The Plant Based Diet

if this is what plant based diets are becoming, count me the f—k out. what the actual s—t is going on here?!

3E14FE09-990B-4110-B4C9-7A6E37139D32.jpeg

the flavor of this beyond burger better be beyond the way it looks. it’s on deck for tomorrow’s dinner.

if this is what plant based diets are becoming, count me the f—k out. what the actual s—t is going on here?!

View attachment 8914648

the flavor of this beyond burger better be beyond the way it looks. it’s on deck for tomorrow’s dinner.

It does taste better than it looks, but it has an... interesting smell when it's raw. Just a heads up.

I tried the Beyond Sausage sandwich at Dunkin Donuts and it was good. I think the sweet spot for the current products is fast food. It competes well with pre-made burgers and the like but doesn't come close to buying good ground beef at a butcher or something.

I think the impossible stuff is closer, and I believe that will be available outside of restaurants soon. I've had a few burgers at restaurants made with it and they were legitimately good, and there's a vegetarian place that makes a meatball sub with them and they're honestly better than a lot of the meatball subs from local sub shops.

this

819ECD0E-6839-49A6-9668-1D4FFFAA3135.jpeg

was

07465063-BCD1-4954-9012-38C39012D0E8.jpeg

disgusting

93C8F491-674C-4FB9-BD6C-2186FEBB968D.jpeg

i ate it because i was hungry, but it had such an off putting flavor. not like a burger. the texture was close enough but the flavor was so bad. i’m out. there are great vegetarian options for the meals. but this was terrible.

this

View attachment 8914711

was

View attachment 8914712

disgusting

View attachment 8914713

i ate it because i was hungry, but it had such an off putting flavor. not like a burger. the texture was close enough but the flavor was so bad. i’m out. there are great vegetarian options for the meals. but this was terrible.

I wouldn’t argue that. I’d also just prefer a black bean based veggie burger. The Beyond Meat stuff in my opinion is still too early to me a great alternative. It’s extremely high in sodium and extremely processed. I think the idea is a step in the right direction, but after trying it 2-3 times, I see no reason for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t argue that. I’d also just prefer a black bean based veggie burger. The Beyond Meat stuff in my opinion is still too early to me a great alternative. It’s extremely high in sodium and extremely processed. I think the idea is a step in the right direction, but after trying it 2-3 times, I see no reason for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are highly processed and have the same amounts of saturated fat that comes from coconut oil(worse for you than animal fat, IMO).

I think these vegetarian meats will do well in the marketplace but I‘ve tried the Impossible burger and won’t be one theIr consumers. I’m not sure these meat alternatives help solve the very real obesity problem as it will take a lifestyle change for tens of millions of Americans to move that needle.

Last edited:
They are highly processed and have the same amounts of saturated fat that comes from coconut oil(worse for you than animal fat, IMO).

I think these vegetarian meats will do well in the marketplace but I won’t be one theIr consumers.

That’s why I think fast food is the place where these can make inroads. In terms of “healthiness” they are closer to that quality meat right now.

Lab-grown meat will probably end up replacing these types of things in the future because then you get the “real” thing but without a lot of the environmental impact.

I’m with @Golf Ghost - I really like a black bean burger over one of these.

That does not look appetizing at all in the package, in the pan, and on the plate.

Haven’t tried it yet.

i wanted to try it out or curiosity. but, NEVER again.

I have been a vegetarian for over 12 years and I would not consume the “Healthy” Version of fake meat. These look a lot worse for you than actual meat.

I have been a vegetarian for over 12 years and I would not consume the “Healthy” Version of fake meat. These look a lot worse for you than actual meat.
Does it smell like band-aids?

We started selling the “Beyond Meat” burger a while back. Comes down to Pea Protein 1/3# burgers that are going for 6.99 a 2 pack. That’s the raw “burger” not finished product. I never thought they’d sell. I was wrong. They were going so fast I checked the inventory to make sure some hippie wasn’t stealing them. None were.

I was upset. I wanted to punch a hippie.

I think these vegetarian meats will do well in the marketplace but I‘ve tried the Impossible burger and won’t be one theIr consumers. I’m not sure these meat alternatives help solve the very real obesity problem as it will take a lifestyle change for tens of millions of Americans to move that needle.

I listened to a podcast about the impossible meat how it came to be and why. I found it very interesting but disingenuous. They say they are trying to solve hunger issues and food shortages and environmental impacts of raising beef. Yet it is WAY more expensive than beef...

It really is just a high priced option for hipsters that feel eating something with a face is bad...

I listened to a podcast about the impossible meat how it came to be and why. I found it very interesting but disingenuous. They say they are trying to solve hunger issues and food shortages and environmental impacts of raising beef. Yet it is WAY more expensive than beef...

It really is just a high priced option for hipsters that feel eating something with a face is bad...

Believe me, I know the hipster woke type having lived in California for 20 years. It's refreshing to now have more neighbors that hunt than are vegans, lol.

