The Youth Sports Coaching Thread

This was my last time for the season lining the fields. Honestly, after the way this season went, I am seriously giving up all my youth coaching and coordinating responsibilities. Parents suck and it is extremely hard to get umpires and fields Set up when teams continue to cancel games because their players have way too many other activities going on. parents that think a little Johnny doesn’t have to go to the game does not understand the ramifications it has because the parents sign them up in too many activities.

during basketball season, getting cussed out by a parent, and being told that I am as a horrible person really pushed me over the edge. I was giving baseball and softball another chance, but it’s just the same old **** different day.
View attachment 9186913
I have been seriously battling the same thing. I put our board on notice that I’m on the clock for President and that our first step is to ID the next person. Coaching…I know I’m having a positive influence / effect in the lives of some pretty special young athletes and that’s enough to keep me going. But my tolerance for the other stuff is at an all time low - like zero.

Again, not really coaching, but I don't know that I have a better place to blab about youth sports. We are in a 6-7 days a week cycle right now. I'm enjoying it, but am also ready to have my life back.

The boy starts high school baseball workouts today. Mainly lifting and agility work. He's going to hate it - just doesn't know it yet :ROFLMAO: His travel season still has a few weeks left and they are pretty much the busiest weeks of the season. A few big tournaments and then State. His team sucks, the head coach sucks, and I'm glad it's almost over. Hate to say that, but it's true. They don't win, they don't develop players, and they don't really seem to have the team under control. We won't be coming back b/c of high school so I don't have to break up with them at least.

Watched a kid blow a UCL over the weekend. Not really the kind of kid you'd expect to see it from, but it was just like on TV. Pitch, fall, scream 😢

Daughter now LOVES softball and made Little League All Stars, which means our normal two free weeks of summer we use for vacation are going to instead be used by the district and (hopefully) state tournaments. I'm actually fine with that. She loves it, so I love it. She wants to join a club team for next year. I'm tired and poor just thinking about it.

Again, not really coaching, but I don't know that I have a better place to blab about youth sports. We are in a 6-7 days a week cycle right now. I'm enjoying it, but am also ready to have my life back.

The boy starts high school baseball workouts today. Mainly lifting and agility work. He's going to hate it - just doesn't know it yet :ROFLMAO: His travel season still has a few weeks left and they are pretty much the busiest weeks of the season. A few big tournaments and then State. His team sucks, the head coach sucks, and I'm glad it's almost over. Hate to say that, but it's true. They don't win, they don't develop players, and they don't really seem to have the team under control. We won't be coming back b/c of high school so I don't have to break up with them at least.

Watched a kid blow a UCL over the weekend. Not really the kind of kid you'd expect to see it from, but it was just like on TV. Pitch, fall, scream 😢

Daughter now LOVES softball and made Little League All Stars, which means our normal two free weeks of summer we use for vacation are going to instead be used by the district and (hopefully) state tournaments. I'm actually fine with that. She loves it, so I love it. She wants to join a club team for next year. I'm tired and poor just thinking about it.
I am sorry, but this just made me LOL.

I know exactly how you feel. I have coached both of my boys in football, but mainly my youngest from 1st grade thru 8th grade. It was a basically a year round job. He just finished his Freshman year of High School and this is really the first summer I have had free time from workouts and practice other than taking him and picking him up. It has been great but at the same time, I really miss it. Mainly thru the week after work I have to figure out how to spend my time Lol. It will go by so fast, so while it's non-stop and hectic now, ENJOY IT as much as possible because it will be over before you know it.

It has been nice just setting in the stands watching tho :p

I know exactly how you feel. I have coached both of my boys in football, but mainly my youngest from 1st grade thru 8th grade. It was a basically a year round job. He just finished his Freshman year of High School and this is really the first summer I have had free time from workouts and practice other than taking him and picking him up. It has been great but at the same time, I really miss it. Mainly thru the week after work I have to figure out how to spend my time Lol. It will go by so fast, so while it's non-stop and hectic now, ENJOY IT as much as possible because it will be over before you know it.

It has been nice just setting in the stands watching tho :p
SO true. I’ve been waiting for this year forever because, with my girls in HS I had March - May off. But was HARD. I went stir crazy.

I have been asked to move to one of the elite organizations in our region. It’s a small honor to be recognized with the invite. Basically this would mean being Ohio State instead of Rutgers. I need to confirm a couple of things but assuming the answers go the right way I think I’m going to do it.

