There is so much good golf being played on the tours these days… why do I find my interest waning…?

I don't want to detail this thread, keep it on topic.

But European soccer is the best structured sport in the world.
One last derailing comment.

I would love to see all of the major US sports leagues adopt the promotion/demotion system. Make being a bad team mean something more than getting top 3 picks in the next years draft would be fantastically entertaining.

Notice that on a golf forum most are saying they watch less.

I didn’t watch a minute of the AT&T this weekend for maybe the first time in 15 years. I didn’t miss it.

- Post Tiger era. Phil is persona non-grata. There isn’t a transcendent player big enough to draw viewers.
- LIV diluted the talent pool, let us see millionaires argue with millionaires about money, and it exposed the ugly hypocritical underbelly of pga tour leadership.
- Production of the Broadcast. Commercials and 6 hour rounds.
- Making viewers hunt (and pay) for where to view the product
- Ball and club restrictions which make the game harder for average golfers to play (ie, generally care less about the game)
- the game is more expensive to play and takes longer to play than ever before (ie, generally care less about the game)

Trying to sell coverage at more than basic cable rates to watch golf on TV is a concept I cant believe anyone thought would be a good investment. I would imagine the return has been pathetic, or people are even sillier than I thought.

Trying to sell coverage at more than basic cable rates to watch golf on TV is a concept I cant believe anyone thought would be a good investment. I would imagine the return has been pathetic, or people are even sillier than I thought.
I’m convinced LIV was never actually created to be a viable competitor to the PGA Tour. There is no way their business model is sustainable. Signing a couple billion dollars in massive guaranteed contracts and having enough revenue to get chipotle and maybe just maybe get guac too.

LIV has done the one thing I think they wanted it to do which was give them negotiating leverage with the PGA Tour. With the tour taking money from other investors they have massively reduced LIV’s leverage. If the current talks break down I doubt that LIV will still be around in a few years. Sure the Saudis don’t actually need their investment to be profitable. It can only lose money for so long before someone says stop.

I'm watching the WM Tournament now and there's really no excitement. There are a lot of birdies but most every par four is driver and wedge for these guys, Seventeen is interesting because of the risk/reward with trying to drive the green. It's clear that whomever makes the most putts is going to win. Maybe it is time to roll back the golf ball. I would love to see how many birdies these guys can make having four, five or six irons for their approaches. Anyway there may be some drama yet to come in this round but obviously I'm switching to the Superbowl shortly. Hopefully, Charlie Hoffman can pull off a win for us old guys.

PGA Tour and it's players are total sell outs. And they did it in the worst way, actually doing the very thing they shouted the loudest against.

I'll watch the majors because of the collection of talent in one place, but probably have watched less than one hour total (might watch a shot or two when flipping channels) of the PGA Tour since Monahan revealed what a sleazebag he is. Unfortunately, some of that sleaze reflects back on the PGA Tour and it's players. Tough to watch and enjoy.

PGA Tour and it's players are total sell outs. And they did it in the worst way, actually doing the very thing they shouted the loudest against.

I'll watch the majors because of the collection of talent in one place, but probably have watched less than one hour total (might watch a shot or two when flipping channels) of the PGA Tour since Monahan revealed what a sleazebag he is. Unfortunately, some of that sleaze reflects back on the PGA Tour and it's players. Tough to watch and enjoy.
It's like they are just doing it for the money or something.

I’ve had more fun watching golf on tv the last two weeks than I have in a long time.

Double the events to watch along with THP’ers? Win.

Golf's big interest in the past isn't just about great golf, that's the easy part, what really gets people to watch and stick around is a great storyline, and that's why the old ways of a PGAT event worked so well, it wasn't about showing every shot or being action packed, it was about the people making the event interesting by using the players and shots and visuals and everything to create a story that the viewer wants to see. This new Red Zone style golf may work for the gamblers, the serious fans, maybe even some players, but overall it's not a path to success for the game, it will end in down viewers.

