearly bonus is a nice dslr. Looking at the canons for the video. Not that big into photography at the moment but looking for a hobby outside of golf and my wife is always taking pics so I know she will enjoy having a nice camera.

Cannot go wrong with a Canon dude. Eo7 is an amazing camera as well as the rebel series. Picking one up used can save a bunch as the new ones can be pricey

Cannot go wrong with a Canon dude. Eo7 is an amazing camera as well as the rebel series. Picking one up used can save a bunch as the new ones can be pricey

thanks...just starting the research as I have roughly 1 1/2 - 2 months before bonus shows up.

thanks...just starting the research as I have roughly 1 1/2 - 2 months before bonus shows up.

Lots of time to read reviews, the prices will be a bit more reasonable then as well. Good luck in the search

Making the Switch from a Nikon D7000 to a Canon 6D with a 24-105 f/4L and i love it.

Just gotta get rid of my Nikon stuff before i can get more Canon gear.

Making the Switch from a Nikon D7000 to a Canon 6D with a 24-105 f/4L and i love it.

Buddy of mine has the same setup as well and he really likes it too.

What Nikon gear do you have?

Nothing golf related going on around here with 3 feet of snow on the ground but since the sun was out I took a ride just to get out. You know it's been cold out when today's high of 18*F felt warm and this Redtailed Hawk was soaking up the heat in the top of the tree as long as the crows left him alone.

IMG_4739-Edit_zpshj1noiew.jpg

If you're interested in parting the kit, I may be interested in the 24mm. (my next body purchase will be a full frame)

Just picked up a Tamron 18-270 with the VC. Looking forward to playing with it tomorrow.

Just picked up a Tamron 18-270 with the VC. Looking forward to playing with it tomorrow.

When I made the switch from Sony to Canon that is the lens I bought to cover all the lengths as I knew it would be a while before I could start my " L " lens collection. I still have it but don't use it much anymore but it does make for a great travel lens. It is a quality lens that I'm sure you will enjoy.

Just picked up a Nikon D750 and a Nikon 24-70 f/2.8..... Full frame is like a whole new world coming from a D90 and DX lenses.

Back