THP Lesson Thread

Lesson 4 of 4 tonight with Scott. Spent some time talking about where the game is and whats happened on the course then we got to work.
Hit maybe a dozen balls with my 7I most went straight a few leaked right a little he didnt have much to say just that i know what i uave to do on those. He did comment it looked like i was hitting the ball longer.

Then he only let me hit 3 drives all of which i hit well and he said its a waste of time to keep going.

Next 20 minutes were all partial wedge shots working on address posture and turning through the ball. Thats a work in process.

Then played 9 holes on the short course with my 54* worked on longer shots and greenside as well. Gotta work on length of takeaway and keeping chin up but confidence will be huge here.

No luck working on sand game they were renovating rhe traps and wouldnt be done til tomorrow.

Anyhow..Gonna keep it going with the lessons no turning back now. Scott has been a phenomenal teacher and the money spent on these lessons has been money well spent

That's awesome. I agree, I think he's a great instructor.

2 hour lesson today, split between swing and short game. With swing we worked exclusively with driver. I have not liked my ball flight lately. I have two swing issues to fix that particularly manifest in driver: 1) I cup my left wrist on the back swing and 2) my upper body and lower body are out of alignment. I am hitting the ball well but these fixes will address accuracy and a more consistent ball flight shape. With short game, he has me making 2 changes. He switched me to left hand low with putting. I am very right hand dominant when I putt, and that creates a wrist flick with right hand low. I also need to entrain a more consistent putter swing tempo, only changing how far back I take the putter. We also worked on changing my chipping path to a little outside in. This creates more spin and lets me better use bounce. These are small changes that will take big effort to meaningfully incorporate.

Thank you PGA instructor!. He told me yesterday he was going to improve my short game by 65% immediately. After practicing the changes last night and this morning, I squeezed in an afternoon 9 holes. Wow. Chipping is a whole new game for me, and putting is moving in the right direction, particularly with distance control. I almost want to miss greens so can I try to get up and down. My panic there is gone. I dare say I feel confident. Swing changes have had a positive impact but will take longer to fully entrain. My 4 lessons this season are far and away the best golf investment I have ever made. This dog can hunt!

I need some help. So I have started the process of trying to find an instructor and setting up some lessons. My game needs them badly. What is the best way to do this?
I want to find someone that works for me and will help but I don't want to spend 75 bucks to figure out if a certain guy will be a good fit and then bounce to another guy. Is their anything I should be looking for?
I am really hoping this will make a big difference because my self taught swing is a disaster right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 1 hour lesson schedule for tomorrow, can't wait. Would like to work on becoming more consistent with my driver and have him look at my iron swing and see how it is coming along.

Ok to tie into my questions a couple of posts up. How long do most people do lessons? The guy I am setting it up with does 30 minute or 60 minutes. 30 minutes seems really rushed to me.
I had a really good vibe with the guy I talked to today. He listened to my goals and told me how he thinks he would help my game. Much better convo then with some other guys.

Set up my first lesson for next Wednesday. Excited to get some much needed help and hopefully take my game to another level.

Had my lesson yesterday, went very well. Was trying to become more consistent, I have some great shots and some really bad shots. I feel my handicap is as high as it is due to those "blow up" holes. Those blow up holes normally start with a terrible tee shot or a errant second shot.

Sounds like my swing is in good shape, just need a few tweaks. I am currently "over swinging", which was easy to fix. Just need to get used to not taking the club back as far as I was. Also need to bend my legs a bit more and get my hands away from my body. Finally, keep my legs a bit closer to help with my rotation.

I will hit the range a bit and get used to my new setup and I will be on my way.

Productive lesson today. After five minutes on the range he had worked out my issues with irons and driver and I was bombing it. We worked on impact position. Shoulders pointing towards target, hips slightly open to target, hands ahead of club head and arms connected to the body. He said its as important to keep that lead arm connected as it is the back arm, so he wanted me to work on that. Focusing on that impact position will give me form that prohibits that over the top move.

Then worked on short game. A more compact swing, focusing on that impact position. Tough go of it at first but then I grooved it and was chipping very well. Excited to work on this. He approved of the 60* wedge too, said it was a great club for chipping.

