The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I putted like well...poo Poo yesterday.

Worked on my alignment and stroke a bit tonight, started off pretty rough. Took a couple minutes away, refocused and got some work done.

Also, struggled with iron contact, so that got some work too.

Garage was pretty warm tonight, and I am (or getting) sick, so I had to cut things short.
Still some work to do, hopefully I feel better tomorrow.

You gotta love it when they setup the range hitting area on a downhill lie. Well at least I got to practice that shot tonight. My side of the range emptied out so I moved back 5 yards to a flat lie to hit woods and hybrids. Looking forward to getting some short game work in tomorrow.

Playing with somebody sort of helps, but any time I'm out there alone I'm just sort of wondering what the hell the point is lol. It's not as if it's actually going to make me any better apparently. Ha.

Equipment testing helps keep me focused though. I'm trying to use the PGA National trip as motivation, but that's not working so well at the moment.

Just move to NC. I'm sure we could find a way to spice up some range sessions.

Had a decent range session today. Spent a good amount of time with my wedges working distance control. Also worked on getting some consistency down with the driver. Been feeling like I'm not squaring the face at impact so made sure I had the face square at setup. I wasn't hitting it great, but hitting it better.

I had a horrible week last week. I played 3 rounds and two were 114 and 116. The other was my own two ball scramble to try and make me feel better about my skills (or lack thereof). I shot an 83. Let's me know I have the potential, just not the consistency.

Most of my issues come from horrible driver shots and mediocre short game. I watched a ton of videos on the driver Sunday and yesterday and found an Ignition Golf video, Mark Crossfield video, and Hank Haney video that all recommended sort of braking during the swing to allow the right/rear arm to begin turning over to close the face. I worked on that yesterday at the range and had the best day I've ever had.

I had a lesson today and we went over the kinematic sequence and how what they were saying is technically sound instruction, but just feels differently for each golfer. The feelings I found were apparently correct for me and I was hitting long draw after long draw. I spent a lot of time really focusing on the feelings to try and engrain them for future use. I was consistenly carrying 280+ with my driver.

I then grabbed my 3W and used the same thoughts to hit ball after ball long with baby draws off the deck around 230-250 carry. I feel like I made a huge step towards improving my game and the instructor was extremely pleased with the results.

Hopefully I can start to carry this over to the course, or at least to future range sessions.

Last edited:
When practicing my putting, on my backyard green and elsewhere.... one of the exercises I do is to put a couple of tees parallel to what I see as the break line, to help me learn to read the greens. Once I have the line or breakline read, I hit the ball perpendicular to the tees and down the line. By this time the only issue is speed. I'll hit these putts over and over until I can make 4 of five repeatedly.

The video file:

Just move to NC. I'm sure we could find a way to spice up some range sessions.

Had a decent range session today. Spent a good amount of time with my wedges working distance control. Also worked on getting some consistency down with the driver. Been feeling like I'm not squaring the face at impact so made sure I had the face square at setup. I wasn't hitting it great, but hitting it better.

And miss out on this awesome weather? No way! Hehehe.

I had a decent on as well last night. Got away from a couple keys that were big parts of not flailing around and saw some improvements from Saturday. Tried to putt, but the practice green at this place is just a joke. All chewed up.

Funny to be writing this but I have been trying to come over the top more. Lately my miss has been either hooking or blocking the ball because I have been coming too much from the inside with the driver. Spent some time on the range and saw a little improvement there.

Went and did about 1.5 hours of practise today. Did some chipping and driver work on the range and then went for some putting. Trying out both my putters to feel which one I like better.

Went to the range that has a chipping/putting area for the first time in a couple weeks.

It was terrible. Almost no grass to hit from to begin with and the ground was so soft that everyone was slinging mud down the range. I'd rather hit off mats.

I cut the range session short because of mud to go work on chipping and putting, mostly putting because I've been slacking and getting bad. Turns out that they aerated the greens, so it was completely worthless to try and putt.

On the plus side, I came away feeling good about my swings. I adjusted my grip to have the club more in the fingers vs the palm, adjusted my stance so I had my hands more under my head vs in front, and took more relaxed swings. My ball flight has been low and distances short the last couple weeks, and this seems to have corrected the issue.

I also took these swing changes to the chipping area, and I found more consistent contact and higher flight with my lob wedge. Might have been the best lob wedge range session all year, close to how I had it dialed in at the end of last season.

Went to the range nearby and had some good practice. A few struggles with my long irons, but there's always something to work on. Other than that, I was hitting everything rather well. Some putting practice to close the range, and I'm all set for a couple of rounds the next two days.

Went to the range nearby and had some good practice. A few struggles with my long irons, but there's always something to work on. Other than that, I was hitting everything rather well. Some putting practice to close the range, and I'm all set for a couple of rounds the next two days.
Where ya playing at?

utyqaqab.jpg

Grinding it out on the range. 1 day left before my club championship. I was striking the irons phenomenal tonight. Driver was a little shakey but I think I know what was causing it. Looking forward to getting back tomorrow. Might get up early and double range it tomorrow.

Got in a bit of work today. Working on keeping posture, holding off and creating lag by pointing that butt end at the ball.

Not ready to post videos just yet, but I don't think I am far off!
I got some work done tonight!

Where ya playing at?
Little Mountain tomorrow with the brother-in-law and his buddies and Firestone West with my father-in-law Saturday.

Back to. Back range nights for me. Yesterday was all about staying smoothing working on a set tempo. Meanwhile making sure I wasn't getting lazy. Worked my way through the bag. Picking targets and stay inside my own head.

Tonight was everything inside. 9 iron. Doing the same as yesterday, but mixing it up with different yardages, and flighting. Pretty good couple of practice sessions.

Dang man your still at it, kicking some butt!!! How has your game been going since #THPMC??

About to head out to the range to hit a couple of buckets. Grooving my swing the past couple of days. I feel confident this session will go well.

About to head out to the range to hit a couple of buckets. Grooving my swing the past couple of days. I feel confident this session will go well.

Pound 'em into the sunset buddy. I love that feeling of confidence, although I usually lose it after my first practice swing.

Dang man your still at it, kicking some butt!!! How has your game been going since #THPMC??

Not nearly as good as it was before and during it lol. I just recently started practicing again tho so we'll see if I can turn it around.

Hit the range tonight, was hitting them very well. Putting in all this hard work is really paying off. Worked on 50yards pitches and sand wedge, gap wedge shots all very solid. Hybo,3 woods striped all night long. Feeling confident before HHI

Last edited:
Range session went well tonight. I fell like I'm back on track, despite the large number of fat shots. I think this is a sign of progress - once I get myself more target focused and just let the ball get in the way, I'll have that nice ball first contact.

Last edited:
Got a garage session in last night since Parent/Teacher night at up my daylight free time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back