Believe me, I know the hipster woke type having lived in California for 20 years. It's refreshing to now have more neighbors that hunt than are vegans, lol.

Haha. I am being over taken by CA transplants.

Haha. I am being over taken by CA transplants.

Lol, Several of my CA neighbors moved 70 miles up the hill to the NV side of Lake Tahoe recently. My buddy that I'm staying with in Phoenix this weekend is a lifelong Californian and is maybe the least woke person I've ever met. He is so happy to be in AZ after living in CA for 56 years.

Haven't watched, but listened to an interview with Wilks and some things were fishy on what he reported pre/post diet change. Listened to some other things than came across this article. It is biased as all things are, but the items that got me were that both Cameron and Arnold have companies that produce/sell vegan products.

Haven't read all of it, but just food for thought on those interested in a discussion.

Great article & thanks for posting! I would love to teach a HS science course about how to understand & unpack research articles, difference between correlation & causation, epidemiology studies, etc. I figure helping people develop better BS detectors is an important life skill.

My wife has moved to plant based and I have cut back extremely on my consumption of meat. I think the alternatives that are coming from companies like Beyond and Impossible are great because options are fantastic.

Regardless of your stance, factory farming is an atrocity and we should be doing more to consume an appropriate amount of resources.

I'll have to give this a view when I get some time. I don't foresee ever being able to go to a vegan lifestyle, but my wife and I have been trying to have a few days a week where we don't rely on it for our main protein source.

I realized the other day that I am programmed to think I need to eat meat for dinner. I had some veggies that were going to go bad soon and I wanted to cook them but I didn’t have any meat defrosted and I kept thinking I was screwed for dinner. Then it dawned on me, why can’t I just cook the veggies without meat?

So, I think I might start doing a few more veggie based meals. I am not looking to be A vegetarian or a vegan (that will never happen unless a doctor told me I needed to do that or I would die), but I think a few nights of meatless meals is in my future.

I realized the other day that I am programmed to think I need to eat meat for dinner. I had some veggies that were going to go bad soon and I wanted to cook them but I didn’t have any meat defrosted and I kept thinking I was screwed for dinner. Then it dawned on me, why can’t I just cook the veggies without meat?

So, I think I might start doing a few more veggie based meals. I am not looking to be A vegetarian or a vegan (that will never happen unless a doctor told me I needed to do that or I would die), but I think a few nights of meatless meals is in my future.

That's how we started. We went to 2 meat meals be per to now 2 per month.

I'm not an advocate for being a vegetarian and would never call myself one. I think people should eat what they feel they need. However, I do think eating less meat is easier than a lot think when thinking of subtracting some meat from their diet.

I've been watching a very interesting video on Netflix right now, "The Game Changers" and it's pretty fascinating.

Here's some info on what the movie is about;

As a combatives instructor for the US military (including the US Marines, US Army Rangers, and US Navy SEALs), as well as a former UFC fighter, I see the human body as a powerful machine with the potential for excellence in many areas, including strength, speed, stamina, and recovery. Until I got badly injured while training, I never thought this potential had much to do with food, which I saw mainly as just calories and protein.

But, unable to train for six months after my injury, I started researching the optimal diet for recovery and stumbled across a study about the Roman gladiators which concluded that they ate little or no meat. This seemed really far-fetched to me since I was confident that animal protein was necessary to build muscle, sustain energy levels, and recover from injury. So I flew to Austria to meet the researchers who made this discovery and left convinced that the gladiators — known at the time as Hordearii, or “the Barley Men” — really did train and compete on a plant-based diet.

This shocking discovery launched me on a five-year quest for the Truth in Nutrition, modeled after Bruce Lee's Truth in Combat philosophy: "Research your own experience, absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is specifically your own.” Beginning with this mindset, I put every preconception I had about nutrition to the test, traveling to four continents to meet with dozens of the world’s strongest, fastest, and toughest athletes, as well as leading experts on athletics, nutrition, and anthropology.

What I discovered was so revolutionary, with such profound implications for human performance and health — and even the future of the planet itself — that I had to share it with the world.

It's a very intriguing take on what humans were designed for, how performance athletes take on a plant based diet (and their increased energy levels), and the health benefits. Honestly, it's the first time I've even considered such a lifestyle, but I'm definitely fascinated by it.

Anyone else watch this, or subscribe to a plant based diet? Would love to see some thoughts on it.
I haven't seen the film yet but it's high on my list. I think the plant based diet has a lot of merit but from what I have heard the film itself focuses a lot on anecdotal stories and not large studies based on statistics and controlling for other factors. Studying diet is extremely difficult as you need decades of data, every person has a different genetic makeup, and there are tons of external factors that affect the results. As a scientist I don't put much weight in documentaries but I am very intrigued to learn more about the diet from scientifically backed sources.

All of that said there is no question that a plant based diet is hugely beneficial to the environment and the welfare of animals. Both are huge issues that we need to confront. For those reasons alone I have been seriously cutting back on my meat in take with no noticeable difference in physical or mental performance.

Back