The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video is key to really seeing your own flaws if you have a visual baseline. I try to video a few swings good and bad when I'm working the range.

Video is key to really seeing your own flaws if you have a visual baseline. I try to video a few swings good and bad when I'm working the range.

Couldn't agree more. It's why I bought the tripod for my iPad for the instant feed back. It was nice to bring along to my lessons with my instructor as well. I had an idea of what I wanted and what I wanted my swing to look like, he gave his suggestions and we came up with something together. I know what it looks like and what it should look like. When I feel my self getting funky or not being able to find the groove I just throw the iPad up and figure it out. It's invaulable to me IMO.

Tempo and spine angle!

Good stuff on punch swing Mward. Weird , I'm so accurate and hit the ball center face with the punch . ( and maybe we all do ) .. But for some reason , ( we all) take the club back a few more feet and that feel isn't as frequent . And I can draw punches so well. Anyway , you guys sound like your doing all great .

Couldn't agree more. It's why I bought the tripod for my iPad for the instant feed back. It was nice to bring along to my lessons with my instructor as well. I had an idea of what I wanted and what I wanted my swing to look like, he gave his suggestions and we came up with something together. I know what it looks like and what it should look like. When I feel my self getting funky or not being able to find the groove I just throw the iPad up and figure it out. It's invaulable to me IMO.
I've got to find something like that. iPhone leaning up against the ball basket is ghetto style but not very high quality lol

I've got to find something like that. iPhone leaning up against the ball basket is ghetto style but not very high quality lol

LOL! I think they sell tripods for just iPhones if you don't have a tablet. But I couldn't agree more, you can learn a lot about your swing and your practice by watching yourself.

Has to be chest high .. Leaning against ball bucket is a bad angle and will show things that don't happen by distortion .. Tripod or a person filming is the way to go

Last one .. Anyway , if you want to film a good motion . Film a punch shot .. Lag / hands forward / and perfect plane .. I'm positive all of us would see that on camera if you film your punches . Like i said. , that extra couple feet back in the backswing ruins so many of us . A weird and humbling game. :)

I'm dedicating the rest of the month to the greenside practice bunker. If the pin is 10 yards from the bunker then I'm fine, but if the pin is 30 yards away I still hit it 10. Tough to figure out distance control when the club doesn't touch the ball.

God to the range tonight with Maddog. It felt great. I felt like the 90210 of old tonight on the range. I was having fun, I was staying smooth and I was absolutely smoking the ball. I still had a few poor shots, but that's strictly from lack of practice. I'm looking forward to getting back into my practice groove. Maddog hit the ball well up until the last part of the session when he started to get super quick. He got back to smooth tho and started striping it. No work during the week next week so I'm going to be living at the range. It felt really really good to put a smooth swing on the ball and have that ball first "click" over and over again. Really really looking forward to getting back into it.

the kid is back!!!! he hit the ball very well tonight. we had a 1-2 club wind in our face and he was smooth all night. it makes it nice to hit the range when you have a partner who knows your swing and can help you out!!!!!

and by the way......he kicked my ass in our regular game of horse with the short game. we hit about 15 balls head to head, i think i was 5 down tonight :arrogant:

Been exactly two weeks since I swung the sticks and it feels fantastic out here on the range this morning. Missed this fine game over the last 14 days.

Doesn't hurt that I seem to be striking the ball well, although that usually bodes poorly for tomorrow's round, I'll take it!

The THP Range/Practice Thread

Hit a large bucket this afternoon, made my way around the bag just thinking about turning into my right thigh and not overswinging.

I had some nice contact right down the bag until I got to my 3h again. Nothing I was doing was working so instead of getting frustrated I moved back to irons. It must've taken me a good 5-7 swings with my 9i before I got back into a groove. It bugs me because lately I've been hitting my long irons pretty decently for me.

I started with the driver and sort of over drawing it - not exactly a hook, but a bit more left. I decided to try and adjust the Bertha to see what happened and WHOA what a difference even slight changes make in ballflight. I ended up going back to my original setting of +2 with weight on 2 draw and just weakened my grip a bit, and that helped.

I should be having another lesson next week, shooting for Tuesday so we can work on making the driver more consistent.

Hit two buckets at the range this morning. Worked on transition and posture. I noticed i was really bent over so stood up a bit taller. Focused on turn and not swaying. Needless to say lots more work needed

Hit a large bucket at the range tonight. Spent a good amount of the bucket hitting wedge shots at flags that were 80 and 100 yards out. Then hit the rest if the bucket going through the rest of my bag.

Tempo felt good, but balance and transfer were a little off. I went after the gym so not sure if I was a little tired. That being said the swing feeling off tonight was showing better results then any other time it felt off.