Those that have coached youth sports for any length of time know that we have some great officials. Not all of them, but some of them are amazing. We lost one of the best this weekend. My heart hurts for his family, and our wrestling community.

Just ran our final practice of the season. Final game tomorrow and then playoffs from Monday to Thursday. First time we had every girl at practice and head coach couldn’t make it and I had to keep 8 3rd grade girls focused. Holy smokes. Tougher than anything I face in my day job.

Also 4 parents sitting court staring at their phones. Not a single offer to help.

Just ran our final practice of the season. Final game tomorrow and then playoffs from Monday to Thursday. First time we had every girl at practice and head coach couldn’t make it and I had to keep 8 3rd grade girls focused. Holy smokes. Tougher than anything I face in my day job.

Also 4 parents sitting court staring at their phones. Not a single offer to help.
Even when I was supposed to be a parent only I’d always offer to help when the coaches were short handed. It’s how I got talked into a few coaching stints. Wrangling greased pigs is easier than herding a bunch of 3rd graders.

I miss coaching a little. I haven’t coached in just over a year. But I can’t bring myself to sell off my tee, net, or bucket of balls. I know I’m done for now but I’m not sure I’m ready to be done for good. I’m just going to enjoy looking for my kids as college baseball and softball start up and play it by ear.

Even when I was supposed to be a parent only I’d always offer to help when the coaches were short handed. It’s how I got talked into a few coaching stints. Wrangling greased pigs is easier than herding a bunch of 3rd graders.

I miss coaching a little. I haven’t coached in just over a year. But I can’t bring myself to sell off my tee, net, or bucket of balls. I know I’m done for now but I’m not sure I’m ready to be done for good. I’m just going to enjoy looking for my kids as college baseball and softball start up and play it by ear.
I do this too. I don’t usually volunteer to coach because I just can’t commit to being at every practice or game. But if im there I just have the coach tell me which group to take so we can get more reps.

We honestly had a really good practice. A few of the girls really enjoy competing so we started with knockout to warmup. And the two best girls aren’t the most competitive until they’ve lost. We did our normal practice routine and then did a 4-4 game. They listened pretty well because I told them if we had a good practice we could play another round or two of knockout at the end.

I do this too. I don’t usually volunteer to coach because I just can’t commit to being at every practice or game. But if im there I just have the coach tell me which group to take so we can get more reps.

We honestly had a really good practice. A few of the girls really enjoy competing so we started with knockout to warmup. And the two best girls aren’t the most competitive until they’ve lost. We did our normal practice routine and then did a 4-4 game. They listened pretty well because I told them if we had a good practice we could play another round or two of knockout at the end.
Gamifying practices helps. It gets a little intense as they get older. But then you get to start competing against them and they just raise their competitiveness. It’s a blast until you hurt your shoulder trying to match their speed.

We played in a really tough event in Arizona last weekend, then got unlucky to catch a really tough draw - in our 4 games we faced 2 D1 pitching commits, a 2026 top 20 national pitching prospect and a “bad” pitcher who’d only given up 1 run in her last 7 games. As if that wasn’t enough, we had a seriously bad run of luck with weather so we played the event with only 2 light workouts since early November. We got smoked. Worst weekend of my coaching career. Oh well, I’m now on break until the girl’s HS seasons are over.

Gamifying practices helps. It gets a little intense as they get older. But then you get to start competing against them and they just raise their competitiveness. It’s a blast until you hurt your shoulder trying to match their speed.
100%. They had me run liners with them. Definitely worry about an Achilles on the basketball court.

Won our final game and locked up 2 seed. Team played awesome today. Went up 14-0 in first half. Defense was lock down and we rebounded great and got a bunch of second and third shots. Refs kind of let the other team get away with stuff in second half and gave them every jump ball. I also sat our better players more than we normally do. I think we ended up winning 26-3.

Semis will be tough. Assuming it goes chalk the third team and us match up well. The one seed hasn’t lost this season though. We’ll have to play some tough defense against them if we move on in the finals. We probably match them 1-4 or 5. But our 6 - 8 are basically unplayable and we have to hide them.

Wrapped up my first full season with JV… it was mostly good, but at times so infuriating. Overall less stress, but working with HS kids who can’t get out of their own way and just wrestle isn’t easy. I have to constantly remind myself that this is their journey. I’m just here to give a hand when they get too lost. At least with the varsity guys, I never have to question why they are there.

I have basically decided I’m done with coaching after this summer season. I am worn down by all the crap and just not having much fun. I had a good run but it is time.

