There is so much good golf being played on the tours these days… why do I find my interest waning…?

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
Even though there is SO much good golf being played on the various tours these days… I find my interest in watching is becoming less & less. Are you experiencing this…?

Last edited:
I find my interest in watching is becoming less & less.
I am the same. If there is nothing else on, I may have it on the TV playing in the background, but I am not paying attention to it, and that is only if it is an "elevated" event. I'll pay more attention to the Majors and maybe the Players as well as some of the LPGA events, but won't even tune to the non-elevated events.

I must admit, however, that my interest in watching any professional sports has waned over the years. Other than watching the Rangers play in the World Series, I hadn't watched a baseball game on TV since their last strike. I haven't watched an NBA game since Cuban blew up the Mavericks after their championship. With the "wokeness" of the NFL, if my wife weren't a fan of the Cowboys, I probably wouldn't watch any NFL games either until the playoffs. I am a big fan of the Dallas Stars and hockey in general.

No. I watch pretty much every tournament broadcast. Since I record most of them, I can just FF through the commercials.

For me it’s because I enjoy the banter and production value of YouTube golf more.

Someone smarter and more connected than me is going to start a handicapped YouTube Tour and it’s going to be a multibillion dollar venture in the next 5 years.

I lose interest When someone shoots 12 under at pebble with a bogey.These guys are just destroying every venue now.Yes, I know they are professionals.But the common man can’t even relate to their games.And swing wise, they have the same faults as many of us.But yet still shooting 12 under for 18.Flat out amazing and discouraging both

You think it’s because they’re so good? No “Sunday charge” and everything has become more similar than different. Maybe thin margins aren’t that interesting. Sure, guy wins a tournament by 1 stroke, 2nd place still wins a pile of dough. Basketball game by 1 point and there’s no 2nd place…just a loser.

Tiger vs. the field was something to see. A field full of Tiger’s is ho hum.

I used to watch a lot of golf before having kids. Now I have the majors on and that is it. If golf is on, my daughter wants to change the channel. She tells me it is boring. She’s 3.5. 😂

Nope, can’t relate. Golf is still on most weeks in my house.

Nope, can’t relate. Golf is still on most weeks in my house.
You just wait, before the end of 2026 you’re going to be able to recite every episode of Blippi by heart. 🤣

You just wait, before the end of 2026 you’re going to be able to recite every episode of Blippi by heart. 🤣
Ohh yes he will….
Fun Blippi GIF by moonbug

For majors and some elevated events, my watching hasn’t changed much. For regular events, my interest has been dwindling for a while. On the weekend, if weather is decent enough, I’m playing in the mornings and miss that coverage. In the afternoon, it might be on but my watching is hit or miss. I have it on at the office during the week but it is largely background noise.

It comes down to the fact that I want to see golf shots. I care less and less about the data overload or listening to some babbling and cliched player interview. The day I don’t have to listen to Jim Nantz go on and on will be glorious. The next guy may talk even more or be worse but Nantz will at least be gone. Less talk, more golf.

I find DPWT most interesting as the players are more relatable, less announcer hot takes, not overproduced, most is played while I’m sleeping so can watch it on DVR the next day, and fewer commercials.

I also appreciate the commentator's wit and early tee time players sitting in the box to give a breakdown of how holes are playing.

Too much people talk and expressing their opinion and interviews going on.

Boring excellence. Many weeks don't have good storylines, and I want a story to follow.

Pavon playing well again piqued my interest, as did Rahm's debut in shorts. And I stuck with it yesterday to see if Clark could shoot 59.

I think the Internet has raised standards.

In the old days you had to watch or miss out on the action. These days the good stuff is shoved into your face!

PGA Tour has gotten unrelatable to me; 540 yd par 4's that they hit with Driver/7i - not me. Or 230 yd par 3's where they hit 6i - umm no. All par 5's are easily reachable in two with a mid iron - sorry, that's not the game I've been playing all these years. I still watch the majors but that's about it for the PGA tour.
I've switched to watching LPGA almost exclusively, they still play the game of golf I know. Par 3's from 125-175yds requiring 9irons to hybrids - yep, that's me. Or 400 yd par 4's where they hit Driver/7i or 6i or even hybrid - also me. Par 5's measuring 475-525 yds are largely unreachable in 2 shots - just like this guy.

When I take the time to watch a PGA Tour broadcast, the golf is compelling. That hasn't changed for me. What has changed is the context. The absurdly huge dollars involved now and fragmentation of the best players are a downer. It is like watching someone jump off a cliff in slow motion. I have no confidence in the future of mens pro golf.

For me it's a combo of things:
A: Too many commercials has riuned the viewing experience.
B: Bland personalities for the most part
C: I can't remotely relate to the Tour level of golf or the amount of $$$$ they are getting.
D: The whole PGAT/LIV soap opera

Mic the players and caddies and the entertainment value will increase by 100x.

For me it's a combo of things:
A: Too many commercials has riuned the viewing experience.
B: Bland personalities for the most part
D: The whole PGAT/LIV soap opera
A,B and D for me. Although B is probably the biggest one for me. I liked when they used to be rivalries in golf.

Too much of the talking heads, commercials and not enough golf shots from the field. Just same ole swings from same ole people being paid way too much (not just golf). Advertising and Marketing dollars depict where the film is placed unfortunately.

I like the Majors and the random tourney but The golf played on the PGA tour is not the same game we are playing.
I find the LPGA to be much more relatable to most amateurs games.

Back