The Slow Cooker Thread

I've never owned a slowcooker - I always just go the route of a dutch oven, in the oven as low as I need it to go. Can't give up any more counterspace to unitaskers!

I've never owned a slowcooker - I always just go the route of a dutch oven, in the oven as low as I need it to go. Can't give up any more counterspace to unitaskers!

I didn't discover the slow cooker until my late 20's. It really does make things easier, but I get the counter top space. I don't keep mine out, it is stored in a cabinet. I can't stand clutter on the counters, I keep everything stored in cabinets.

I didn't discover the slow cooker until my late 20's. It really does make things easier, but I get the counter top space. I don't keep mine out, it is stored in a cabinet. I can't stand clutter on the counters, I keep everything stored in cabinets.
This is my constant battle with my kitchen gizmo obsession, living in a small apartment.

However - real and not trying to be abrasive question: other than if you need your oven to cook a turkey or something so you need a separate slow-cooking device, why do people use a slow cooker when things slow cooked in the oven are at the very least the same, or in a number of cases, better?

This study really sold me: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt on Slowcookers

This is my constant battle with my kitchen gizmo obsession, living in a small apartment.

However - real and not trying to be abrasive question: other than if you need your oven to cook a turkey or something so you need a separate slow-cooking device, why do people use a slow cooker when things slow cooked in the oven are at the very least the same, or in a number of cases, better?

This study really sold me: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt on Slowcookers

Because people don't like to leave their house with the oven going all day and you can leave the slow cooker running on your counter while you aren't home. And the oven heats up the house, the slow cooker doesn't.

Because people don't like to leave their house with the oven going all day and you can leave the slow cooker running on your counter while you aren't home. And the oven heats up the house, the slow cooker doesn't.
It's funny - I have more hesitancy leaving my place with my sous vide plugged in compared to my oven running all day while I'm in the office. A $50-$100 gizmo to me just doesn't seem as safe as a $1,000 oven but I understand the notion - my parents would never leave the house with the oven on.

My wife uses the slow cooler at least once a week because of the kids schedules. Some of the dinners are meh, but some of them are really good. @GolferGal she makes a matzo ball soup that has a hint of lemon in it and it is phenomenal. I'll ask her tonight for the recipe and share with the class.

My wife uses the slow cooler at least once a week because of the kids schedules. Some of the dinners are meh, but some of them are really good. @GolferGal she makes a matzo ball soup that has a hint of lemon in it and it is phenomenal. I'll ask her tonight for the recipe and share with the class.

I would love that recipe, thank you! Especially with passover coming up.

I would love that recipe, thank you! Especially with passover coming up.
If you don't mind a little lemon, which I think gives it a whole different dimension, then I think you will find it a hit. Otherwise, if you want a more traditional flavor profile, cut down on the lemon. I just texted her, so I will report back.

If you don't mind a little lemon, which I think gives it a whole different dimension, then I think you will find it a hit. Otherwise, if you want a more traditional flavor profile, cut down on the lemon. I just texted her, so I will report back.

I actually think a little lemon would be really good. Like a mix between Matzo ball soup and Greek lemon soup, that’s what I am imagining at least.

And let me just say so it doesn’t get lost, that pork tenderloin recipe is ridiculously good, I highly recommend it. I roasted up some potatoes and Brussels sprouts that I had in the house.

Love the slow cooker. My wife makes excellent chili and pulled pork in ours.

Matzo Ball Soup:

For the chicken:
  • 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast tenders
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

For the soup:
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
  • 3 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 very large onion, finely diced
  • 8 cloves garlic, minced
  • Big pinch of salt
  • 64 ounces of chicken stock (or chicken bone broth)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cups noodles of your choice (we use ditalini)
  • Juice of 1 lemon, plus more for serving
  • 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped, or a few shakes of dry to taste.
For the Matzo Balls:
  • Manischewitz matzo ball mix
Instructions:

1. Drizzle chicken with oil and then cover in spices. Saute/brown or roast chicken, then set aside.
  2. Add soup oil, celery, carrots, onion and garlic to pot and sauté lightly or sweat vegetables.
  3. Then add chicken, salt, chicken stock, bay leaf and dill to the slow cooker and let simmer/cook on low to medium for a while, we usually do it for about 3 hours, sometimes 4. Do not add the noodles, lemon and matzo balls during this step.
  4. About 30 minutes before you are going to serve, add lemon.
  5. We cook the noodles separately. If you add them to the soup in the slow cooker, they absorb all the liquid and you end up with a stew.
  6. Make matzo balls per instructions on box and set aside.
  7. Add noodles to bowl, then matzo ball, then spoon soup over to fill bowl.
That’s how my wife makes it, and it’s great every time. I get that it’s not just a toss in a slow cooker recipe and some of the steps require browning and making noodles and matzo balls separately. But this makes sure they come out perfect every time. I am sure there is a way to get the matzo balls involved in the soup earlier, but when we try they become mushy. This way they stay nice and firm and go perfectly with a little soup. This soup gets a really nice homemade flavor like you were cooking all day.

Back