The THP Range/Practice Thread

Great time at the range today. Waited so long with all the hot weather. 2nd time in 3 days I think it is!
Warmed up with some 54º. PW. 8i. 5i. Little 22º hybrid.
Tried out a different 3W with better results. Ol' Adams Fast 12 with a Fubuki alpha 70 stiff. Nice flight and more forgiveness than the G25 right now.
I think that Tour Blue 75 stiff is a little much for me right now.
Short game practice was fun giving myself bad lies in some very healthy kentucky creeping blue. Flops and pitches, bitches.
No putting green at this place. Really nice time out there. About 80º and little overcast until the end where it cooked up a bit, left to right breeze slightly hurting.
Was able to work the ball a little today. Mostly fades, but got some draws in there. Nice! I'm ready to play. More than ready!

Went to an actual range today. Airflow was much better than the garage! Struck The ball great sand then got in some quality chipping time. Gave up on the 9i. Now back to the 52* around the green.

i shoulda taken advantage of the mostly empty course yesterday and played 2-ball the entire round...

Good week of practice. Last 4 days I hit two buckets and then walked a few holes solo playing multiple balls and spending a little extra time putting. I like what I am seeing in terms of more consistent play. The putting work on course is also improving my reads. I feel calm and confident.

After yesterday’s display of how not to play golf I’m off to the range to iron some things out before my round.

I've been struggling with my irons lately and spent a couple hours hitting in my garage sim. We'll see how it goes over the weekend..

Two buckets today on range. Worked on takeaway, tempo, and timing. Noticed ball impact sound is different. Clicky. Maybe a touch toe and low. Bugged me a bit. Then walked 10-18 playing multiple balls, dropping balls to practice distances/angles that give me trouble. Good putting practice time too. I continue to hit the ball better but still not playing better. Little things. Sigh. Grinding onward.

Two buckets today on range. Worked on takeaway, tempo, and timing. Noticed ball impact sound is different. Clicky. Maybe a touch toe and low. Bugged me a bit. Then walked 10-18 playing multiple balls, dropping balls to practice distances/angles that give me trouble. Good putting practice time too. I continue to hit the ball better but still not playing better. Little things. Sigh. Grinding onward.
Getting ready for next weekend I see :D

I haven't been practicing much this year and am starting to believe a lack of practice is not that detrimental.

I went out in the field today to work on the hybrid which I've been having issues with in squaring the face. In addition to the continuation of spraying the ball around with no clue as to why, I hit a rock just under the ground and put a giant dent into my beloved 3h (sigh).

Anyway, my practice focused on trying to maintain the same exact tempo and effort in an attempt to develop some resemblance of a consistent miss. It was a total failure and went something like this.... hook left, push right, worm burner straight, hook left, push right, perfect high launch shot down the middle with a slight draw.... hook left, push right... wash, rinse, repeat. The misses were not slight.

It's the kind of practice session that leaves me with little hope for tomorrow's round.

I had a little time for hitting in my garage sim today and for giggles grabbed an old bladed Mizuno 1 iron that I've held on to for some reason. I was hammering one shot after another with it which is highly unusual for me..

Speed..I am only thinking speed at the moment.

I'm glad I don't remember whatever the aliens did to me on the mother ship, but whatever it was, I'm hitting driver well.

I started practicing like I'm on the course: driver shot. Iron or wedge shot. Another driver, etc....

I don't think banging a bunch of the same club in a row is helpful for me.

So frustrated that every time I go to the range to work on my swing issues, I hit the ball amazingly well.
Hard to fix issues that only show up on course under pressure.

Brought my new vokey to a pitch and putt to have some fun. Its fun using one wedge for every shot.

Put a bucket in the yard at the cabin.

Gave the Smart sole SW a workout.

It was good to work on hitting pitches from different lies. I'm pretty good from good lies, and I think this helped a lot on less than perfect lies.

I try to keep it low around the greens, but sometimes ya gotta go over a bunker.

Lots of putts today. I'm playing this weekend & my cousin wants to play a match!

Went to the range to hit some balls with my metal woods. Took a look first, and noticed it was a "mats only" day..As a rule I don't use mats.

So, grabbed my "bagless" shag bag and went to the short game area.

Hit chip shots, and others up to 140 yards. Added in a few uneven lies to peak my interests.

Probably spent a little over 90 minutes hitting 84 balls.

Gave my putter the day off.

I have the most helpful guy next to me at the range right now. He's given me pointers on getting the little flighted wedges I'm working on up in the air more, twice already. :confused:

Edit: I came to knock the rust off some wedges, but decided to work on some flighted Nebraska wind shots, and talk about rusty. 2 months has spoiled me.

Last edited:
I got some good driver work in today.. Hoping it pays off on the course

went out and "hit" 14 today to work out the trimmed down driver...it's working pretty good...no wild slices just some "hard fades" but nothing that hurt me going for the green...played a few different balls (CSX, Tour Speed and Z-Stars)...enjoyed a little humidity and the course mostly to myself.

couldn't golf this weekend but was able to sneak in a range session. Working on a few things that have really seemed to have click the last couple of times out. I brought my old G400 driver with me and compared it to the EPIC Flash and TR20, and I think I'm going to roll with it for my next round. Flash and I are falling out of favor with each other, and while I enjoy the heck out of the TR20, the G400 was just much better in the predictability of flight. Could have just been a 1-day thing, but we shall see tomorrow I guess.

I have a 2 hour iron shaft fitting with my coach.. It will be part fitting and part him making tweaks to my swing.. Should be fun but tiring!

Good lord. I just got back from hitting a few dozen balls with the driver. I was more capable of keeping a ball in play on the very first day of ever swinging a driver than I am today.... and that's not hyperbole.

I took 50% effort swings in an attempt to just square the club face and reduce side spin. The exercise was an epic fail. Mostly hooking worm burners mixed in with some slices and the occasional straight shot that approached 7i distance. There was absolutely no control.

The good news is that there wasn't any gray area to bring about any false hope. In the past, I'd be out there every night after work until it became too dark to see trying to bring about a positive change. Now the challenge becomes how to play this game without a 200 yard club.

I had quite the day at the range. After a poor showing last night (was rushed and distracted), the same issues seemed to carry into my first bucket of balls today. I was hitting my gap wedge fine, but everything else was terrible (some of the worst shanks I've had in a while). I decided to stick with it and by the end of bucket #2, I seemed to be hitting them better. On bucket #3, I was quite loose but a bit tired and get sloppy, so I took a few more seconds in between shots and was really striking the ball well.

I found that I had been overthinking everything with the first bucket or two and let things fly on the third and it seemed to help.

After 250 balls, I'm hoping I have a few more buckets left for tomorrow!

I really need to freaking practice 100 and in. It is costing me too many strokes!!!!

Back