The SkyTrak+ Launch Monitor

Well??? Did UPS bring anything special today?

Only could happen to a Fuffle.

Seems an adult has to sign for the package. Great, three people home so all is good. 😂

Wife was on the 💩, both kids had their earphones on, and I have video of the dog just sitting there watching the delivery guy knocking on the door with my Skytrak+.

5mins later I get an update saying will try again tomorrow.

Common. I just have to 🤦‍♂️

Oh dang!!

Seems an adult has to sign for the package. Great, three people home so all is good. 😂

Wife was on the 💩, both kids had their earphones on, and I have video of the dog just sitting there watching the delivery guy knocking on the door with my Skytrak+.

C’mon man!!!

That's brutal

Who else has received the SkyTrak+ already? What are the good, bad and ugly thoughts?

Who else has received the SkyTrak+ already? What are the good, bad and ugly thoughts?
Mine came in the other day but I haven’t had time to set it up and check it out yet. I’ll post some thoughts when I have time, likely over the weekend I hope.

Mine came in the other day but I haven’t had time to set it up and check it out yet. I’ll post some thoughts when I have time, likely over the weekend I hope.
Selfish.

I don’t mean to be but my garage needs some cleaning out. I’ve had a few construction projects going on. And if it helps, I’m disappointed in myself…

• Appreciation
Reactions: J4U
IT HAS ARRIVED!!!

IMG_0286.jpeg

After all the anticipation, I finally got my hands on the Skytrak+ last night.

I will post a bunch of reviews and range time over the next couple weeks, but wanted to get something out real quickly.

Some good and some bad.

Maybe it was because I couldn’t start setting up until around 10pm, but the setup was a bit frustrating last night. Hopefully, this helps others from my issues.

The Skytrak+ has a similar setup to the OG, but my mistake was trying to setup the new unit on my iPad first. That was a mistake. I tried plugging in the unit and I tried to setup via direct/network modes using the Skytrak+ Wi-Fi.

First issue: the Skytrak+ Wi-Fi is password protected. And you guessed it, there is no mention ANYWHERE of what the password is. Not on the machine, not in a booklet/instructions, not on the website, or even in my dashboard after I registered the device. I started just randomly typing things like my password, the SN, the registration, the word Skytrak, the word Skytrak+. Nothing worked.

Since it was now after 11pm I was about to give up, then thought maybe I could connect the unit to my desktop. I used the very nice two feature wire that came with the unit to plug both the unit to the computer and power the unit at the same time.

IMG_0289.jpeg

BINGO!!

The Skytrak+ picture pops up and says downloading a new firmware. After a couple mins, a new icon in the setup has the ST+ listed and bam there is the password.

SKYTRAKPLUS. Common, I tried a million different variations and didn’t think to spell it all out. Dumb on my part.

Now, we are in business. I connect the Skytrak+ and the range is available, but that brings me up to my second issue.

Second issue: The registration will not recognize I already paid for the game improvement plan which doesn’t expire till 4/4/24. So, the pop up, which is very annoying, keeps coming up that my “trial” will end in 29 days. Skytrak/Golftec, really you only get a 30 day trial period after purchasing a $3000 LM when other units give the first year free? Anyway. I still can’t get my new unit to register for the Game Improvement plan, so none of those features are available, not can I use the simulator for TGC2019 at this time. I did send an email last night, but surprised you have to do that.

Now the good.

The unit looks to capture everything quickly. No misreads, and my one son hit sone really bad shots as he just started learning golf.

I will post a quick video of the delay next and have many more thoughts and video coming.

edit: Skytrak answered my email quickly this morning and they added the game improvement plan on my unit, so once I get home from work I should be able to test with TGC2019

Last edited:
Quick 11 second video showing the delay.

I timed it to be about 2.3 seconds roughly. I do feel this is quicker than my OG unit, but it was late and I didn’t get a chance to test that out. Will do soon

I love seeing the calculations and club details. path in relation to face angle.

Quick 11 second video showing the delay.

I timed it to be about 2.3 seconds roughly. I do feel this is quicker than my AOG unit, but it was late and I didn’t get a chance to test that out. Will do soon

I love seeing the calculations and club details. path in relation to face angle.

I am for sure!

I have some questions:
1. How much placement finagling did the + unit require to get good shots vs the OG? (I had to angle my OG about 5° to the left to get good results)
2. How do the numbers compare between the + and the OG? (I guess based on history, as I can not see a way to run both at the same time)
3. Was it worth the $1000 more vs the OG and if so, why?

I have some questions:
1. How much placement finagling did the + unit require to get good shots vs the OG? (I had to angle my OG about 5° to the left to get good results)
I'm curious here too. They said it was more a QC alignment of the camera in the OG as to the variances between different unit's.

This is one of the focus points with the plus. They wanted a better consistency during the manufacturing process.

I have some questions:
2. How do the numbers compare between the + and the OG? (I guess based on history, as I can not see a way to run both at the same time)
3. Was it worth the $1000 more vs the OG and if so, why?

All great questions.

Give me the weekend to fully test the unit in doors to start to fully answer properly.

I finally had time to get my SkyTrak + set up this weekend. I also noticed that it appears that my plan is still tied to my old unit but I'm guessing a couple emails and that should transfer over, hopefully that won't be an issue.

