The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent another hour tonight before dark doing more short game. Had the green to my self, and did a lot of 20-35 yd. Was really happy with how it went. Really haven't had the time lately to practice those shots and its been showing in my game. Did some putting too, focus was on putts with a real hard break, since I've seen a struggle with them lately in misreading greens.

Spent some time at a new range today (it's practically across the street from the school I work at). So good to get back to the self-improvement grind. Hit every club in my bag save for the putter - just focused on full swings and solid contact. Note to self: Work on long irons, they're an Achilles heel at the moment.

Today was Putting day.... SERIOUS Putting day. I learned a lot from my putting coach about triangulation in downhill breaking putts that adhere to gravity as they break. I also learned.... and felt my new putting grip since installing the Super Stroke Fatso on my Niki Method..... Super Quiet Hands. And I learned to always lag across the practice green to get a feel of green speed. And, as with hitting clubs, I learned to have a short, but definite routine. Of 100 putts between 15 and 8 feet, I had 89 one putts and 11 two putts. That's almost 9 of 10 in the hole. Of the 11 two putts, six lipped the hole and all were inside one foot.

Outside 20 feet was a little different. Averaged just under 4 of 5, or 15 out of 20 one putts. The other 5 were two putts.

We'll do it again tomorrow... 2 hour putting class and then play a round on Thursday, after range practice.... weather permitting.

559443_10151756119598401_1620673603_n.jpg

Last edited:
Today was Putting day.... SERIOUS Putting day. I learned a lot from my putting coach about triangulation in downhill breaking putts that adhere to gravity as they break. I also learned.... and felt my new putting grip since installing the Super Stroke Fatso on my Niki Method..... Super Quiet Hands. And I learned to always lag across the practice green to get a feel of green speed. And, as with hitting clubs, I learned to have a short, but definite routine. Of 100 putts between 15 and 8 feet, I had 89 one putts and 11 two putts. That's almost 9 of 10 in the hole. Of the 11 two putts, six lipped the hole and all were inside one foot.

Outside 20 feet was a little different. Averaged just under 4 of 5, or 15 out of 20 one putts. The other 5 were two putts.

We'll do it again tomorrow... 2 hour putting class and then play a round on Thursday, after range practice.... weather permitting.

559443_10151756119598401_1620673603_n.jpg

Were you hitting flat putts the whole time? That's pretty incredible to drop putts like that man, good job. Tour average from 5 to 15 feet is less than 50% I believe and significantly less in the 20 foot range. Good putting dude!

Were you hitting flat putts the whole time? That's pretty incredible to drop putts like that man, good job. Tour average from 5 to 15 feet is less than 50% I believe and significantly less in the 20 foot range. Good putting dude!

That's what I was going to say. With numbers like that, you can dominate the PGA tour.

I had a breakthrough lesson last night! Finally got my hips through the zone correctly. I had been struggling with them stalling which was causing my upper body to take over. Back to the range tonight to make sure it's engrained. Then we will be on to the next correction lol

Yep.... they were fairly flat.... and on a practice green where I putt so often that I can almost count the blades of grass in my sleep. And all pretty much on the same line. After awhile it was like shooting them out of a machine. But... says my coach, that was the point. Repetition.... seeing the same thing over and over and responding in the same way. Had I come at the hole from the other direction, I'd have probably missed, as usual. But... it's actually hard to miss when you know it's 1/2 inch inside the left of the cup and that's where it will go if your ball line crosses the same little paint mark 8 inches in front of it... and your speed is fairly consistent.

Still... I thought the exercise was beneficial... IF I retain what I learned and can eventually eliminate my 3 putts on the course and make more ones.

That's what I was going to say. With numbers like that, you can dominate the PGA tour.

LOL.... sorry for laughing. Even if I could putt like that on the course greens, I'd still have to get on them first. As I said above.... they were pretty much repetition putts; learning to recognize the same line and repeat the same stroke, in pretty much a measured way. Still, I was happy with me, considering the first time I did the same exercise, I had more 3 putts and two putts, and the one putts were what my coach called bonus babies.

Took the boy with me and hit the range for an hour last night. Meh, hit a lot of loopers off to the left. Finally started to get that under control towards the end. Scoring irons were probably where I was strongest. Wasn't really in the mood for some reason.

I picked up a chipping net yesterday to work on distance control and accuracy with my wedges in the back yard. I hit around 100 balls yesterday afternoon to it. I felt like it was good practice and will continue to work on it.

I also bought the callaway swing connect thing that keeps your right arm (right handed golfers) close to your body during your swing. I worked on my swing with it in the back yard for about 10 minutes while using both my wedges for full swings (not hitting balls), and with my SKLZ gold flex.

I'm still using the Gripit Rite and Tour Angle 144. I like them both because they help me with consistency at set up at least. I did not use them in conjunction with the swing connect but will probably do so at the range this week while actually hitting balls to see how they work together.

I'd still like the swinggyde, short/40" sklz gold flex, and the Tour Academy DVD series.

Heading to the range with the g/f daughter. Should be a good time. Going to work on the long game some. Was having some issues with pulls and smothers on the driver. So want to get those worked out along with some work inside 100.

