The THP Range/Practice Thread

Hit 45 -SW today and hit pretty decent. About 35 of the 45 were within 25’ of my target.
Went back about 2 hours later and hit about 35 GW and hit only maybe 10 within 25’ of target and hit 8 straight Sh@&ks at the end.
OMG no what?

Haven’t had time to practice since my disastrous round last week :mad: hoping all the dig bar and pickax use will add a few yards by making me farm strong!💪

Spent a little time in my garage bay hitting.. Starting to feel more confident with my iron swing.. Still battling the same bad habits

Hard work on committing to versatility again and not leaning on one club, last 5 rounds have been played by pacing off and feel rather than trying to hit specific lasers numbers via full swings.

Hit 15 SW for 85 yards today in a heavy wind to try and groove my swing for tomorrow. Hit 10 within 20’, and 5 well... not within 20’

Hit 15 SW for 85 yards today in a heavy wind to try and groove my swing for tomorrow. Hit 10 within 20’, and 5 well... not within 20’
Smart to get those 5 out of the way today. Grooved for tomorrow!

Went through a warmup on the SkyTrak then short skills assessment. Went well and came in with single digit handicap on the assessment. Planning to play this weekend. Need to control it off the tee.

Hit for about an hour at the driving range.. It was in the lower 50s with light rain but my swing is starting to feel better

Spent time at the range trying not to overthink avoiding outside to in on my swing. Thinking I'm getting closer. Just need to keep practicing.

Ranges open today in NJ.
Rain is expected, but I need to go hit some anyway get this over the top driver thing figured out

Working on my putting and trying to get 100 putts in!

My local range has a chipping area that maxes out at 40 yards. I've been focusing a lot more on keeping my head down through the swing. I don't lift it until the ball is halfway there. Much better. To the point where I'm very confident I will be on the green putting if I'm anywhere inside of 50 yards. Maybe not enough to one putt, but if I have the putter in hand for par, I ain't complaining. My goal is to be a bogey golfer. Getting close, but not quite there yet.

One problem I have is reading greens. I made an adjustment to the putting grip and again focused on keeping my head still and looking down until the ball is almost there. Much better on straight putts under 10 feet. But the breaks are killing me. I misread them a lot. My playing partners are pretty good reading the breaks. When they tell me I should aim at a certain spot, its well off where I think it should be. And they always seem to be more right on that than I am. Anyone got any tips on how to read breaks better?

i went to my new club to drop off some paperwork. the range beckoned and i could not resist.

i hit a pyramid of balls! focused on crunching the trailing hip flexor which frees up a more full backswing. then what feels like a good set at the top, and a smooth 75mph swing. it went ok, but man is it ever hard to slow it down for over 100 shots. did mostly 7i, and some drivers too. driver was very erratic, but that’s to be expected.

also did some mid distance pitch shots. it’s again very hard to keep it slow and smooth. hence my wtb thread for an sc200. i want something that will give me swing speed so i can just groove and feel that nice, slow speed.

Working on getting my 100 in.

Used my round today to work on some different shots with different clubs & was able to play 2 balls on the front 9.

Went to the range today to do some testing. I did a quick comparison of drivers (SZX, G400 Max, M2 '17) and also to try some new clubs that had come in. It was fun trying to hit the 300 yard sign.

I tried the CBX119 15* fairway wood and the CBX119 19* hybrid. Quick thoughts were I would like a firmer feeling shaft in them (Both had Evenflow Blues). I was also a bit disappointed with how much wear they got from the session. The 3 wood looks like it may have a spot in the bag. It looks great at address and elevated very easily. The hybrid on the other hand I couldn't really figure out. It doesn't fly high like a fairway or have the flighting ability of a long iron. I will still play around with it since I think its more that I don't have a hybrid swing right now.

I then messed around between the Forged Tec 3 iron and the SZ 4 iron. It was fun hitting flat shots at targets, but I need to ensure I can still hit that launched shot to stop on a green.

Overall had fun. Definitely have a bit of a draw swing right now and need to control my low point. Off the turf I'm basically having the swing thought that I'm driving the clubface through the impact zone in order to help my weight transfer while at the same time trying to ensure my hips are rotating and not sliding.

The range session didn’t help!
I am not sure what is going on..... some really nice driver swings (maybe 4) a few good 3W shots. Irons were well....sketchy at best! Some fat, some really good! Word of the day Inconsistent!

Today’s range session something just clicked. Ball striking was solid though 2 buckets I would say only a handful I was not impressed with. My 3 wood once I changed the settings was filthy!!! 245 carry with a medium flight on it and dead straight. The guy next to me was very impressed by it.

I did a light session in my garage range and then spent a ton of time putting.

Hit balls into a stiff southern wind. Was working on keeping trailing elbow connected to allow strong downswing through the ball. Feeling proper weight transfer back and down through the ball. Well struck balls held the line into the wind.

Then practiced putting with my recently regripped putter. Getting the feel of the Ping Ping Blackout grip.

hit a bucket of 89 on the range with the sc300...I think I got some decent info out of it this time...and I have never hit my 3W this well on the range. i wonder if that will translate to the course...

Last edited:
Gotta work on irons for sure
The only thing consistent with my game right now is that I am inconsistent

A lot of drills swings for tucking the elbow. Not bad not bad at all on the swings yesterday. Paid off on the course with distance and accuracy on irons and wedges.

Newest drill is working on the downswing tying a knot and letting it fall down the back/arm rather than flinging it to avoid over the top and steep decent.

A lot of drills swings for tucking the elbow. Not bad not bad at all on the swings yesterday. Paid off on the course with distance and accuracy on irons and wedges.

Newest drill is working on the downswing tying a knot and letting it fall down the back/arm rather than flinging it to avoid over the top and steep decent.
@Gman79 i would be u retested in seeing this closer. What are you talking about
“tying a knot and letting it fall down the back/arm rather than flinging it to avoid over the top and steep decent.”

Back