I had the OG unit since late 2018 so I had a lot of time with it (it shows 47033 shots) and a few small issues that actually appear a bit bigger now that I've had some time with the new unit. I always felt like it had a draw/pull bias and tried angling the unit to the right to "fix" that issue. One of my friends, who is much better than I am, also felt like he could not hit a fade on the old unit.

So fast forward to Saturday afternoon, I hit 40-50 shots to get used to the new unit and found the accuracy, as near as I could tell, to be much better. If a shot was going right, it went right. If that shot was pulled it showed the same and I didn't have a single swing that didn't get read. I thought that was awesome and obviously all of the extra data seemed to match up with what I was feeling, good or.... well not so good. Bonus points for SkyTrak, alignment was basically perfect from the time I set it down and all I really did was eyeball it. It could be a couple degrees off but I didn't have to fiddle with it to feel like it was reading shots pretty much as they should have been.

My buddy came over later and hit a ton of iron shots. His response was similar to mine in that every time he said he hit a perfect shot it was reflected in the display. Any thin shots, or shots he thought were going right or left did what was expected and from that perspective he felt like it was a much better tool for practice.

One thing that we were both surprised by was the change in spin from trying different balls. He plays Pro V's and he was trying to get shots in the green on the launch/spin/decent but kept coming up a little short on spin. I had a Tour BXS from a few years ago sitting around and let him try that. Instant jump in spin. Now, I don't know where the optimal launch/spin/decent come from but he was launching higher for the most part, spinning a bit less in some cases (less so with the BXS), and his decent angle was a bit steep. He had a ton of fun trying to hit all three in the zone.

I on the other hand seemed to launch about right, spin way less and come in a bit shallow on decent. It's pretty interesting and I'm sure I'll spend way too much time this winter trying to improve those numbers.

All in all, I'm pretty excited to dive deeper into this and figure out what all is possible with the new SkyTrak. So far I would say it is a big step forward from the original and while I didn't have too many issues with the OG, this seems better from a small sample size.

I finally had time to get my SkyTrak + set up this weekend. I also noticed that it appears that my plan is still tied to my old unit but I'm guessing a couple emails and that should transfer over, hopefully that won't be an issue.

I had the OG unit since late 2018 so I had a lot of time with it (it shows 47033 shots) and a few small issues that actually appear a bit bigger now that I've had some time with the new unit. I always felt like it had a draw/pull bias and tried angling the unit to the right to "fix" that issue. One of my friends, who is much better than I am, also felt like he could not hit a fade on the old unit.

So fast forward to Saturday afternoon, I hit 40-50 shots to get used to the new unit and found the accuracy, as near as I could tell, to be much better. If a shot was going right, it went right. If that shot was pulled it showed the same and I didn't have a single swing that didn't get read. I thought that was awesome and obviously all of the extra data seemed to match up with what I was feeling, good or.... well not so good. Bonus points for SkyTrak, alignment was basically perfect from the time I set it down and all I really did was eyeball it. It could be a couple degrees off but I didn't have to fiddle with it to feel like it was reading shots pretty much as they should have been.

My buddy came over later and hit a ton of iron shots. His response was similar to mine in that every time he said he hit a perfect shot it was reflected in the display. Any thin shots, or shots he thought were going right or left did what was expected and from that perspective he felt like it was a much better tool for practice.

One thing that we were both surprised by was the change in spin from trying different balls. He plays Pro V's and he was trying to get shots in the green on the launch/spin/decent but kept coming up a little short on spin. I had a Tour BXS from a few years ago sitting around and let him try that. Instant jump in spin. Now, I don't know where the optimal launch/spin/decent come from but he was launching higher for the most part, spinning a bit less in some cases (less so with the BXS), and his decent angle was a bit steep. He had a ton of fun trying to hit all three in the zone.

I on the other hand seemed to launch about right, spin way less and come in a bit shallow on decent. It's pretty interesting and I'm sure I'll spend way too much time this winter trying to improve those numbers.

All in all, I'm pretty excited to dive deeper into this and figure out what all is possible with the new SkyTrak. So far I would say it is a big step forward from the original and while I didn't have too many issues with the OG, this seems better from a small sample size.

Awesome feedback. It's much appreciated.

2BAC0669-0CC5-468C-B86E-E2D8FF10C432.jpeg

This is what I’m talking about with the launch/spin/decent numbers. This is one of my better 8 iron shots. A lot to work on but to have some sort of guidance is very cool.

Just a quick edit, this was with my backup clubs that I haven't played for about a year. I generally leave my gamers at the course and while I have no idea if it will make a difference I'm excited to bring my gamers home and hit with them because I feel like they've been better for me and I would rather practice with them.

Last edited:
Nice (y). As with other LMs, there are growing pains, such as getting 3rd party software to interface properly, but I read they finally figured out how to interface with TGC2019. That is good. Now we just need some enterprising soul to figure out how to do an API interface with GSPro (my favorite, YMMV) like with the Skytrak OP.

View attachment 9185811

This is what I’m talking about with the launch/spin/decent numbers. This is one of my better 8 iron shots. A lot to work on but to have some sort of guidance is very cool.

Just a quick edit, this was with my backup clubs that I haven't played for about a year. I generally leave my gamers at the course and while I have no idea if it will make a difference I'm excited to bring my gamers home and hit with them because I feel like they've been better for me and I would rather practice with them.
This feedback is begging me to pull the trigger. What space are using in the above picture?

Back