There is so much good golf being played on the tours these days… why do I find my interest waning…?

75070 I to am a big hockey fan. Always watch the Flyers but will watch any game that's on .

Relatability is an issue because they tend to only cover the best shots. There are plenty carding 5s on par 3s, hitting poor shots, scoring in the mid to high 70s, but people apparently don't want to see any of that. I do though because I can relate - it's how golf goes sometimes no matter how good or bad you are. Someone in another thread posted averages for PGAT pros and they hit the green roughly 50% of the time from 200 yards out but if you watch a broadcast you'd never know it. I talk to many who assume a 200 yard par 3 should be an automatic GIR for a pro because that's what they see on TV. I'm sure I'm in the minority on this but watching 4 hours of putting and perfect shots can get boring after a while. If the coverage was a little more balanced and I got to see more of the wrecks (to use a NASCAR analogy) I'd probably watch more golf.

The biggest turn-off for me is all the commercials. They show a lot more commercials than they do golf and it's really annoying. The next biggest turn-off is having to chase TV coverage around from a subscription channel to a cable channel to a network channel all in one day to watch a round of golf.

I’m probably in the minority. I watch golf regardless of who is playing and regardless of tour. My interest hasn’t changed.

If I want to watch a bunch of malcontent whiny beeatches, I'll turn on The View.

Part of the problem is they play basically the same course every week just in a different town. The greens and fairways are all baked out so tee shots in the fairways get 50 yards of roll and the greens are so perfectly manicured and rolling at a 12 or 13. The bunkers are perfect and the sand is consistent. Unless the ball plugs bunkers are not a hazards anymore.

One of the things I always liked about the British Open was watching players have to play in conditions that were different from what they played every other week on tour.

I want to see the best players in the world be challenged. Them playing in basically the same perfect conditions every week has clearly stopped being entertaining enough to take the time to watch.

First off I just have better things to do. If I do flip through the channels I never find a LIV event which is nice because I recognize the players but with the team play and the weird looking leaderboard on the screen it’s like a carnival thing.

The PGA tour is like watxhing the Korn Ferry Tour. Very few recognizable names of people u don’t really care about anyway. No charismatic people out there… just a bunch of robots.

I don’t even miss it

Not really though I don't usually pay a ton of attention this time of year. I'll watch some just because it's been a while since the end of last season but don't really get into it a lot until the Players and then the run-up to the Masters.

I hardly watch anymore because you get to see 1 shot and 4 putts per 4 minutes of commercials

I blame the tv broadcasts, they’re incredibly painful to watch. 12min of coverage an hour it feels like, why would I want to sit and watch that?
Which is interesting. During a 3:30 NFL broadcast, there's only about 18 minutes of football. 30 seconds of standing around. 8 seconds of play. Then commercials and halftime shows.

60:00 game clock, 210 minutes of broadcast. 18:00 of play.

I'm going to say it, golf isn't a fun watch. It's less fun when we know the millionaires are bickering with other millionaires, wondering which billionaire to suck up to.

Which is interesting. During a 3:30 NFL broadcast, there's only about 18 minutes of football. 30 seconds of standing around. 8 seconds of play. Then commercials and halftime shows.

I'm going to say it, golf isn't a fun watch. It's less fun when we know the millionaires are bickering with other millionaires, wondering which billionaire to suck up to.
Yeah seeing a football game in person doesnt work for me. Like you said hardly any action and a bunch of guys standing around with music blasting. At least on tv they have the replays and I have a remote !

But at least in golf coverage, it's pretty much all highlights.

Watching Pebble Beach on Saturday, they cut to someone (cant remember) off the side of the green with a terrible lie and said "moments ago from 13th", I said it to my son, guarantee this goes in. Boom, it did.

Find a way to get all the best players competing against each other again ASAP.

Its the same watching golf today as it was 40 yrs ago. Except for picture quality and and some technology. Mic up players and caddies. Let us hear the conversations about shot selection. Now that would take it up a notch

This is it in a nutshell. When this happens, I think most will return.
I think everyone is tired about hearing about money. We all just want a quality TV product with the best in the world competing on a regular basis. Sadly, don’t see that happening anytime soon outside of The Masters.

The PGA-LIV battles doesn't make me watch less pro golf, but tons of commercials do. 😅

The Masters, the Opens, and the Ryder Cup. And only on the last day of the tournament.

The combo of the PGA vs LIV bull combined with the constant we need more money talk has definitely caused my interest to decline.

Unlike soccer and I still don’t understand why it isn’t more popular in the US. Non stop action and the most loyal fans in the world.

Unlike soccer and I still don’t understand why it isn’t more popular in the US. Non stop action and the most loyal fans in the world.
Football might only have 18 minutes of actual play but those 18 minutes can be exciting. Sure soccer is nonstop but it’s nonstop the same way a marathon is nonstop. Most of the time is jogging from one end to the other.

Soccer is the most popular game in the world because it only requires a ball or ball like item that people can kick.

I don't want to detail this thread, keep it on topic.

But European soccer is the best structured sport in the world.

I've found that I don't watch as much golf as I did years ago as well. Commercials are a deterrent. At least they do have the "playing through" feature sometimes. I still watch the majors and the Players religiously and I will probably watch the designated events on Sundays. So far I have never watched a LIV event even though LIV has poached two of my favorite players (Smith and Rahm). The team thing isn't that attractive to me. Also, I want 72 hole tournaments. I guess my interest in the PGA Tour will increase once we get to Spring, but It's still not what it once was.

Back