The THP Range/Practice Thread

I really need to freaking practice 100 and in. It is costing me too many strokes!!!!

You and me both! My driver has been the best club in my bag for months, but have not been able to take advantage when I'm within 100 yards.

I'm also going to start working on playing a fade, as a natural drawer of the ball. I find that my ball contact is usually better when playing a fade, as well as my trajectory control. Hoping this will help with more consistent ball striking.

You and me both! My driver has been the best club in my bag for months, but have not been able to take advantage when I'm within 100 yards.

I'm also going to start working on playing a fade, as a natural drawer of the ball. I find that my ball contact is usually better when playing a fade, as well as my trajectory control. Hoping this will help with more consistent ball striking.

Bingo... My driver has been so good as of late. I am missing too many greens and not giving myself any legit birdie chances.

Well, I bought a range membership at a course near my work so I can go at lunch or extend the day. My drive is starting to straighten out enough that I might actually be able to start aiming for fairway (instead of 90 degrees left)

How do you guys work on improving striking and driving and chipping and putting with full time jobs? My ball striking is getting much better. I have shot 99 or better for 7 rounds in a row. I've shot better than my handicap every round too. But I feel like while I am getting to the green way better my putting has suffered. My last three rounds were 37, 38 and 40 putts which is terrible. I feel like if I had my old putting with how I am striking I would consistently be breaking 95 and have a legit shot at 90 regularly.

I have a practice green in the basement. Honing a repeatable putter stroke Has benefited. A LOT. A lot of golf is muscle memory.
doesn't really matter where it occurs. The mental engagment in the swing can be done anywhere. (y)

Look at this nonsense. I don’t even feel like it’s parallel and working on a shorter swing it feels like my club head is pointed straight at the sky.

View attachment 8962094
Is this current?

Edit: nevermind. I scrolled up. Damn man. Having a real hard time shortening the backswing is a common theme around here. Hope it easier for you.

Is this current?
if by current you mean 12 hours ago then yes.

It's gross eh? My driver swing is abysmal - worst club in my bag, after being my best club for a decade.
Finally grabbed some video to see what the hell was going on and found out how bad it is.

I've got another round scheduled for tomorrow. After swinging to basically parallel on 18 (maybe a touch beyond) I ripped one down the pipe. If I am lucky, it's an easy fix.

if by current you mean 12 hours ago then yes.

It's gross eh? My driver swing is abysmal - worst club in my bag, after being my best club for a decade.
Finally grabbed some video to see what the hell was going on and found out how bad it is.

I've got another round scheduled for tomorrow. After swinging to basically parallel on 18 (maybe a touch beyond) I ripped one down the pipe. If I am lucky, it's an easy fix.
Yeah, I edited once I saw the lead in. It's just a feel fix in the end. And good players tend to get those faster than most. I have faith you'll come to love your new 'club head to the sky' feel. :LOL:

It's pretty impressive you've been able to maintain your scoring with it getting that long.

Last edited:
Yeah, I edited once I saw the lead in. It's just a feel fix in the end. And good players tend to get those faster than most. I have faith you'll come to love your new 'club head to the sky' feel. :LOL:

It's pretty impressive you've been able to maintain your scoring with it getting that long.
I got away with it quite a bit when my right elbow was parallel to the ground - somewhere along the way it started to get vertical and I think that's where everything fell apart.

Mostly just playing a scuttled fade lately - which is pretty playable. It's just... lame.

Look at this nonsense. I don’t even feel like it’s parallel and working on a shorter swing it feels like my club head is pointed straight at the sky.

View attachment 8962094
The amount of hip turn you're able to get without lifting a foot is mindboggling. :eek:

Out early this morning to beat the heat. 5:30 am. No longer dark, but could've used a little more daylight at that hour.

Work a little bit on all of my game from 5'chips, up to 160 yard approach shots. Used 9 different clubs. Dispersion on the longer shots were acceptable. Some better than others.

Then finished up with some putting practice.

Tomorrow we cool off considerably. Planning on playing 18.

View attachment 8962094
Are you already pulling down in this shot? I'm trying to figure out the length and lie of your driver based on where you're at here.
Shorter and more upright than most stock setups?

Just back from the range. Had to go as I needed to work out what I was doing wrong with my 1 iron. Half a dozen swings later I knew what the problem was and I proceeded to use the remaining balls to dial it in.

Ended up hitting nice high balls with it by the end, and could shape it both ways with just a simple change of my right foot placement

Can't wait to get it out onto the course on Friday now

Been spending most of my time doing timing and rotational drills. Tomorrow I will see if it’s helping. Sure seems to be hitting into the net.

Practice 9 after work yesterday and I'm thrilled with how it went. I made one small tweak, getting my hands higher at the top of my backswing, on the way down it forces me to clear my hips out and easily make contact with the ball on the downswing. PW 130, 9i 140, 6i 170!

I didn't touch a club for almost 2 weeks and am trying to find what I can to add some extra yards to the game. I don't want to do anything drastic but this was excellent in the scoring clubs up until about 7iron.

6i-hybrids it was a small fade, not my preferred draw. The distance was ok but that 170 yard 6i that I hit 3 times could be around 175+ if I get my preferred shot shape and added power. Driver was fine.

I will hit the range Saturday before my round to tune this up and focus a little more on the longer clubs to eliminate the fade.

I've sort of fallen into a routine as I practice during my return from a long hiatus from the game. I'll start with my wedges and then move to my 9, 8, 7 etc. The requirement to move on to the next is to hit 5 solid shots in a row with each. If I then hit the 6th well, I move on. If I hit the 6th poorly, I back up 2 clubs and start again. It results in some long range sessions (I got a membership at my home course for unlimited range balls or it would get expensive). The work has shown positive results. It seems to make me focus a lit more than simply banging balls. I just make sure I rest a bit during the sessions.
099ab02839ad9fa67b8cd5f77cc5d8ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Heading to the range before my round. One last chance to fix my swing.

20200919_180608.jpg

After an hour and a half, and a lot of paint sacrificed on the irons, I'm slowly making progress with the LZ's. The amount of compensating I was doing was crazy. I haven't done this kind of work on the range in a long time.

worked on hitting a fade consistently with the driver today...i thought it went well...the driver was good. maybe not long but good...hit all my fairways.

Spent an hour or so at the range this evening as I haven't hit a ball for the last couple of weeks so wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised at how well I did strike it

Couple of thin hits to begin with whilst I got loose and reacquainted myself with the movements I was working on in my last lesson but then I got into a bit of a groove with each of the club's I had with me

Hopefully I can bring that swing with me on Sunday for the fun competition at my club

Back