The THP Range/Practice Thread

I stepped away from golf for about 7 years while I went to college and law school. Coming back now, and I pulled out the old clubs.

Let's just say that I've got some work to do.

does anyone else play 2 balls at once during practice rounds? I don't but an older gentleman I see pretty regularly at my local course does...I am contemplating trying this out when there's no one else around.
I will if I’m behind a slower group and I’m killing some time.

Put a ball through my month-old Rukket net and into my garage door last night... 😣 must be my blazing ~100mph? club head speed. Planning to double up nets for now and make some sort of nylon baffle.

Put a ball through my month-old Rukket net and into my garage door last night... 😣 must be my blazing ~100mph? club head speed. Planning to double up nets for now and make some sort of nylon baffle.

I picked up a cheaper net (not being delivered until 5/4 😡) but I also picked up cheap fishing net to drape behind the main net for a couple extra layers of stoppage

I picked up a cheaper net (not being delivered until 5/4 😡) but I also picked up cheap fishing net to drape behind the main net for a couple extra layers of stoppage
Good call! I’ll be doing something similar. In the meantime I’ll be patching the hole and trying to hammer in the dent in my garage door. And probably buying flowers for the wife...

Just got back from my first real post-hiatus range session. Boy howdy, them golf muscles don't wake up very fast... Still, wasn't as bad as I expected, hit some good short irons, and my distances, while very short, were at least consistent.

As a side note, my new F9 came in. Prior to that, I'd been gaming a Nicklaus ML4, and I just have to ask...

How the hell much better has every other club gotten in the last 8 years???? Because swinging that thing was like playing a different freaking sport compared to my old club.

Well my mat came in, plus the backup net, just waiting on the key component... the main hitting net.. 2 more weeks :mad:

But I got in the back and took some half and full swings just to shake out the cobwebs. Will be doing that daily and some speed training until the net comes

I keep delivering so much less left than I'm used to right now.

I now have a 4 wood that im messing around with but seeing my 7 iron spin sub 6000 has me freaking out considering 2 weeks ago it was barely under 7000.

On the plus side whatever swing I am bringing to the table right now is allowing me to swing fairways indoors right now. This is going to make the SIM more fun.

A heavy bath towel attached to the net in the impact area will work quite well to save wear and tear on the netting.

A little range action today

As a side note, my new F9 came in. Prior to that, I'd been gaming a Nicklaus ML4, and I just have to ask...

How the hell much better has every other club gotten in the last 8 years???? Because swinging that thing was like playing a different freaking sport compared to my old club.
Try the Callaway Mavrik irons and FW/hybrids. They'll answer your question about how much better clubs have gotten. :cool:

Reactions: JR
I stepped away from golf for about 7 years while I went to college and law school. Coming back now, and I pulled out the old clubs.

Let's just say that I've got some work to do.
Congrats/condolences on law school 😃

Reactions: JR
Just got back from my first real post-hiatus range session. Boy howdy, them golf muscles don't wake up very fast... Still, wasn't as bad as I expected, hit some good short irons, and my distances, while very short, were at least consistent.

Frankly, your old driver wasn't a very good club...when it was brand new. There are lots of players on here that are very happy with the F9. I suspect you'll be one more. There are some very good irons from 10 to 20 years ago, much less more recently, so we'd have to know what you now have in the bag to make a comparison. Fairway metals and hybrids have gotten considerably better. Manufacturers are packing a lot of technology into those clubs today and weren't doing so as much until recently. With wedges it's mostly about fit and condition of the groove. Putters? The all time best selling putter is the Odyssey 2-ball putter and it was launched over 20 years ago. But again, it depends on what you have.

I spent the week working on chipping, which has been a serious issue lately for me. About 30m each day just working on fundamentals and getting repetitions and trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. By the end of the week things were definitely getting better. Still have a ways to go though.

Frankly, your old driver wasn't a very good club...when it was brand new. There are lots of players on here that are very happy with the F9. I suspect you'll be one more. There are some very good irons from 10 to 20 years ago, much less more recently, so we'd have to know what you now have in the bag to make a comparison. Fairway metals and hybrids have gotten considerably better. Manufacturers are packing a lot of technology into those clubs today and weren't doing so as much until recently. With wedges it's mostly about fit and condition of the groove. Putters? The all time best selling putter is the Odyssey 2-ball putter and it was launched over 20 years ago. But again, it depends on what you have.

In fairness to the old club, it gave me better numbers than about 90% of the market when I bagged it.

I'm still averaging over a 100 swings per day since we started our own version of this quarantine thing.

Yesterday with not much to do, and really nice weather, I got in 150 swings.

Distances ranged from 20 yards to 50 yards, while using my 8i, AW, and LW. The 8i was for 45 yard (carry) punch shots.

My actual targets were at 25, 40, and 55 yards.
I use the targets for aim purposes, but not for carry purposes. I am focusing on landing the ball in front of the targets which will allow for some roll out towards those targets. This keeps me from flying balls past flag pins when actually playing.

Using different clubs for the same yardages helps with swing control.

My other focus is hitting ball flights that are on, or near my target line. This also involves part of my pre-shot routine for each shot.

I hit 25 balls each time, leave, and return for another 25 balls. I have no schedule. However many balls I hit in a day, is what it is.

I suspect today will be more of the same.

Range has been open while the course was closed, so I am trying to take out my Covid frustration on little yellow rocks disguised as range balls. Good news is our course opens Thursday, so I'm signed up for 1300 and hopefully will finish before the snow comes in again. Next week, maybe Spring will come for good.

Swing mechanics in the front yard with virtual golf video... It's interesting... I was bored and it was cold ...I think watching is great at a desk but man it's awesome going out videoing yourself watching it back and watching the training video.

Between this and superspeed... My neighbors think I'm nuts.

Practiced at the academy, a membership or extra fee usage range hitting area separate from the main staging where the masses assemble. It includes 3 practice greens, each with raised cups. Mostly had the area to myself and spent a couple of hours there today. This was one of those days where the focus was on and the tempo and timing were dialed. Hammered the ball with what felt like effortless power. I had very few of my over-swing misses where the arms get ahead of the lower body. I was connected to my swing, if that makes sense. This all translated to chipping and putting. Solid. When I have days like this I try to memorize everything in hopes of bringing it to the course. One day I will.

Hit 60 balls in the garage tonight. First session in 2 weeks since tweaking my back. Felt good and the mystery distance increase was still there. Dispersion wasn’t terrible, but the driver was.

Finishing some RZN testing today. Also going to give the J40’s and CMB’s some work.

E4F90861-6F47-4FC8-BB07-09D350A47D83.jpeg

Back