CRW,

What is that tour angle 144? I've seen the ads for it but it's purposefully vague. Is it just a spine angle monitor so to speak?

Correct. It helps me set up with each club the same. It also serves as a reminder for the correct swing plane because if you are off the ta144 will no longer touch your inside forearm. The red arm of the ta144 is soft rubber so you can swing away with it and won't injure yourself.

CRW,

What is that tour angle 144? I've seen the ads for it but it's purposefully vague. Is it just a spine angle monitor so to speak?

I've read a few good reviews on the TA 144. Maybe it could be brought to THP for Forum testing.

I went through 4 buckets of balls today trying to groove this swing change and I'm happy to say I only hit a few cuts out of 250 or so shots. Playing a cut is very bad for me because I have a tendency to turn it into another word that I won't say here. Things are still looking up for me.

I've read a few good reviews on the TA 144. Maybe it could be brought to THP for Forum testing.

I reviewed it on our home page almost two years ago. It's good for encouraging the one peice takeaway & helping with posture. Not as good with the casting imo. I also don't think it does nearly as well with keeping you on plane as the Swingyde.

I reviewed it on our home page almost two years ago. It's good for encouraging the one peice takeaway & helping with posture. Not as good with the casting imo. I also don't think it does nearly as well with keeping you on plane as the Swingyde.

Your review is part of why I bought it. I haven't tried the swing gyde yet, but it's on my list of training aids to buy. It looks to me like the swing gyde works on the top part of your swing plane while the tour angle works on the bottom half. I'd like to use both in conjunction.

Good to hear. I think you have a good point there. They both have pretty specific purposes and could compliment each other, though I'm not sure about at the same time.

Spent an hour on the Vector tonight. I'm freaking worn out. Lower body is sore, which makes me think I must be doing something sort of right. Different muscles than I'm normally use to feeling work.

Had some toe ball hook action going again, but finally broke through it. In the end, it was just a matter of shortening up my back swing. I don't think the actual back swing was the problem, but something about what I was doing there was getting my out of position somewhere along the way. Interestingly enough, I saw a big jump in ball speed when I shortened it up. Go figure. Dispersion improved in a huge way too. Good thing to finish with.

Made it out to the practice green tonight to test out a new putter, a SeeMore FGP Mallet, that was sent to me by T2GRN18. I put it up against my SeeMore M3 (which is my current gamer), just to see which one I liked best. When I first found out about SeeMore from THP, I immediately gravitated toward the FGP Mallet-style head (FGP Mallet, PTM 3, FGP2), but found the M3 on the for sale board first and it was a vast improvement over my old putter. Needless to say, the FGP performed remarkably, and out of roughly 50 putts, I had about 5 fewer than with the M3. I even sank 4 putts outside of 10', which is really exciting for me. I can't wait to get this out on the course and see my score drop along with all of my putts!

Made it out to the practice green tonight to test out a new putter, a SeeMore FGP Mallet, that was sent to me by T2GRN18. I put it up against my SeeMore M3 (which is my current gamer), just to see which one I liked best. When I first found out about SeeMore from THP, I immediately gravitated toward the FGP Mallet-style head (FGP Mallet, PTM 3, FGP2), but found the M3 on the for sale board first and it was a vast improvement over my old putter. Needless to say, the FGP performed remarkably, and out of roughly 50 putts, I had about 5 fewer than with the M3. I even sank 4 putts outside of 10', which is really exciting for me. I can't wait to get this out on the course and see my score drop along with all of my putts!
Some solid results dude! The PTM is a great putter too

I had a good night on the range. Probably hit 150-160 balls working my way from 52 to driver. A handful of mishits here and there as would be expected, but not voluminous. Oddly enough I forgot I had grabbed the 9i and for some reason thought it was a 7i. Hit a shot and it seemed short, so I really went after the ball and got it to sit at the 156yd flag on the range.

Then I realized it was my 9i and went back to aiming at the 145yd flag like normal. A couple months ago my 9i was my 135yd stick. Slowly adjusting. Long irons were really clicking tonight, too. I was able to make smooth swings focusing on speed through the impact zone rather than trying to muscle it with good results that were generally on target. Progress with fairway woods continues since staggering my feet a but to the draw bias.

Driver was solid as well. A few got away from me because, well, it's me hitting a driver. I can only think of two impacts that weren't clean. One out towards the toe and one a little high, but still in the center line of the face. I was able to get that lovely J40 "thwack" we all know and love so much.

All this undoubtedly means I will pay like garbage this weekend. Wish me luck.

Hit the range with the boy for an hour. Good session. Hit some lefties and some not so lefties, so pretty much status quo. Contact was good. Hitting the driver really well and the same with the scoring irons, so hoping I have a chance to use both this weekend.

Didn't have much spare time today but managed to get half hour chipping/pitching from ~30 yards with my 60*...

Up hill about 8ft and down wind (~25mph)..

Last edited:
Spent 45 minutes this morning before work on the pitching/chipping range working on 25 to 75 yard shots with my 60 and 56 degree wedges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back