I have basically decided I’m done with coaching after this summer season. I am worn down by all the crap and just not having much fun. I had a good run but it is time.
I'm getting to the same point... all the extra stuff isn't worth it. One more year and a lot of the kids I started as 3 or 4 year olds will be graduated. My kid won't be redshirted next year, so he'll have more opportunities to compete and that will take me away anyway.

It's never been about $$ for me - I only got paid the past couple of years, and even then I donate most of it back to the team. That said, I took a pay cut this year so we could bring in another high level coach. My responsibilities didn't change much, just the events I went to were JV instead of varsity.

I'm thinking a change to the ref side might be in order. Can still stay involved and get to see a lot of great wrestling, just will be watching with a different eye. Heck, I better be decent at it since I've been yelling at them for so long :ROFLMAO:

I'm getting to the same point... all the extra stuff isn't worth it. One more year and a lot of the kids I started as 3 or 4 year olds will be graduated. My kid won't be redshirted next year, so he'll have more opportunities to compete and that will take me away anyway.

It's never been about $$ for me - I only got paid the past couple of years, and even then I donate most of it back to the team. That said, I took a pay cut this year so we could bring in another high level coach. My responsibilities didn't change much, just the events I went to were JV instead of varsity.

I'm thinking a change to the ref side might be in order. Can still stay involved and get to see a lot of great wrestling, just will be watching with a different eye. Heck, I better be decent at it since I've been yelling at them for so long :ROFLMAO:
I am a volunteer.
If I can stick it out through fall season that likely takes me to the end of my daughter's career - I am not sure she is going to play the summer after she graduates HS.
I have also thought about umpiring as a way of staying in the game.

I am a volunteer.
If I can stick it out through fall season that likely takes me to the end of my daughter's career - I am not sure she is going to play the summer after she graduates HS.
They really only pay me because I can't drive the activity bus without being a district employee :ROFLMAO:

Man, people who coach youth sports and do a good job are heroes. Let me tell you that.....It's such a thankless job, and so many who do it are jerks and corrupt the process for our youth

I could write a book about youth sports coaching. My family is huge into soccer, my sister has coached 10+ elite soccer teams of varying ages as well as a professional team. My brother in law played in the premier league and ran the competition committee for one of the biggest regions here. My dad sits on the disciplinary board of another large region here , yada yada yada

The parents are awful. It starts at like 6yrs old and never stops. They are all gonna get scholarships LOL.

The worst parts is the corruption. Some of the biggest regions have no rules against coaches also running their own private coaching clinics. So they use their "private coaching" business as a way to accept bribes to get your kids onto the team. I was aware of cases where kids never even got coached, they just gave the money. The big sports here (Soccer, Hockey), if your kid isn't in the top 5 --it really is just about how much $$$ you donate to the regional organization or how much you bribe the coach, most of the time

My daughter is 6. I played organized sports my whole life, and my daughter getting into sports already gives me heartburn

I am a volunteer.
I've thought about this, but I feel like I'm busier now that I'm not coaching. Part of that is having two on club teams at the same time, but the boy playing both FR/JV teams is INSANE.

I umpire quite a bit in an unofficial capacity. Once you volunteer to ump a scrimmage you will always get asked. I like it.

Recent exposure to high school sports has made me realize how flawed USSSA/DaddyBall is. Seeing coaches develop players for the long term success of the program, even if it means short term failures, is refreshing.

Some times being dad is the move

IMG_2183.jpegIMG_0450.jpegIMG_7244.jpegIMG_7235.jpegToday I’m officially stepping away from coaching football with my oldest son’s group. I had them from 1st grade through Jr High. We had some ups and downs and ultimately, I’m comfortable handing them off to the high school coaching staff (all new in 2023) and the program is in a great place going forward. High school went 4-6 last year in a top 3 conference in Ohio with 30 Juniors and 30 Sophomores getting meaningful playing time. Jaxon’s class is another 30 strong and they are some ballers! Ended the Jr High going 14-2 and won conference this past fall. After being offered a position on the Freshman staff, I decided to decline so I can focus on coaching my little one and be dad to Jax. I’m so excited to be dad to this group and watch them on Friday nights!

Recent exposure to high school sports has made me realize how flawed USSSA/DaddyBall is. Seeing coaches develop players for the long term success of the program, even if it means short term failures, is refreshing.
Reaghan's first year of High School soccer opened my eyes to some of the youth soccer "pay to play" flaws. I love the exposure and all the benefits her club gives her, but this year in school with these coaches she has grown so much tactically and really improved quicker than I thought.

Back