The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to get out yesterday afternoon for a range/putting session. It was a little cool (low 40s with a lot of wind), but it was nice getting out to hit balls.

The wind was into me on the range, so I was trying to continue working on knock down shots. I'm starting to get the hang of it, and it's fun to see me hitting the same distance with two different clubs. I was able to do it pretty consistently with the PW/9i, and 8i/7i. I have also been able to keep the knock down shots from just becoming a low hook (which was my usual attempt at a "knockdown"). My focus is now on hitting down through the shot instead of getting my hands to turn over.

I must have hit 50 balls total between my 58* and 54* at a green about 80 yards away. The vast majority of the shots hit the green (I maybe missed three balls total), and an awful lot of them were pretty close to the stick. I was really pleased with the results, and I can tell that the brief practice is already starting to pay off. I cannot wait to try this on the course. (I'll probably drop an extra ball or two next time that I am out.)

I putted for about 30min yesterday, and overall I was pleased with the results. If I don't get lazy with my setup, the line is good and the ball is usually around the hole if the putt isn't holed. Everything just feels comfortable right now, which is a key for my putting. The less "mechanical" that I feel, the better.

Spent more than an hour at the practice green today, working on short game shots and getting to know the range of my new wedge. Felt good, but had some trouble getting consistent contact with straight-arm pitching, so went back to using a forward press, and was really able to get the ball in the middle of the club face, get good height and distance control. Once again has me thinking I should be hitting a ball with more spin. But I need to stick with one ball for awhile and get some real consistency. Still, not a bad way to stay ready and get some reps in before I head out to San Pedro tomorrow, a course that has repeatedly taken my lunch money.

Spent more than an hour at the practice green today, working on short game shots and getting to know the range of my new wedge. Felt good, but had some trouble getting consistent contact with straight-arm pitching, so went back to using a forward press, and was really able to get the ball in the middle of the club face, get good height and distance control. Once again has me thinking I should be hitting a ball with more spin. But I need to stick with one ball for awhile and get some real consistency. Still, not a bad way to stay ready and get some reps in before I head out to San Pedro tomorrow, a course that has repeatedly taken my lunch money.

Hey Paladin,
Let me know what condition San Pedro is in. I heard it is back to being ok. Great track even if not the most aesthetically pleasing. #18 can really be fun when windy. Play well. Have you played Sewailo yet? I played it last week. Tough, but really interesting and in awesome condition. Waterfalls, creeks, lakes, fairway bunkers and fast undulating greens.

Will do. I haven't played it since October, I think. The front 9 is great, I think (bear in mind I play Mountain View normally), though I agree the back isn't much to look at. Still, a great value of a golf course.

Haven't played Sweailo, but I rarely get up to Tucson. Think the only track I've played up there was 9 holes at Starr Pass about 6 weeks ago. Stellar golf course, very well kept as well.

Spent a few hours at the range this afternoon just hitting to targets up and down the bag. By the time I had hit 170+ balls I was losing considerable distance but the essentials were still being worked on.

Got a solid hour in on the Birdieball putting green tonight. Worked on getting a consistent strike and roll. Tweaked my takeaway slightly and the ball was rolling really true. Solid black lines all night.

I putted awhile tonight on the birdieball.
Thinking of doing the quest to 100.
Goal of making 100 4 footers in a row.

Think of the confidence come spring!

Also some takeaway drills, wrist release drills, coat hangar swing plane drill.

Hoping to hit the range tomorrow!

Nothing builds confidence like making a bunch of shorter putts like that MS. Any time my putting is in a funk that's the first thing I turn to.

Have to leave work early to get the baby today and during her nap I'm going to get some swing practice in. Xmas forced me to skip most of a week and I hate that. I'm going to focus on the same stuff with the backswing/takeaway.

Hawk, total skim, but are you getting swing practice in with a net or impact bag in your garage or something else?

Hawk, total skim, but are you getting swing practice in with a net or impact bag in your garage or something else?

Right now, all indoors in the garage. If this year is like last, I'll get some days where I can get outdoors locally, or I'll drive 90 minutes to an outdoor heated range.