YARN | Show me the money. | Jerry Maguire (1996) | Video gifs by quotes |  6bcfb46c | 紗

I’ve had more fun watching golf on tv the last two weeks than I have in a long time.

Double the events to watch along with THP’ers? Win.
I watch a lot of golf. I always record the DP World Tour events, LET, etc. And, I watch both the PGAT and LIV. I remember a time when the only golf that was on TV was the PGAT (and occasionally the LPGAT), and that was just on the weekends.

But at least in golf coverage, it's pretty much all highlights.

Watching Pebble Beach on Saturday, they cut to someone (cant remember) off the side of the green with a terrible lie and said "moments ago from 13th", I said it to my son, guarantee this goes in. Boom, it did.
haha you just know it - especially when they cut to a no name player who is 3 over and has a 37 foot putt

Because there is no one golfer who stands head and shoulders above the rest. In any sport, we want to have a dominant team/player to root for, or root against. Right now, there's no one like that. Boooring!

I think a lot of people underestimate just how big the Tiger effect was, which got a boost with his 2019 Masters win, and how long it took to cool off, but here we are. He created the popular pro game we knew, and sadly it's been taken away by the unstoppable force of old age, and maybe some bad choices as well.

I think a lot of people underestimate just how big the Tiger effect was, which got a boost with his 2019 Masters win, and how long it took to cool off, but here we are. He created the popular pro game we knew, and sadly it's been taken away by the unstoppable force of old age, and maybe some bad choices as well.
Tiger being a closer was big for golf. You knew if he was anywhere near the lead going into Sunday he was going to be coming for the leader. There was going to be something exciting happening. No one playing like that today.

Scotty Scheffler #1 player in the world always near the top of the leaderboard. Tee to green clearly one of the best ever. Not a closer. His putter lets him down too often. In Phoenix he was on a charge at the end of the 3rd early 4th round. Then his putter came back to reality. After not defending his title in Phoenix he has only 1 win in the last 52 weeks.

I don't really have interest in it. I'm not willing to chase the tournaments across different channels and networks and the internet to find it. And there are way too many commercials.

I've completely lost interest in the PGA tour. I see a bunch of spoiled male brats ruining the only game left that has a level of honesty, integrity and spirituality. I grew up a block away from Riviera CC and won't even watch the Genesis, although I played college golf there 2-3x per week. Some kind of in-human genesis has occurred on the tour. I see it in the Kharma of Tiger Woods and the fan behavior in Scottsdale, that's not only tolerated but revered. And the broadcasts are just horrible, especially the talking dummies they hire.

Personally I’d be ok seeing pro golf end tbh. Have majors and what not but besides that let it burn.

No. I watch pretty much every tournament broadcast. Since I record most of them, I can just FF through the commercials.
So you watch like 20 minutes of golf a week?
That is my biggest reason for not watching anymore is they show so little actual golf.

You think it’s because they’re so good? No “Sunday charge” and everything has become more similar than different. Maybe thin margins aren’t that interesting. Sure, guy wins a tournament by 1 stroke, 2nd place still wins a pile of dough. Basketball game by 1 point and there’s no 2nd place…just a loser.

Tiger vs. the field was something to see. A field full of Tiger’s is ho hum.
I think it’s more like watching a field of Dicky Pride’s than one full of Tiger’s. A lot of players who nobody cares about.

I think it’s more like watching a field of Dicky Pride’s than one full of Tiger’s. A lot of players who nobody cares about.
if you think about it what we’re seeing right now is similar to the late 80’s & early 90’s. The Nicklaus era was ending. There were a lot of really great players the actual golf was highly competitive. But there was no dominant player who single handedly moved the needle.

The Tiger Woods era spoiled us. We expect a dominant player to hit amazing shots and win the majority of the time they tee it up.

As many others have said, there aren't a lot of great players to follow. Also the LIV/PGAT divide has thinned out the talent pool. I'm watching the PGAT events and there's only a handful of names I recognize.

We're also in a later-winter, early-spring lull. The Masters I'm sure will draw back the fans.

Back