NEWS The USGA Distance Insights Project

Wait, I thought physical fitness hasn't played a role in distance gains over the last 30 years :ROFLMAO:
A certain member of this forum would argue that is 100% fact.:ROFLMAO:

I saw this graphic today. I am also feeling a little squirrely, so I decided to revive this discussion :)

For those who think physical fitness doesn't impact distance and speed.

View attachment 8948456
Why are you poking the bear? HAHA!!!!

Why are you poking the bear? HAHA!!!!
What can I say? I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up at 5am with a sore back and a bad attitude ;)

That has to be an old picture. He looks skinny. Update that shizz to the beefcake face.

edit: Dammit!! @Canadan beat me to that by like.. one second.

I saw this graphic today. I am also feeling a little squirrely, so I decided to revive this discussion :)

For those who think physical fitness doesn't impact distance and speed.

View attachment 8948456
Equipment certainly hasn't changed that much in the past 4 years.

But maybe he unlocked the secret of how to hit with a convex shaft! :ROFLMAO:

What can I say? I fell asleep on the couch last night and woke up at 5am with a sore back and a bad attitude ;)
I also want the equipment that gives you a 20 yard increase in a year. You have one of those in the Fargo Morehead area?

I also want the equipment that gives you a 20 yard increase in a year. You have one of those in the Fargo Morehead area?
You know it.

1591894194618.png

Equipment certainly hasn't changed that much in the past 4 years.

But maybe he unlocked the secret of how to hit with a convex shaft! :ROFLMAO:

Mashing it really far helps to hit greens too.

Side note Minnesotan and Old Guy, Tom Lehman is currently 5 under and on the front page of the leaderboard.

Hope he keeps it up!

Small sample size with some very distance favorable tournaments. Let's add in, the way the PGA Tour calculates that is rather silly.

Also, more people need to squat, deadlift, bench press, and press overhead.

Way too small of a sample size. Physical fitness does not substantially impact distance on the Tour. It never has before.
How many tournaments do you need from Bryson for it to be a large enough sample size? 5,10, 15, 20?

Way too small of a sample size. Physical fitness does not substantially impact distance on the Tour. It never has before.
*Jason Zuback has entered the thread*

How many tournaments do you need from Bryson for it to be a large enough sample size? 5,10, 15, 20?
I have a feeling the whole season wouldn’t be enough of a sample size.

I have a feeling the whole season wouldn’t be enough of a sample size.
That’s why I asked for a specific number so that it could be quantified. In the past I’ve posted stats for the whole tour over several tournaments which weren’t a big enough sample size. Later I was rebutted with a smaller sample size.

Changing the topic slightly, but here's a question for those of who that think we should rollback the ball. Do you think distance has become too important in the modern game?

I ask because I've heard people express both opinions simultaneously and have yet to hear a reason why making the courses effectively longer and wider wouldn't just massively favor the longer hitters.

Changing the topic slightly, but here's a question for those of who that think we should rollback the ball. Do you think distance has become too important in the modern game?

I ask because I've heard people express both opinions simultaneously and have yet to hear a reason why making the courses effectively longer and wider wouldn't just massively favor the longer hitters.
I think distance has always been important. We are really just now starting to really realize how much from the strokes gained off the tee stats. You still have to be able to take advantage of those opportunities though with good shots close to the pin.

Long wide courses would definitely favor the longer hitters. Now long and narrow or with traps where they come into play for the longer hitters could help even things out. Also having some of the greens designed to favor full approaches vs. shorter chips and pitches could help even things up a little.

Back