Set up is a 48x48 mat with a Rukk net and it's pretty damn good. The net is fantastic.

In the past I used the Sim facility, but haven't had to do it this year. It's expensive.

I do have an impact bag too.

I see myself getting a net and mat set up in my garage.. More on this later.

Hit me up if you want recommendations. I've had both good and bad. Don't cheap out on the net. The mat you can get away with, but it will result in more pain.

Hit me up if you want recommendations. I've had both good and bad. Don't cheap out on the net. The mat you can get away with, but it will result in more pain.

I will, grinding starts next week

Had some good practice last night working on reinforcing what I've been being taught. I'm getting better at not helping my back swing with my wrists at the start, but I still sometimes revert and cup my wrist at the top which gets me in a lot of trouble. Working it over and over again slowly trying to build the muscle memory so I can hopefully stop doing that. Working on exercising and stretching more as well as getting in shape is going to help me a ton I know. Slowly but surely.

I just finished up a quick range session in the local golf dome. After some quick messages with Freddie this morning I decided to put into action a couple things we chatted about.

To say I am exited would be an understatement!
I practiced with 8i, 5i, and PW.
I concentrated on not dipping, or over swinging. Also proper grip and grip pressure.
I also checked face impact.

The 8 iron was my favorite today! Every 8 iron I hit was hit pure and to the desired target!
My impact was center face 4th to 6th groove!
Absolutely was killing the Ocho today!

My PW was almost as good. I toed 4 of the 25 shots I took with it resulting in missing my intended target about 10-15 yards right and 10 yards short. My impact was right around 4th groove maybe a bit higher.

My 5i was a little behind the 8 and the PW, but not that far. I started off with a hook, a bad one. I stepped back, got my setup straightened out, then started hitting good shots. I started off a little right of my target (5 or so Yds) which surprised me because my usual miss was a fade. I was able to get my miss today and dial it in within a couple yards!
My impacts were center face to just toe side if center 5th-6th groove.

If my iron play can mimic this range session, and mut some work into my tee game (which towards late in the year was showing some promise) improve putting (which I work on almost every day) and my scores will be dramatically improved in 2014!

Sorry if this ran a tad long...
Have a great day everyone!

That's awesome, good for you!

took a lesson from a pro at my course today.. got me doing some stuff that feels weird, but I am already seeing improvement so I have to believe after a few range sessions of just doing that and not caring what the ball does, I will see some improvement in the swing itself..

took a lesson from a pro at my course today.. got me doing some stuff that feels weird, but I am already seeing improvement so I have to believe after a few range sessions of just doing that and not caring what the ball does, I will see some improvement in the swing itself..
At Merriwether or RedTail?

Played 27 today and then spent another half our on pitches and chips.

Doing work.

I'm out in the bays at work tonight going through the bag at random making swing focusing on my take away keep club face square and pointed at the target longer.

making my shoulder turn complete but stopping it where it need to stop by keeping the flex in my right knee and not allowing my right hip to slide back. This gives me that easy power feel of the coil being twisted/loaded (shoulder/hip separation) as I can feel it in my legs, hips, core. This is by far the hardest thing to date to do and make it stick.

I'm out in the bays at work tonight going through the bag at random making swing focusing on my take away keep club face square and pointed at the target longer.

making my shoulder turn complete but stopping it where it need to stop by keeping the flex in my right knee and not allowing my right hip to slide back. This gives me that easy power feel of the coil being twisted/loaded (shoulder/hip separation) as I can feel it in my legs, hips, core. This is by far the hardest thing to date to do and make it stick.

You using a smash bag? Thoughts on it?

It's a training aid ponder for me.

You using a smash bag? Thoughts on it?

It's a training aid ponder for me.

No I'm just making dry swings when I make a full swing i do have a black dot on my mat that i use as the ball for set up and to "strike" but I'm mainly making just a take away to the top holding it and then a controlled down swing.

2014 starts in a few hours, time to make this the best year yet. Practicing for my shot at hopefully a place in a big event here at THP. Time to do work fellas!

From the mini-computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back