Little tune-up lesson today with my dad's member-guest tournament coming up later this week where I'm his guest. I played a round with my instructor back on Friday, so he had a good look at my game at that point. The slower and tighter backswing idea that we were working on at the last lesson went completely out the window when I played on Friday. So we started off hitting 8 irons and 6 irons, working on that feel. He also wanted me to engage my lower body earlier in the swing, so the feel that we worked on was feeling that my left (front) hip was rotating behind me to start the downswing instead of sliding towards the target. After working on the irons, we worked on the driver. At first, my ball speeds were around 148-150 mph. My instructor then told me to feel like I was really trying to smash my driver to see what would happen. After a few swings, my ball speed jumped up to 153-155 mph. What he told me is that with my irons, I don't hold back in the downswing, but he felt like with my driver, I was swinging easier in an attempt to guide the ball. Making the same aggressive downswing with my driver like I do with my irons resulted in higher ball speed and less sidespin. It also results in me consistently hitting draws instead of having a 2-way miss. I'm feeling good about my game after today; I've got 1 more round up here tomorrow, then off to South Carolina for the tournament on Wednesday.

Just completed my first lesson ever. It was an awesome experience. He was super easy to work with and really knew what was going on with my swing.
Found out I close the club face to much on impact and my slices were really just hosel rockets. So we started with the ball farther out on setup and I was hitting great high iron shots.
Moved on to driver. Club face is really closed and that has caused me to have it to far back in my stance.
We did a ton of grip work and although it was uncomfortable at first, I got a lot better with it.
Set up a second lesson for late next week and am gonna put some time in this weekend trying to work on what we worked on.
So happy I finally did this. He thought that my swing was good but could become really good with some smaller changes. Which is very encouraging.

Been a while since I've had a lesson but had to go see me because I wasn't happy with my play, took a couple videos and looked at'em. My left knee was moving down and toward the ball and my left hip was moving with it causing me to tilt toward the target at the top then away at impact. Ran through some drills to keep my lower body more stable(feet/knees together) also focused on tempo.

Amazing what little fixes can do to consistency

I think I need a tune up soon. I've been hitting the ball really well and solidly overall, but the hook issues from time to time can be maddening. I'm about 99% sure it's due to an in to out swing path, because when I open the clubface slightly at address I get a straight ball pushed slightly right or a baby draw, depending on how much I open it. Not sure if I should just roll with it or try to get closer to straight back, straight thru.

Time to schedule lesson #5.

Driver miss and iron miss right is becoming far to frequent for my liking. And while the short game has gotten better, it is still a work on progress. And definitely want to spend some time on sand shots. Thinking I'll set it up for next week as my final tune up for the Cup

Mike, have you seen the rerouting of the swing plane take shape and take hold where a confidence level is up?

Mike, have you seen the rerouting of the swing plane take shape and take hold where a confidence level is up?

I had 1 swing a few weeks ago where I thought for a second I felt it happen again but outside of that it hasnt reared its ugly head yet. Definitely WAY more confident standing over the ball, just need to get these crazy distances figured out and continue to work to roll the hands over at impact and I'll be in a MUCH better place.

Tee game while long has gotten sloppy and has put me in some no bueno spots/penalty strokes so that needs touched up too cause Im throwing shots away there

From a pure gold stand point it's been really fun to follow

I have to comment on Mike's game off the tee. Night and Day from the last time we played. Really fun to see how these lessons are working for you.

Stopped in to see my instructor yesterday. Not wanting to make any major changes, but wanted him to take a look at some basics such as setup...etc.

Made a small adjustment in my setup, then gave me a few things to work on AFTER the event. But said what I was doing now is certainly playable.

THP Lesson Thread

Had my second lesson yesterday. Instructor told me after a few balls hit that we couldn't do what he had planned because I was already a couple of weeks past where he Thought I would be. So that was good.
Really working on ball position (especially driver) and opening up the clubface at setup. Also worked on stance, softer grip, and ground contact. Tempo was the last major thing because I started to get to quick.
Feel good about the changes but everything feels so weird. I went to a different range later to work on things with some mixed results.

The new journey begins tomorrow. I went to the pro shop with the names my prior instructor left with me before he moved and talked to them about each guy. There seemed to be a consensus that I should try one of them in particular, so I am. First session is tomorrow at 3pm. I'm a little apprehensive because I liked my last guy so much but it's time to get some "stuff" straightened out.

You won't regret it Frank.

So my goals going into the lessons are:

1. Establish a relationship with an instructor
2. Tighten up what I expect is a host of loose things with my swing
3. Get off the tees w/out the weak slice

all the best buddy!

I'm going to the range tomorrow to see if I can get this garbage under control. if I can't, I'll be contacting my instructor next week.

Good luck Frank! I'm going to need to do the same thing and find a new instructor in a month or so once I move.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Back