Either way.. I think I am ready for my rounds this weekend.

Last edited:
Last minute large bucket tonight. Hit 'em well focusing on maintaining my spine angle and a shorter backswing. Looking forward to my lesson tomorrow. I have a really cool wife lol. Owe her big time after #theGauntlet.

Two large buckets this morning, really focusing on the the 3H and 5I. Two of my biggest sources of heartache on the course is a lack of options off the tee, and a tendency to get too quick with my longer clubs. So I took my time and really worked on getting a solid pause at the top, getting my hands & wrists in a good position to release the club, and staying relaxed through the swing, especially through the follow through. Took a little while, and it's not perfect, but overall I feel really good, plus getting more height & distance from my 5 iron off the turf, and I'm feeling more and more confident hitting a hybrid off the tee. Just have to keep some thoughts to stay relaxed in my head for next weekend's round.

Two large buckets this morning, really focusing on the the 3H and 5I. Two of my biggest sources of heartache on the course is a lack of options off the tee, and a tendency to get too quick with my longer clubs. So I took my time and really worked on getting a solid pause at the top, getting my hands & wrists in a good position to release the club, and staying relaxed through the swing, especially through the follow through. Took a little while, and it's not perfect, but overall I feel really good, plus getting more height & distance from my 5 iron off the turf, and I'm feeling more and more confident hitting a hybrid off the tee. Just have to keep some thoughts to stay relaxed in my head for next weekend's round.

Great to hear - I may try all of this today at the range as you've basically described one of my main problems!

A couple of questions came to me on my practice session today, mostly to do with short game. I realised that I was often giving myself nice lies rather than trickier shots and so thought I'd find some toughies to play. One that I really found a nightmare was a downhill lie in heavy rough near the green, (short sided). The pictures probably don't do it justice, but there's about 10 feet to the flag and you're on the back edge of a bunker. Occasionally, the ball was totally buried as well.

20140817_171831_zps444974ef.jpg

20140817_171858_zps34831e04.jpg

20140817_171819_zps40e205d7.jpg

So I was playing this with my approach wedge, off the back foot and basically trying to go for a very steep angle of attack with a very short chipping motion - basically squirting the ball out onto the green. It was pretty impossible to get the ball to stop before the flag, but I had a couple of good runs at it.

Anyway, my questions are:

1) How would you play that shot?
2) What other 'nightmare' greenside shots can you think of that I can practise around the 9 hole course here. (Sticking to greenside to avoid losing balls and practise control a bit more)

Cheers all!

I had my 8 yr old with me today so it was pretty much a practice round with no score. I didn't lose anything off the tee today, which was a big plus. Putting was meh. I had a few irons fade right, but nothing that wasn't playable. It gave me some good opportunities to work on soft shots out of the rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the range to work with a driver that I picked up Saturday. Not my favorite driver out there, but it fell into the budget, and I needed something in the bag since mine shat the bed during Fridays practice.
Found it to be pretty easy to hit, but not happy with the grip. It's brand new, but a mid size. I prefer a standard size grip, let's me feel that I can create more club speed. I ended up really working with four clubs. My Stage 2 3w R fuel shaft , Cleveland Classic with a Kuala black X shaft, and (I forget) in my R9 with a regular shaft. All for comparison up against my new (used) Stage 2 S flex fuel shaft.
I was trying to find some comfort level with the stage 2 driver by working with these other clubs. It was a fun, but tiring practice. 2.5 hours of working with these clubs and I was spent.
I have another driver coming later this week that will probably keep the stage 2 driver from spending too much time in the bag, but it will be fun for a while.

Going to be heading to the range very soon to work on some more fundamentals. My swing recently has gone to complete crap so I have been breaking things down and tightening up the mechanics.

This week.....the right elbow and staying connected.

Struggling mightily with the driver right now, any driver.

So, I stopped bashing my head against the wall and did some short game work, nothing puts me more at peace now than that, it became a lot of fun for me in the MC prep and I'm happy it still is.

Irons are good, wedges are great, hybrids and fairway is awesome, driver is the bane of my existence.

So, I stopped bashing my head against the wall and did some short game work, nothing puts me more at peace now than that, it became a lot of fun for me in the MC prep and I'm happy it still is.

Irons are good, wedges are great, hybrids and fairway is awesome, driver is the bane of my existence.

As soon as you fix your driver issues, your irons will start acting weird. At least that's how my game works. I think that struggling with the driver is the most frustrating thing for me and it makes me not even want to go out and play. Standing on the tee with no idea where the ball is going is just horrifying.

Define struggling with your driver? What kind of miss?

Define struggling with your driver? What kind of miss?

Lower body, saw it today, causing me to get stuck and have to flip to try and get through. Which, you can predict the flight from there.

Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back